Explain This!

RBithrey

31 May 2017, 14:31

Randomly found these on a Crowd-funding website earlier....

Can somebody explain the point?!

Thanks!
Attachments
_yea0299.jpg
_yea0299.jpg (143.69 KiB) Viewed 3163 times

MrDuul

31 May 2017, 14:38

It's a keyboard on a lego base platform so you can add your own bezel / border around the keyboard using lego blocks.

Sankart

31 May 2017, 15:24

I actually like the idea. As a kid I would've loved a keyboard like this I think.
Asking for the point on an enthusiasts forum always seems weird to me. What's the point of anything we do here? Science isn't about why, it's about why not!

MrDuul

31 May 2017, 15:26

I like it too, very interesting!!!

Findecanor

31 May 2017, 15:30

There was once a LEGO fad at a former workplace of mine. It started with single minifig packs available at the local supermarket where we used to shop for lunch, and at the end people's desks were adorned with buildings and Lego Technics vehicles, with parts sourced from other builders on BrickLink (and another site I forget the name of).
This kind of keyboard would have gone down very well...
Last edited by Findecanor on 31 May 2017, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

j0d1

31 May 2017, 16:05

I also like the idea, being a fan of LEGO too.

Obviously, the keyboard must remain on your desk because frustration will ensue when moving this thing around!

By the way, you could achieve the same thing with the IBM Model M bezel. The curved case creates a little wall above the function keys that are ideal to retain rectangular LEGO plates.

RBithrey

31 May 2017, 23:09

Findecanor wrote: There was once a LEGO fad at a former workplace of mine. It started with single minifig packs available at the local supermarket where we used to shop for lunch, and at the end people's desks were adorned with buildings and Lego Technics vehicles, with parts sourced from other builders on BrickLink (and another site I forget the name of).
This kind of keyboard would have gone down very well...
Indeed it would! The Lego Technic side of things is great.

This keyboard managed to raise over $4 million on an Asian crowdfunding site, so it's popular for sure! The website for the people that produce this says it runs MX clones. They don't look that great to be honest haha but I'm not the best judge!

RBithrey

31 May 2017, 23:11

j0d1 wrote: I also like the idea, being a fan of LEGO too.

Obviously, the keyboard must remain on your desk because frustration will ensue when moving this thing around!

By the way, you could achieve the same thing with the IBM Model M bezel. The curved case creates a little wall above the function keys that are ideal to retain rectangular LEGO plates.
There's an idea lurking there.....Sure, it would actually ruin the Model M itself, but you could possibly attach LEGO rectangular plates to it....

Daniel Beardsmore

31 May 2017, 23:28

RBithrey wrote: This keyboard managed to raise over $4 million on an Asian crowdfunding site, so it's popular for sure! The website for the people that produce this says it runs MX clones.
So this isn't the same as the one that uses i-Rocks hybrid Alps/Cherry clone switches?

RBithrey

31 May 2017, 23:36

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
RBithrey wrote: This keyboard managed to raise over $4 million on an Asian crowdfunding site, so it's popular for sure! The website for the people that produce this says it runs MX clones.
So this isn't the same as the one that uses i-Rocks hybrid Alps/Cherry clone switches?
They had MX stems from the pictures i think. The Alps element I don't about I'm afraid. I'm only going to hazard a guess that it will use their Alps/MX Clones yes. I'll check on their website to confirm it :)

RBithrey

31 May 2017, 23:38

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
It turns out they do haha, if you scroll down the associated webpage, it says it does.

See here! http://www.i-rocks.com/products/illumin ... l-keyboard

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Jun 2017, 00:20

What does need explaining is the story behind this keyboard and the switches it uses. It's documented in detail, seemingly, but only in Chinese. I still don't know exactly what part alps.tw played in this project.

Return to “Keyboards”