Lubing ALPS switch stems

JollySkeletor

22 Jun 2017, 12:04

Recently got my hands on some https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php ... mechlube_2

It's pretty viscous, what would be the correct method of lubing a bunch of ALPS switch stems with this? It doesn't flow so I guess it's not going to be as simple as sticking some of it in a bag and shaking it up. Thanks in advance

Cattus_D

24 Jun 2017, 09:47

Do you already have the product? If not, I'd contemplate using something else. The only way I can think of involves carefully applying the stuff to each and every individual stem with toothpicks or something of the kind.

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Jun 2017, 16:59

That product is absolutely great for stabilizers, wires, and larger moving components, but do not put it on switches under any circumstances!

If you lube switches at all, you want something very thin and you want to use only a tiny amount. If possible, look for a "dry" lube so that it does not collect dust over time.

Sankart

24 Jun 2017, 21:10

I only ever tried to lube some Matias QC switches in the Alps universe, but personally I liked A LOT of Victorinox best. Like I drowned the slider in it. It doesn't work with original Alps very well though :(

JollySkeletor

25 Jun 2017, 01:36

fohat wrote: That product is absolutely great for stabilizers, wires, and larger moving components, but do not put it on switches under any circumstances!

If you lube switches at all, you want something very thin and you want to use only a tiny amount. If possible, look for a "dry" lube so that it does not collect dust over time.
Do you know of any decent dry lubes for this purpose? It's not really my area of expertise.

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 Jun 2017, 04:24

The search for the ideal dry lube for Alps has been going on for quite some time.

I have experimented with a DuPont PTFE dry film lubricant that claimed to be safe for all plastics.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

25 Jun 2017, 05:28

I've been using this:

It's been working well, I feel. I've used them on the three main types of alps. Sometimes I fee a big difference, and other times there is no noticeable change. Someone told me once that when it comes to lubing alps: "mileage may vary." I pretty much agree with that. Though, I've had some scratchy alps come out pretty well with this stuff.

JollySkeletor

26 Jun 2017, 01:52

It seems to the closest thing I can get in the UK is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cyclin ... +lubricant

Looks like a re-branding, but i'm a bit weary of the use of the word solvent in the description.

Return to “Keyboards”