ANSI NMB RT-8251C

Harshmallow

18 Jul 2017, 21:48

Has anyone seen this particular model before? I don't usually get too excited about a board having an ANSI layout with a 'normal' backspace and enter layout (normal to me in Canada anyway!), but NMB was known for really sticking to those damn 1u backspace keys. I wish it weren't so overpriced on Ebay though...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NMB-RT8251C-spac ... 3094378809

E3E

18 Jul 2017, 21:51

Harshmallow wrote: Has anyone seen this particular model before? I don't usually get too excited about a board having an ANSI layout with a 'normal' backspace and enter layout (normal to me in Canada anyway!), but NMB was known for really sticking to those damn 1u backspace keys. I wish it weren't so overpriced on Ebay though...

Yeah, I've seen it...

Today. :P

I ran a google search on the name and found only one image that matched, so they are rather scarce it seems. It's a bit expensive though yeah. It was something that caught my eye too though. I was considering it, but I can't open up that can of worms right now.

Harshmallow

18 Jul 2017, 21:59

E3E wrote:
Harshmallow wrote: Has anyone seen this particular model before? I don't usually get too excited about a board having an ANSI layout with a 'normal' backspace and enter layout (normal to me in Canada anyway!), but NMB was known for really sticking to those damn 1u backspace keys. I wish it weren't so overpriced on Ebay though...

Yeah, I've seen it...

Today. :P

I ran a google search on the name and found only one image that matched, so they are rather scarce it seems. It's a bit expensive though yeah. It was something that caught my eye too though. I was considering it, but I can't open up that can of worms right now.
I may consider making an offer if the listing stays up for a while - I just love Space Invader/NMB boards so much at this point after having used a tactile one at work for over 2 months now. I do have a split spacebar board coming soon though, thanks to ndp on these forums :)

Touch_It

18 Jul 2017, 22:45

I would love to have one.

My holy grail nmb board would be ANSI with windows keys and a split space bar. though I don't think that exists. so I'd settle for a split space bar ANSI. 1u backspace is a killer.

Harshmallow

18 Jul 2017, 22:48

No one has ever spotted one in the wild yet, but that doesn't mean it never existed. The one on its way to me is a clean split space bar model with windows keys :) It has a BAE and small backspace, but what can you do - it's as close to NMB perfection as I think I'll get.

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Jul 2017, 00:02

There are a few rare straight-ANSI layout NMB keyboards with horizontal Enter and 2u Backspace.
Last edited by fohat on 19 Jul 2017, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.

Engicoder

19 Jul 2017, 04:21

There was a another RT-8251C on ebay in the US about a year or so ago. And the seller wanted an equally large sum for it. One also sold in 2013 for about $30.

Harshmallow

19 Jul 2017, 04:56

Some of the 2u Backspace ANSI NMB boards I have seen before ended up being NMB Dome with slider boards, this one is the first I've seen with the PBT caps and clicky black switches. I've seen others with the RT8251C model number that had the standard layout with 1u backspace though...so I'm not sure what gives. Perhaps those were RT8251C+ . The + must be the difference.

EDIT: It looks like one of these sold back in 2013 for $30USD :*(

Engicoder

19 Jul 2017, 05:03

Harshmallow wrote: Some of the 2u Backspace ANSI NMB boards I have seen before ended up being NMB Dome with slider boards, this one is the first I've seen with the PBT caps and clicky black switches. I've seen others with the RT8251C model number that had the standard layout with 1u backspace though...so I'm not sure what gives. Perhaps those were RT8251C+ . The + must be the difference.

EDIT: It looks like one of these sold back in 2013 for $30USD :*(
The '+' generally means AT style 'Big Ass Enter'. As far as comparing the rubber dome NMB's to space invaders, the quick tell is the Caps Lock key. Space invaders have stepped caps lock and rubber dome do not. There are a few odd space invaders boards with non stepped caps lock, but they are exceptions to the rule.

Harshmallow

19 Jul 2017, 15:42

Yep, that makes sense then. Also - the NMB dome/slider boards have square-ish keycaps that don't have nearly the same profile as the mechanical's PBT caps. They're also not usually PBT as far as I know.

balotz

20 Jul 2017, 10:41

Knew this was my board as soon as I saw the the title. I put it on eBay but if anyone's interested then I'm open to offers.

Harshmallow

20 Jul 2017, 22:08

I just don't have the money that this is probably worth right now. Maybe when mid-year bonus time comes around at the end of the month.

Return to “Keyboards”