Looking for an IBM SpaceSaver II

rubenvann

22 Jul 2017, 18:00

Hi there,

I am looking for a nice compact standalone keyboard with trackpoint with three buttons. So far, the only keyboard that I've found that satisfies all my wishes is the IBM SpaceSaver II. The Lenovo Compact keyboard also has a trackpoint, but I don't like some other aspects of the layout.

Does anyone know where I can get an IBM SpaceSaver II? The only one I've found is here on ebay, but even though it is stated that they ship to Europe, I can't order one on ebay (it tells me to contact the seller, and they don't reply). If anyone is able to get one for me and ship it, I'd be very happy!

If someone knows an alternative to get one, I'd be very happy too. If I can't find a SpaceSaver II, I might even consider to try to build my own keyboard :lol:

subcat

22 Jul 2017, 18:31

I know there are JIS ones available on yahoo auctions.

rubenvann

22 Jul 2017, 22:41

I'm actually looking for ANSI keyboards, but thanks anyway. I probably should have mentioned this in the first place.
BTW, if someone is willing to buy one from ebay and ship it to me, I'm willing to throw in a little bit extra, so you can make some profit :)

Reflotron

27 Jul 2017, 17:32

Is it actually worth getting one of those? I received a used SpaceSaver II shipped from abroad a year ago, went through the hassle with customs etc. - but given its age and build quality it wasn't actually very usable. After some light use parts came off. The trackpoint wasn't very nice for modern resolutions either. Probably depends on the condition of the individual unit though.

elecplus

27 Jul 2017, 17:39

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDX215-IBM-RT32 ... 0819657273
This one? They look a bit worn out!

Clavius
IBM aficionado

28 Jul 2017, 20:11

Ruben if you're living in The Netherlands:https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers- ... e=lr&pos=9

rubenvann

28 Jul 2017, 21:37

Clavius wrote: Ruben if you're living in The Netherlands:https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers- ... e=lr&pos=9
Wah, nice! Seems like I am a bit too late though, someone already offered the price they were asking. Well, I will try again anyway (actually I gave up on finding one in the Netherlands, and I already ordered one from the US for a lot more :oops: but maybe I can use this one for spare parts - especially the trackpoint might be nice).

Thank you very much!
elecplus wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDX215-IBM-RT32 ... 0819657273
This one? They look a bit worn out!
I bought another one in the end (the page is no longer up), which was slightly cheaper and looked good.
Reflotron wrote: Is it actually worth getting one of those? I received a used SpaceSaver II shipped from abroad a year ago, went through the hassle with customs etc. - but given its age and build quality it wasn't actually very usable. After some light use parts came off. The trackpoint wasn't very nice for modern resolutions either. Probably depends on the condition of the individual unit though.
I am still a bit afraid of this, and I really hope I like it as much as I though I would. If it's not usable I might see if I can use the parts.

rubenvann

04 Aug 2017, 14:52

It just got in today. It is quite okay, much to my relief. One feet is missing, which pisses me off a little, not because I needed it but because I paid so much for a product with a defect. Package it came in was way too big so I had to pay more than I expected for shipping.

The keyboard itself is quite heavy and solid, which is nice. The trackpoint is better than I expected. While it does seem a little coarse when moving the cursor at a higher speed (it seems like the cursor skips blocks of pixels instead of single pixels, hard to explain without seeing it), the behavior is much better than the Lenovo Compact USB keyboard I also have (that one has quite asymmetric movement, e.g. moving to the left goes faster than moving to the right, and the speed is also quite hard to control). There is some dirt on it that has been absorbed into the rough material, so I can't really clean it. The behavior of the mouse is also better than on my thinkpad compact keyboard. The layout is standard and I like it - except for weirdness that's going on with the num lock and scroll lock.

Overall, I'm happy with it - although I wish I'd found a cheaper one, like the one Clavius found (sadly I was slightly too late to make an offer on that one).

Phenix
-p

04 Aug 2017, 17:08

whats about the TEX YODA?

rubenvann

04 Aug 2017, 17:55

Phenix wrote: whats about the TEX YODA?
Are you suggesting I buy one or do you want to know how the space saver II compares to the tex yoda?

