How much free space is there inside a Model M122 "battleship"?

depletedvespene

27 Jul 2017, 03:46

(I'm new here, so please forgive me if this has been discussed to death before)

How much free space is there inside a Model M122 "battleship"? Could a Raspberry Pi (plus a Soarer's converter, if needed) be fitted inside of it, so the battleship could be the PC, much in the same way the old home computers (Atari 800XL, C-64, etc.) were "mostly keyboard"?

I do wonder if such a mod could be feasible...

taylorswiftttttt

27 Jul 2017, 03:47

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

27 Jul 2017, 03:48

Oh, sure, that would be no problem at all. There's a ton of room in there.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Jul 2017, 05:59

Welcome! If you wanted to make the thing wireless, you could fit like twelve 18650 cells in there. I made this number up, but, there is a whole bunch of space in there.

Hell, I managed to fit a Soarer's Converter in an IBM M15, and those things have *no* space inside.

czarek

30 Jul 2017, 15:46

Plenty. The controller is about the same size as the regular or Space Saver Model M so there is plenty of room inside.

As a matter of fact I'm sometimes thinking if they did it on purpose in the past with leaving such empty hollow spaces inside keyboards to make them sound better or something. Take M0110 or even stuff like Commodore Vic20 or C64 which had plenty of room inside.

just_add_coffee

30 Jul 2017, 16:51

I've had similar thoughts regarding old IBM boards. What could you do with such a keyboard? Suppose you included an LCD screen, what are the possibilities?

depletedvespene

30 Jul 2017, 17:44

just_add_coffee wrote: I've had similar thoughts regarding old IBM boards. What could you do with such a keyboard? Suppose you included an LCD screen, what are the possibilities?
Now, THAT is a thought. An LCD screen with a 25x80 text mode, and make those work as "independent" terminals to connect to a Unix server through SSH. :-)

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Jul 2017, 19:46

The 2nd generation M-122 case has a pretty decent sized area at the upper right.

Return to “Keyboards”