Unicomp Unix Keyboard

BPX-926

29 May 2017, 22:20

I discovered this today. It is shown here.

It has the "Unix" layout that is also used on the HHKB.

Has anyone here got one?

What did you think?
Does it work with regular Windows and Linux PCs?

Cattus_D

29 May 2017, 23:11

I don't have one, but it's probably a variant on their Model M. If in doubt I'd send them an e-mail. They're a good company.

str8away

30 May 2017, 00:25

I have one and really like it. It is so hard to go back to a non-split backspace on my coworkers' keyboards.

It works on windows and Linux fine. The help key is the only key that doesn't seem to register on windows.

BPX-926

30 May 2017, 09:30

str8away wrote: I have one and really like it. It is so hard to go back to a non-split backspace on my coworkers' keyboards.

It works on windows and Linux fine. The help key is the only key that doesn't seem to register on windows.
Thank you for your reply! I am glad to hear it brings you enjoyment to use. I am happy works on Windows and Linux PCs.

Is your keyboard stock? Have you made any modifications?

Would you be able to share some photos of it? There is only one very poor photo on the Unicomp website. I would like to see the keyboard closer.

str8away

30 May 2017, 23:49

Here is the mostly stock version:

The only mods I've done was dying some key caps. The goal was for them to be black they turned out more bronze.

emdude
Model M Apologist

30 May 2017, 23:51

Wow, I didn't know Unicomp offered full-width 1.75u keys! :shock:

str8away

31 May 2017, 00:53

emdude wrote:Wow, I didn't know Unicomp offered full-width 1.75u keys! :shock:
You have to be a bit creative in how you ask for it. The key is to ask for the right shift from the Japan 106 set. It only comes in the pebble color.

BPX-926

31 May 2017, 09:36

str8away wrote: You have to be a bit creative in how you ask for it. The key is to ask for the right shift from the Japan 106 set. It only comes in the pebble color.
Thank you very much for sharing the photos! It's a lovely keyboard.

Thank you also for sharing how to get a non-step Control key replacement. This is one thing that was bothering me a little.

Does the keycap Japan 106 Right Shift need any modification or changes to work, or does it simply pop in place without any issues?

Are the tab and backspace keys the same size?

How did you dye the keys? Was it an easy process?

andrewjoy

31 May 2017, 10:41

str8away wrote:
emdude wrote:Wow, I didn't know Unicomp offered full-width 1.75u keys! :shock:
You have to be a bit creative in how you ask for it. The key is to ask for the right shift from the Japan 106 set. It only comes in the pebble color.

That tip is amazing.

Do they do the old style case in the UNIX layout ?

str8away

01 Jun 2017, 03:08

BPX-926 wrote:
str8away wrote: You have to be a bit creative in how you ask for it. The key is to ask for the right shift from the Japan 106 set. It only comes in the pebble color.
Thank you very much for sharing the photos! It's a lovely keyboard.

Thank you also for sharing how to get a non-step Control key replacement. This is one thing that was bothering me a little.

Does the keycap Japan 106 Right Shift need any modification or changes to work, or does it simply pop in place without any issues?
It just pops into place
BPX-926 wrote:Are the tab and backspace keys the same size?
They're the same size.
BPX-926 wrote:How did you dye the keys? Was it an easy process?
I used iPoly fabric dye. It was a pretty easy process. Just boil some water, add the dye, then the caps. Though I don't think I would do it again as it made my apartment smell like ink for a couple days. I'd probably just buy caps in the color I want from unicomp.

BPX-926

03 Jun 2017, 09:35

Thanks for the replies and for sharing your knowledge. I really do appreciate it.

I think that the Wiki should have a page about this keyboard. May I use your photos on this wiki page? I would give attribution of course.

str8away

03 Jun 2017, 15:24

BPX-926 wrote:Thanks for the replies and for sharing your knowledge. I really do appreciate it.

I think that the Wiki should have a page about this keyboard. May I use your photos on this wiki page? I would give attribution of course.
Yeah for sure

Return to “Keyboards”