Tactile complicated alps switches that have become clicky

JollySkeletor

16 Aug 2017, 11:01

Anyone know of a good way of bending tactile leaves back to their original shape? I've noticed some keys on my tactile alps boards have become clicky on the upstroke (and sometimes on the downstroke). From a bit of testing this is due to subtle kinks in the leaf itself (i'm guessing from use). Thanks.

pingmaster

16 Aug 2017, 13:10

I got the reverse effect on my Alps Gray board. My clicky turned tactile. I just used my fingers to get apporiximate shape right. A little subtle difference you cant tell.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

16 Aug 2017, 16:13

I always considered this a 'disease' for tactile switches with no known cure - much like many autoimmune diseases these days. It makes sense, though, that it would be because of a misshapen leaf - maybe also from fatigue of the tabs on the tactile leaf as well? Just a guess - I really have no idea =( I'm also interested in what other people have to say!

Try replacing the leaf. Does that fix the issue?

JollySkeletor

16 Aug 2017, 17:11

//gainsborough wrote: I always considered this a 'disease' for tactile switches with no known cure - much like many autoimmune diseases these days. It makes sense, though, that it would be because of a misshapen leaf - maybe also from fatigue of the tabs on the tactile leaf as well? Just a guess - I really have no idea =( I'm also interested in what other people have to say!

Try replacing the leaf. Does that fix the issue?

Yeah it's definitely the leaf, swapped it with one from a switch I knew was fine - immediately fixed the issue. Just need to figure out which part is subtly different, because to be honest it's difficult to tell the difference between the two leaves.

pingmaster

16 Aug 2017, 18:38

Can you take some pics?

JollySkeletor

20 Aug 2017, 18:35

Sorry for the slow reply, been a little busy. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Z-4 ... VZPdlQ4MWc contains the best I could get, difficult to capture all of the necessary angles. If anyone can figure out what's wrong with it from those images deserves a cookie.

Darkshado

20 Aug 2017, 19:34

You might be able to resolve this by using small pliers/tweezers to straighten the tabs.

Another step is the so-called "paper mod" which can be done by inserting a small piece of paper or tape between the outer side of the leaf and the switch housing.

JollySkeletor

20 Aug 2017, 21:05

Darkshado wrote: You might be able to resolve this by using small pliers/tweezers to straighten the tabs.

Another step is the so-called "paper mod" which can be done by inserting a small piece of paper or tape between the outer side of the leaf and the switch housing.
Aha, using a fine pair of tweezers, aligning them parallel to the base of the tab and squeezing the tab straight seems to have done the trick. No more click on the down or upstroke.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

20 Aug 2017, 21:19

JollySkeletor wrote:
Darkshado wrote: You might be able to resolve this by using small pliers/tweezers to straighten the tabs.

Aha, using a fine pair of tweezers, aligning them parallel to the base of the tab and squeezing the tab straight seems to have done the trick. No more click on the down or upstroke.

Good stuff! Nice work, man!

Return to “Keyboards”