I didn't buy one because it's too expensive, and didn't fit my needs. I want a tenkeyless keyboard, but I do want arrows and F1-12.

How it compares, I don't know, I have never used one, but I would expect the tex's trackpoint to be smoother (because it is a newer model and almost certainly has a newer trackpoint module).
Last edited by rubenvann on 05 Aug 2017, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Phenix
-p

04 Aug 2017, 18:34

rubenvann wrote:
Are you suggesting I buy one or do you want to know how the space saver II compares to the tex yoda?

I didn't buy one because it's too expensive, and didn't fit my needs. I want a tenkeyless keyboard, but I do want arrows and F1-12.

How it compares, I don't know, I have never used one, but I would expect the tex's trackpoint to be smoother (because it is a newer module and almost certainly has a newer trackpoint module).
Was more a Suggestion, as it's one of the few modern board that features a trackpoint,
Do you use your trackpoint exclusively?
And which is the easiest way to try a trackpoint out (IIRC buying a thinkpad board (which Model was it again?) is the way to go,or?

I am still curious about the trackpoint, as It could be convenient to use. Can you compare a trackpoint to a trackball or a rollermouse?

rubenvann

05 Aug 2017, 11:23

Phenix wrote:
rubenvann wrote:

How it compares, I don't know, I have never used one, but I would expect the tex's trackpoint to be smoother (because it is a newer module and almost certainly has a newer trackpoint module).
Was more a Suggestion, as it's one of the few modern board that features a trackpoint,
And which is the easiest way to try a trackpoint out (IIRC buying a thinkpad board (which Model was it again?) is the way to go,or?

I am still curious about the trackpoint, as It could be convenient to use. Can you compare a trackpoint to a trackball or a rollermouse?
Heh. It's a bit hard to explain, since it's all about feel, but I'll try to describe my experience. I haven't used a roller mouse or trackball (at least, in the last 8 years - based on my single experience with a trackball I would expect a trackpoint to work better). Of course, the experience depends on the brand, model, and probably even on the age of the keyboard and how much it has been used. For example, I have two Lenovo Thinkpad laptops with a similar keyboard that looks like this one:
https://images.techhive.com/images/arti ... -large.jpg

The standalone keyboard is one of this type:
http://blog.lenovo.com/images/uploads/b ... int_02.jpg
(except I have the USB version, which isn't wireless)

Now, I like the keys of the old version better, and I think most people would agree with me (although the keys on the new version aren't bad at all - they are just slightly worse than the keys on the old one, that's all).

I also like the trackpoint a lot better on the laptops. The trackpoint on the standalone keyboard moves a lot faster to the left top than to the right bottom, and it's hard to control the speed: If you push very lightly the speed of the pointer is almost the same as when you push quite hard, but when you push a little bit harder than quite hard it suddenly moves very fast. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if there actually is a difference in the trackpoint module. Also, it might get better (or worse) over time. I just bought the keyboard, so I can't really tell.

I own the Thinkpad for a bit longer, so I'll use this as a reference for the rest of my post. The Thinkpad is quite old, and the harddisk is not very big, so I often have to switch to a more high-powered laptop to work on - so I don't use the trackpoint very consistently. I hope to use the trackpoint more consistently now that I have the Space Saver.

One thing I have noticed is that the trackpoint requires some getting used to (couple of days maybe). Once you have your hands in the right position, a regular mouse is faster and more accurate. The advantage of the trackpoint is that your hands barely move to get into the right position, which is great if you need the mouse often between typing, but only for short movements. For example, I use the trackpoint when I write (either code or a normal document) or do something in the terminal. When you need to make a lot of mouse movements (e.g. you're playing a game, or you're exploring a directory in a GUI), a regular mouse works better.

