Best MX keyboard to replace the controller for a unix keyboard?

DerpyDash_xAD

07 Aug 2017, 20:32

The title summarizes it pretty nicely - I've been running a HHKB and I adore the layout but I'm not a topre lover - I'd prefer a MX board. What keyboards are easy to replace the controller on, plain looking with PBT caps? I'm agnostic on formfactor and which MX switch is utilized.

pingmaster

07 Aug 2017, 20:39

Diy it?

DerpyDash_xAD

07 Aug 2017, 21:00

pingmaster wrote: Diy it?
From PCB up? That's one of my plans, but I'm not exactly a craftsman - anything I produce would be of low quality at best. I'd rather something nice with a teensy stuck in the case somewhere or some such thing.

pingmaster

07 Aug 2017, 21:17

No, buy some switches, a premade 60% pcb and case and some MX keycaps. Solder it together and boom you are done.

Findecanor

07 Aug 2017, 21:44

Most DIY PCBs in 60% form factor support the HHKB layout.
You might have to go a little wider on the space bar and use 1.25u modifiers but that's it. (The HHKB has a 6u space and most key sets are 6.25u)

DerpyDash_xAD

08 Aug 2017, 00:00

thanks for the advice guys ill look into the diy pcbs and such more. last I looked they were fairly expensive to the point of premades with a teensy being chepaer.

DerpyDash_xAD

08 Aug 2017, 00:25

My research informs me the phantom tkl is a good choice, affordable and nice. I generally don't go for such large keyboards but I think it will be nice. I'm having trouble finding any cases though, do you know anywhere to buy cheap cases or should I buy some wood and screws? Also, is the teensy 3.2 compatible?

DerpyDash_xAD

08 Aug 2017, 08:43

Few more questions - could a wood mounting plate work, or no plate at all? AFAIK both of those should be fine right?

Halvar

08 Aug 2017, 10:59

Yes, you can use PCB mounted switches like Cherry does in their classic G80 keyboards, then you don't need a plate.

Your PCB needs to support this kind of switches, they need additional holes in the PCB.

wiki/Switch_mount

pixelheresy

08 Aug 2017, 12:21

If you are looking for a good office premade my recommendation would be a CODE with clears or a Das Keyboard with Blues or Blacks. Blue/Green CODES are obnoxiously loud and Browns feel like shit. A Das with the solid case and PCB mount sounds nice and especially non-annoying to office mates with O-rings. Was my daily driver for years.

If you can go DYI, that's kind of fun. Also USB modding an older Model M is great (particularly since with Soarer's or TMK you can program the shit out of them) or get a new Unicomp, but those of course aren't MX. Fun for coding though.

Return to “Keyboards”