What's your dream keyboard?

DerpyDash_xAD

09 Jul 2017, 22:13

zslane wrote: Yeah, well that's why I relegate the 60% format to a job it is more suited to: the iPad. Driving an iPad is an activity that makes most of the keys outside the base 60% block unnecessary anyway. However, I would never use anything smaller than a full-size keyboard with a full-blown desktop system where I'm going to be doing real work. That would be like trying to edit a feature film on an iPhone. I'm sure some nutjob out there will claim it can be done, but nobody with any sense would want to.
You even insist on a 10keypad?

I will admit they are occasionally useful, but a dedicated numpad unit is far far better than one hanging off the end of a 104key.

Zobeid Zuma

30 Jul 2017, 00:59

I think the new Model F77 ought to be pretty close to my dream keyboard. However, if I had the magic power to reach in and rearrange things exactly to my liking, it probably would come out looking something like this. . .

Move the nav pad to the left, opposite from the mouse. Split space bar because duh! All the bottom-row modifiers the same size, so the keycaps can be rearranged freely on Mac / Linux / Windows. Not sure what to do with the remaining blank keys, but I'd eventually think of something.

Phenix
-p

30 Jul 2017, 01:39

Zobeid Zuma wrote:I think the new Model F77 ought to be pretty close to my dream keyboard. However, if I had the magic power to reach in and rearrange things exactly to my liking, it probably would come out looking something like this. . .

Move the nav pad to the left, opposite from the mouse. Split space bar because duh! All the bottom-row modifiers the same size, so the keycaps can be rearranged freely on Mac / Linux / Windows. Not sure what to do with the remaining blank keys, but I'd eventually think of something.
that could be done with a 60+numpad or 60+macroad (like maxipad).
obv its not. goona look 'Kustom'

Zobeid Zuma

30 Jul 2017, 01:44

Phenix wrote: that could be done with a 60+numpad or 60+macroad (like maxipad).
obv its not. goona look 'Kustom'
I have actually thought of that, and considered it, but....... I'd feel better with that sidebar on the keyboard if possible. Also, programmable layers wouldn't extend to an accessory pad.

depletedvespene

30 Jul 2017, 01:56

I'm a Model M fanatic, so I'd go with a Model M with a custom physical layout suited to what I think (YMMV) the Model M should have been. This is what I call the "Model N":

Main differences: Nav bar to the left of the alphanum cluster, an improved numlock to the right. Me thinks (YMMV) that had this been the actual layout of the Model M, perhaps TKLs wouldn't have shown up. This could have led to the full phasing out of the nav layer in the numlock pad and its replacement with something more interesting or useful afterwards.

(as long as we're dreaming)

And yes, I already ordered an F77. :-)

Return to “Keyboards”