Now, you can still do this stuff with a trackpoint, but it's probably a little slower. When you want to try a trackpoint I suggest you look for a thinkpad keyboard (most people agree that thinkpad has the best trackpoints). I would recommend the old version which looks like this. With a little luck you can find one that is not too expensive (mine was about 25 euro - but it's the newer model, and I don't know how the prices compare). If you're looking for a mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint you're gonna have to look at some more exotic models and spend some more - but I wouldn't recommend that unless you already know you want a trackpoint.

Phenix
-p

05 Aug 2017, 14:05

rubenvann wrote:
Phenix wrote:
rubenvann wrote: Are you suggesting I buy one or do you want to know how the space saver II compares to the tex yoda?

Heh. It's a bit hard to explain, since it's all about feel, but I'll try to describe my experience. I haven't used a roller mouse or trackball (at least, in the last 8 years - based on my single experience with a trackball I would expect a trackpoint to work better). Of course, the experience depends on the brand, model, and probably even on the age of the keyboard and how much it has been used. For example, I have two Lenovo Thinkpad laptops with a similar keyboard that looks like this one:
https://images.techhive.com/images/arti ... -large.jpg

The standalone keyboard is one of this type:
http://blog.lenovo.com/images/uploads/b ... int_02.jpg
(except I have the USB version, which isn't wireless)

Now, I like the keys of the old version better, and I think most people would agree with me (although the keys on the new version aren't bad at all - they are just slightly worse than the keys on the old one, that's all).

I also like the trackpoint a lot better on the laptops. The trackpoint on the standalone keyboard moves a lot faster to the left top than to the right bottom, and it's hard to control the speed: If you push very lightly the speed of the pointer is almost the same as when you push quite hard, but when you push a little bit harder than quite hard it suddenly moves very fast. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if there actually is a difference in the trackpoint module. Also, it might get better (or worse) over time. I just bought the keyboard, so I can't really tell.

I own the Thinkpad for a bit longer, so I'll use this as a reference for the rest of my post. The Thinkpad is quite old, and the harddisk is not very big, so I often have to switch to a more high-powered laptop to work on - so I don't use the trackpoint very consistently. I hope to use the trackpoint more consistently now that I have the Space Saver.

One thing I have noticed is that the trackpoint requires some getting used to (couple of days maybe). Once you have your hands in the right position, a regular mouse is faster and more accurate. The advantage of the trackpoint is that your hands barely move to get into the right position, which is great if you need the mouse often between typing, but only for short movements. For example, I use the trackpoint when I write (either code or a normal document) or do something in the terminal. When you need to make a lot of mouse movements (e.g. you're playing a game, or you're exploring a directory in a GUI), a regular mouse works better.

Now, you can still do this stuff with a trackpoint, but it's probably a little slower. When you want to try a trackpoint I suggest you look for a thinkpad keyboard (most people agree that thinkpad has the best trackpoints). I would recommend the old version which looks like this. With a little luck you can find one that is not too expensive (mine was about 25 euro - but it's the newer model, and I don't know how the prices compare). If you're looking for a mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint you're gonna have to look at some more exotic models and spend some more - but I wouldn't recommend that unless you already know you want a trackpoint.
Thanks for this informative post! I will keep a eye out for one,
My plan was , providing it works out, to install one in my Kinesis advantage.
Once

I will try to report back once I got one..

rubenvann

05 Aug 2017, 15:51

Ah, sounds like an interesting project. Sounds hard though, but apparently at least one person pulled it off. I've been thinking about making a DIY keyboard with a trackpoint, but I'm afraid I'll ruin everything :P

Darkshado

06 Aug 2017, 08:10

rubenvann wrote: The trackpoint on the standalone keyboard moves a lot faster to the left top than to the right bottom, and it's hard to control the speed: If you push very lightly the speed of the pointer is almost the same as when you push quite hard, but when you push a little bit harder than quite hard it suddenly moves very fast. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if there actually is a difference in the trackpoint module. Also, it might get better (or worse) over time. I just bought the keyboard, so I can't really tell.
A trackpoint is supposed to respond in a uniform manner in any direction. I had a "ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint" (i.e. the current model) with a similar defect, it also kept on drifting horizontally at times. RMA'ed and its replacement has been fine.

IMHO you have a defective module.

Return to “Keyboards”