Looking to pick up two new boards

silk186

22 Jun 2017, 02:24

As the title says, I'm looking to pick up two new keyboards to replace my current dying model.
My current one is the Keycool 87 (browns)

I'm replacing my current board because it is having issues and I would like to go smaller due to limited desk space.
It seems the this board can't be saved. Certain keys have issues of not registering keystrokes or registering multiple keystrokes. This was partially resolved by a software fix (key chatter fix).

I'm going to China in a couple of weeks so I can get a great price on both. I was thinking about bringing a few extras back to gauge interest and I'm wondering about switch type, as I don't have any friends that use these.
As a PhD student and part-time gamer, when time permits I'm thinking to go with blue for the AK33 and browns for the RK61.

What are popular switches for these formats?

The AK33 (82 keys) comes with black or blue switches
The RK61 (61 keys) claims to have cherry switches and comes with red/blue/black/brown all for the same price.

Keycool 87

AK33 RGB

RK61 Cherry (wireless)

Phenix
-p

22 Jun 2017, 09:56

Depends what you like. I for myself love mx clears.
Mx browns are ok.
Gaterons are not bad either.

silk186

22 Jun 2017, 17:06

Clears are not an option. I've settled on these two as they have the features and size I want.
I'm thinking Blue and red for myself.

I'm curious which switches are most popular in smaller form factors.

Phenix
-p

22 Jun 2017, 19:09

smaller form factor = likely for travel = a silent switch (linear, tactile)

mech greenhand

03 Jul 2017, 16:49

Keycool uses kailh switches and RK61 has longhua switch and cherry switch options.

TuxKey
LLAP

03 Jul 2017, 17:42

if you live in Europe i recommend you check mykeyboard.eu he has a couple of nice keyboards also Leopold..
Way way better than Keycool but perhaps that's out of your budget ;)

DerpyDash_xAD

03 Jul 2017, 20:41

TuxKey wrote: if you live in Europe i recommend you check mykeyboard.eu he has a couple of nice keyboards also Leopold..
Way way better than Keycool but perhaps that's out of your budget ;)
oooh he's got the leo 660c, I might have to buy that when I'm drunk next month if I like the hhkb.

Return to “Keyboards”