Disassembling a ZKB-2R

JollySkeletor

13 Aug 2017, 17:25

Need to replace a switch in my ZKB-2R, removing the screws in the back plate isn't quite enough - from one of chyros' videos it does indeed look like the back plate is being held on by the flip out feet. Does anyone know the proper way to remove these without damaging them? I can't see any obvious way. Thanks

Chyros

13 Aug 2017, 19:33

JollySkeletor wrote: Need to replace a switch in my ZKB-2R, removing the screws in the back plate isn't quite enough - from one of chyros' videos it does indeed look like the back plate is being held on by the flip out feet. Does anyone know the proper way to remove these without damaging them? I can't see any obvious way. Thanks
You can clip the feet out IIRC. Then the plate will come loose.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

13 Aug 2017, 20:22

This gave me a lot of trouble as well when I click-modded my SKB-2. Chryos is right though, you can basically pull back on the feet and they'll pop out, which will free up the plate!

edit: actually, it's probably better to pinch the sides of each foot together. It's like a mini ball-and-socket connection thing, if I remember correctly.

JollySkeletor

13 Aug 2017, 20:30

That worked nicely, thanks - broken too many delicate plastic things to risk not asking :)

JollySkeletor

13 Aug 2017, 22:38

And switch replaced, typing on it now in fact. It's a testament to how much the top housing alters the smoothness of the switch. I had to swap out the space bar, discarded the old shell, but kept the internals (sans switch plate). The top housing of this new switch makes the space bar so much more scratchy, might have to go replace it with the old one when I get a chance. Thanks again folks!

Chyros

13 Aug 2017, 23:40

JollySkeletor wrote: And switch replaced, typing on it now in fact. It's a testament to how much the top housing alters the smoothness of the switch. I had to swap out the space bar, discarded the old shell, but kept the internals (sans switch plate). The top housing of this new switch makes the space bar so much more scratchy, might have to go replace it with the old one when I get a chance. Thanks again folks!
Yes, the top housing has been regularly reported to be the biggest culprit when it comes to scratchy switches. I've had to repair my ZBK-2R once or twice as well (switches not registering properly - switchplate transplant). It's still one of my favourite keyboards, it's my designated office keyboard.

Still on the lookout for a NOS one :D .

JollySkeletor

14 Aug 2017, 01:42

Chyros wrote:
JollySkeletor wrote: And switch replaced, typing on it now in fact. It's a testament to how much the top housing alters the smoothness of the switch. I had to swap out the space bar, discarded the old shell, but kept the internals (sans switch plate). The top housing of this new switch makes the space bar so much more scratchy, might have to go replace it with the old one when I get a chance. Thanks again folks!
Yes, the top housing has been regularly reported to be the biggest culprit when it comes to scratchy switches. I've had to repair my ZBK-2R once or twice as well (switches not registering properly - switchplate transplant). It's still one of my favourite keyboards, it's my designated office keyboard.

Still on the lookout for a NOS one :D .
One that comes with attached nitros oxide tank? For boring office days and getting away in a hurry I imagine

Return to “Keyboards”