I've been looking (for a long time) for a keyboard setup that does what I am looking for. Citrojohn on Reddit was nice enough to point me at Tipro and that led me here.
I managed to snag a Tipro Free 128-key UK alphanumeric (KMCV C15). Price wasn't amazing but was still significantly cheaper than most of the options I had been looking at. Once I have confirmation mine has shipped I'll link it ;) since they have a couple more in stock. I won't have it for a couple of weeks due to international shipping so I'm looking at picking up some of my customization stuff while waiting.
- Not a big deal, but just to set my mind at ease about either programming the board in Linux or a day when Changeme isn't updated any longer ... has anyone had luck programming the board while running Changeme under a virtual machine? If not, I'll dedicate an ancient-but-working laptop to be my backup programmer.
- This is a USB/PS2 unit (I'll be using USB). When looking for extra modules (programmable numpad is my most likely choice) do I need to make sure the additional module uses USB for external connection? I am not sure about the module extension bus connection so I don't know if older used PS2 modules can connect to the USB keyboard in USB mode.
- Similar to above, are there and physical side profile issues to be aware of with additional modules? (as in, is the height at the front/back and pitch the same on all modules from a case mounting perspective)
- If I can find one, is the Chameleon module compatible with the keyboard module I'm getting? I'm not sold on it over the standard numpad, but I can see some interesting possibilities.
- Which vertical 2x1 caps work on the rows of programmable keys above the alpha keys?
Example: will either of these work with the pitch of the programmable keys:
... or do I need to buy 2x1 caps specifically made for Tipro (found them but rather expensive for unpainted plain keys)
- Are there any retail sources of keycaps for the programmable keys in 2x2 configuration?
- It LOOKS like the unit I'm buying has black blank 1x1s on the programmable area. Is there a retail resource for finding the clear topped caps that allow for inserting labels?
- This will be my first time using Cherry MX Blacks, but, I've used Reds before and my fingers are heavy enough (and I'm not doing tons of text typing) that I'm not concerned about the added activation force. I am curious about adding spacer o-rings for at least the alpha keys (both to minimize travel and to muffle the keys a bit since I am often typing while wife is in the next room over). Any experiences with o-rings on the Tipros?
- The front height of the Tipro looks to be pretty low. I'll likely end up rigging a pad to raise it slightly and would like to have a 2" or so wrist wrest. If there are any that work well on the Tipro aside from the generic wrests (I prefer hard rests to squishy ones, by far), that pointer would be welcome.
PS. I'm not buying all the customization items before I get the board in. I realize I might just hate typing on it as the spacing on alpha rows is not quite standard. Trying to get the ducks in a row now so if it fits me well I can get the customization stuff done ASAP.