Best Year and Model Number for Model M

THATGUY69

18 Jul 2017, 03:56

Hello, I have a model M from 1988 and I am very happy with it, but i'm just curious what the best year of the model m is. Are we going by the older the M is the better? I'm just curious and any insight would be helpful. Plus model numbers would help.

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Jul 2017, 04:18

I like the old ones with the heavy plates. I also like the 1390131s with metal badges instead of plastic labels.

wobbled

18 Jul 2017, 11:16

They all pretty much feel identical

Only the sound and internal build quality changes and usually in those 2 cases the older the board the better.

emdude
Model M Apologist

18 Jul 2017, 17:58

Yes, from a build quality standpoint, older definitely is better. I really enjoy the early 1390120/131 Model Ms.

That said, the later Lexmark Model Ms, around the '93/94 point (I haven't had much experience with the later 4th gen ones), are really nice too I think. I'd say those are a bit bassier with a pleasantly consistent ping (probably from the thinner steel plate) that is unlike the more varied, slightly musical ping of early Ms. These Lexmark Ms are typically the ones with the flimsy attached cord, e.g. 52G9658, 82G2383.

Honestly, I think I like the middle year ('89-'92 or thereabouts) Model Ms the least, particularly the ones with the white barrel frames.

EDIT: I'll also add that Unicomps are very nice as well, if you can put up with the poor build quality. The buckling springs in those feel snappier and the sound is "clackier" and not at all metallic like an IBM/Lexmark M.

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Jul 2017, 19:12

I don't know, I have a 1391401 from 1991 and a 2003 Unicomp and both of them are especially nice.

Chyros

18 Jul 2017, 22:25

The best model M is a 1388032 from 1985 8) .

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Jul 2017, 22:41

I'm inclined to agree. :D

HAL

18 Jul 2017, 22:47

I concur
This is the label of mine
This is the label of mine
IBM_Model_M_industrial_1388032_1985-09-12_label_1024x576.jpg (182.28 KiB) Viewed 12959 times
The 1388032 was the first version of the Model M keyboard that can be used with a PC.

wobbled

18 Jul 2017, 22:48

Chyros wrote: The best model M is a 1388032 from 1985 8) .

How many souls do you want for this keyboard?

HAL

18 Jul 2017, 23:18

Also there is the 1386033:
I probably own (one of) the oldest Model M keyboard(s).
I probably own (one of) the oldest Model M keyboard(s).
IBM_Model_M_1386303_1985-06-13_label.jpg (469.19 KiB) Viewed 12940 times
which is the first version of the Model M keyboard.
Inside there is a polyester support for the keyboard, which in later model got replaced by a stub on the bottom half of the case.
Inside there is a polyester support for the keyboard, which in later model got replaced by a stub on the bottom half of the case.
IBM_Model_M_terminal_1386303_19850613_polyester_support_for_keyboard_assembly_1024x576.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 12940 times
The 1386033 could only be used with terminals.

Chyros

19 Jul 2017, 08:26

Yeah, but the 1386033 isn't as good as the 1388032; not PC, not industrial, not black-badge ^^ .

Honestly, and I'm not just saying it because I have one, but that model really stands out for me.

(the one in the picture isn't mine though, but you can see mine in a bunch of videos)

MrDuul

19 Jul 2017, 08:41

Chyros wrote: Yeah, but the 1386033 isn't as good as the 1388032; not PC, not industrial, not black-badge ^^ .

Honestly, and I'm not just saying it because I have one, but that model really stands out for me.

(the one in the picture isn't mine though, but you can see mine in a bunch of videos)
I got your industrial right here *shakes grey spray paint*

wobbled

19 Jul 2017, 10:57

MrDuul wrote:
Chyros wrote: Yeah, but the 1386033 isn't as good as the 1388032; not PC, not industrial, not black-badge ^^ .

I got your industrial right here *shakes grey spray paint*
Industrials aren't entirely grey though, they're a merge of green and grey so you can put your spray can down and admire the most beautiful variants of M's!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jul 2017, 10:57

Chyros wrote: The best model M is a 1388032 from 1985 8)
Let me correct that for you:

My best model M is a 1388032 from 1985... :lol:
Chyros wrote: Honestly, and I'm not just saying it because I have one, but that model really stands out for me.
Really? :lol:
MrDuul wrote: I got your industrial right here *shakes grey spray paint*
Right, or just get a indy case from Unicomp for a few pennies... :maverick:

Chyros

20 Jul 2017, 11:11

I have a lot of Ms, Seebart :p .

Seriously though, who could say no? Rainbow plate, industrial case, and the black badge, which is the coolest one they ever used. Easy pick, I'd say.

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 11:20

Chyros wrote: I have a lot of Ms, Seebart :p .

Seriously though, who could say no? Rainbow plate, industrial case, and the black badge, which is the coolest one they ever used. Easy pick, I'd say.
Industrial SSK's with the sexy blue keys are so much better :P

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 11:30

Chyros wrote: I have a lot of Ms, Seebart :p .

It's not an "easy pick" because it's not readily available in Europe that's the joke. Even my 1390148 from 1986 does not show up often and it's verified these very early M's don't differ in quality. Of course no one would "say no" to any of these. :mrgreen:
IMGP6165.JPG
IMGP6165.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 12780 times
Let's have a look at what snuci said about indy vs. regualr Model M builds, in his case SSK's though:

photos-f62/ibm-industrial-ssk-differences-t16586.html
snuci wrote:
seebart wrote: Did you ever weigh these I'd love to know how these compare to regular SSK's?
The internals look identical to the normal SSK keyboards. As far as I know, there's only two things that might make these "industrial". One would be to take them apart and see of there are any differences in the membranes. Sadly, that won't happen. The other is to check the components to see if they are industrial rated.

