Micro Switch switch used in Apollo DSKY

cjkeithley

24 Aug 2017, 00:50

Although not the earliest 'computer' keyboard by a long shot, the Apollo DSKY might well be the first time that a Micro Switch switch was used in a computer keyboard. Pictures after my name.

For those who aren't already familiar with the DSKY, DSKY is the "Display and Keyboard" that the astronauts used to interact with the Apollo Guidance Computer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Gu ... _interface

The Micro Switch part number for this switch is X32309, but I've yet to find any Micro Switch documentation online that describes it. It's technically a sub-miniture limit switch that was cleverly repurposed as a keyboard switch. I'm looking for any technical details I can find about the X32309, so please contact me if you have an ancient (50+ years!) Micro Switch component guide that covers it.

How do I know the switch was made by Micro Switch? 1. The NASA part number stenciled on the side of the switch is 10101901, and NASA's documentation shows that the vendor for DSKY part number 10101901 is Micro Switch. 2. An obscure website that caters to airplane mechanics turned up someone selling 4 X32309's for $25 each, and indicated that Micro Switch (MS) was the switch vendor.

The fact that the Apollo DSKY used a Micro Switch switch is such an obscure bit of history & trivia that Micro Switch themselves might have forgotten about it, given that their 75th Anniversary press release (10 years ago) didn't include this detail when talking about famous uses of Micro Switch switches.

As I mentioned, I'm interested in looking at any technical documentation about the Micro Switch X32309 switch. Please let me know if you have something you're able to share.

Thanks,

Craig

colerise

16 Feb 2020, 20:54

Thanks for the info Craig - two of these switches were also used on the Hasselblad lunar surface & command module cameras. A modern equivalent is made by Honeywell, with part number MS27216-1. They're similar in size and were vetted by NASA in the 70's as approved for space flight.

What aviation website did you find these for sale on?

- Cole Rise

polemon

05 Jun 2021, 17:23

Not sure if they still make them, but you can still get the product catalog on Honeywell's website: https://sensing.honeywell.com/honeywell ... 3-2-en.pdf

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

05 Jun 2021, 17:30

polemon wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 17:23
Not sure if they still make them
Your catalog is from 2016, so it is likely that these switches are still available, if you wrote to info.sc@honeywell.com to request pricing.

polemon

06 Jun 2021, 00:00

Wintermute1974 wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 17:30
Your catalog is from 2016, so it is likely that these switches are still available, if you wrote to info.sc@honeywell.com to request pricing.
Well, If you look for the product numbers/codes on places like Mouser or Digikey, you won't find most of them. But you can find some that aren't in that catalog, like 1HM1. The prices are bout what I remember from way back when: ~320 USD per switch.

Return to “Keyboards”