I've already taken all of my industrials apart when tey originally came from Ford, including the SSK keyboard above and I don't recall any components being industrial. Industrial rated components are specially made with higher tolerances that normal components. For example, integrated circuits (IC chips) have a higher and lower temperature rating; making them more robust and tolerable for extreme conditions. I did not see anything like this. To be fair, however, these components are usually found in military/space applications so I didn't expect to find those components.

All that said, I think the internals are identical to normal SSKs so weights would be the same. These industrial SSKs are in such small runs that I don't think it's feasible to be internally different anyway.

Chyros

20 Jul 2017, 12:48

The blue-key SSKs are great if you're into SSKs :p .

MrDuul

20 Jul 2017, 12:51

Snuci is right, nothing to special about Industrial SSK insides. Just the exterior looks different then a normal SSK.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

20 Jul 2017, 12:51

The best is my "aliencaps", for sure.
(I'm no photographer, as you can tell.)
Last edited by DustGod on 20 Jul 2017, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 13:03

DustGod wrote: The best is my "aliencaps", for sure.
Those are pretty rare for sure. Fact is there are many variations of the "regular" Model M like this one recently arguably much more exotic than most other indy M:

photos-f62/local-ibm-industrial-model-m ... 16930.html

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 13:40

MrDuul wrote: Snuci is right, nothing to special about Industrial SSK insides. Just the exterior looks different then a normal SSK.
Well they are far more rare than most beamsprings so in that sense they are special.

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 13:49

wobbled wrote:
MrDuul wrote: Snuci is right, nothing to special about Industrial SSK insides. Just the exterior looks different then a normal SSK.
Well they are far more rare than most beamsprings so in that sense they are special.
Possibly but we've seen quite a few of them here over the years...here's some random post from some duck... :mrgreen:

photos-f62/ibm-industrial-complex-t1020 ... industrial
Spoiler:
gray12.jpg
gray12.jpg (186.95 KiB) Viewed 12721 times

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 13:51

To be fair we've seen quite a number of 'impossibly rare' keyboards on this forum

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 13:54

wobbled wrote: To be fair we've seen quite a number of 'impossibly rare' keyboards on this forum
Very true and it does not seem to be decreasing, this being a contender for the crown of rarity IMO:

photos-f62/ibm-4412501-4978-display-sta ... battleship

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 13:57

Man if I found something like that I'd be the cockiest mofo here! I just hope someone gets really lucky and finds a pallet of kishsavers and f77's, I've always preferred F's to Beamsprings.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Jul 2017, 14:01

"Best" is a relative term so this is hard to give an appropriate answer. To some people, "best" means constructed the best to others, it means the rarest and most valuable.

In my view, when someone says "Model M" keyboard, I only think of three different models. the best Model M has to be a PC keyboard because it has to be usable from the factory with no modification, regardless of AT or PS/2 cable. I also personally like the oldest ones of anything I collect. For me, the three different Model Ms I think of are as follows:
1390120 1390131 1391401
Image Image Image
All the rest are variations on key caps, interface (including terminal), colour (including industrial) and size (SSK being a variant of the 1391401). Since the 122 and 104 key keyboards are terminal based, they are out. To me, it comes down to one of these three and based on this, the earliest example; before cost cutting measures start to cut corners here and there.

From this lot, 139401 is out. It's newer, doesn't have the classic IBM metallic square label that was proudly adorned on much of IBMs equipment at the time and is where the redesign assisting in cutting costs in the construction. Between the 139120 and the 139131 it's a coin flip unless you have a preference for status lights. If I had to choose, I would personally choose the 1390120 because it is the first Model M that I had and it has to be from 1986; my earliest being from January 13, 1986 given to me by an IBM employee that knew I was "into" Model M keyboards because I used to use it at work (and drive people crazy).

Now, if you want to talk about "best" as being rarest, that's a whole other matter. That has to go to the Model M industrial SSK (still a toss up between the blue key and the raised emblem). I see comments about my comment in this thread about construction. Even though I said they are constructed the same as a regular SSK, don't get me wrong, they are rare. The rarity is attributed to the small batches initially produced (you can check the ID numbers on the rear labels) couple with the fact that most of those would have been discarded/destroyed because of their industrial nature. You see then pop up here and in other keyboard forums but that's because those who find or acquire them celebrate their find. If we were to have something similar with Model Ms, the ratio of threads would make them a blip.

"Best" is in the eye of the beholder so that needs to be clarified for an appropriate response but it is a great discussion thread.

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 14:14

snuci wrote: I see comments about my comment in this thread about construction. Even though I said they are constructed the same as a regular SSK...
Yes, that's why I quoted you. A detail comparison of a indy 1388032 and a 1390120 would be very interesting to me and it would not suprise me if the result was the same. I'll add rarity does not make for greatness in anything.

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 14:30

My IBM Model M2 rubber dome is quite clearly the best there is. That thing gives topre nightmares.

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 14:47

wobbled wrote: My IBM Model M2 rubber dome is quite clearly the best there is. That thing gives topre nightmares.
o-rly-owl-srsly.jpg
o-rly-owl-srsly.jpg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 12670 times

Return to “Keyboards”