New office KB

ShivaYash

11 Sep 2017, 13:59

Hello chaps,
Greetings from my new abode, Halle (Saale)

The helpful IT department here want to buy me a new mechanical KB. SO... what should I get? I can't think of anything I really want, that I do not already own.

I have already told them I have my own RF 87u waiting but they think its best they purchase one.
I use the IBM SSK on my home iMac, and a PFU HHKBPro2BT as my travel board.

I have a FILCO with Cherry MX Browns (my wife's old board) but I think I may sell this now...

My ideal would be something TKL, with heavy keys.

Yours,
SY

PS. What a nice problem to have on a Monday afternoon.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

11 Sep 2017, 15:12

I want to have an IT department like yours, damn.

You did not give any price boundary, so I recommend you to get a Model F.

pixelheresy

11 Sep 2017, 15:40

If they are going for it, get a new production Kishsaver F... yeah.

JP!

11 Sep 2017, 16:08

pixelheresy wrote: If they are going for it, get a new production Kishsaver F... yeah.
I second this as well, but you would have to wait several months. If the F spring are too light for you I suppose you could use springs from a Model M.

ShivaYash

11 Sep 2017, 16:11

Link?

pixelheresy

11 Sep 2017, 16:43

11 Sep 2017, 16:44

I would love for the IT directors in my area to decide that all of their folks needed MKs. I can see a mass order from Unicomp for USB Model M 103s. Would be glorious.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

11 Sep 2017, 16:50

pixelheresy wrote: If they are going for it, get a new production Kishsaver F... yeah.
That's what I was referring to, I omitted to specify exactly what I was talking about (todo: cut the gin). Thanks for the exact pointer. (Y)

depletedvespene

11 Sep 2017, 16:54

0100010 wrote: I would love for the IT directors in my area to decide that all of their folks needed MKs. I can see a mass order from Unicomp for USB Model M 103s. Would be glorious.
Meanwhile, around here, we are all expected to bring our own mouse and keyboard. "Hey, your laptop has an integrated keeb and a touch pad!". And whatever keyboards we may bring MUST be silent (this is an "open office plan", after all).

JP!

11 Sep 2017, 17:00

depletedvespene wrote:
0100010 wrote: I would love for the IT directors in my area to decide that all of their folks needed MKs. I can see a mass order from Unicomp for USB Model M 103s. Would be glorious.
Meanwhile, around here, we are all expected to bring our own mouse and keyboard. "Hey, your laptop has an integrated keeb and a touch pad!". And whatever keyboards we may bring MUST be silent (this is an "open office plan", after all).
If my office imposes that restriction I swear I will bring in a beamspring that dings a bell every time I type :evilgeek:
bell.JPG
bell.JPG (213.6 KiB) Viewed 5884 times

depletedvespene

11 Sep 2017, 17:05

You're tempting me to get a Matias Silent and adding (subreptitiously) a solenoid to it. Then activating it... every now and then... randomly, to make everyone go nuts.

I'd get fired, surely, and would not be able to complain about it. :mrgreen:

pixelheresy

11 Sep 2017, 17:18

depletedvespene wrote: Meanwhile, around here, we are all expected to bring our own mouse and keyboard. "Hey, your laptop has an integrated keeb and a touch pad!". And whatever keyboards we may bring MUST be silent (this is an "open office plan", after all).
I work in an open plan, but slightly differently. They have some very standard but ok Logitech wired mice available and droves of flat aluminium Apple keyboards for anyone, but if people want to bring their own, they are free to, so long as the team is cool with it.

Most dev teams have headphones on most of the day, so generally speaking, it isn't a big deal. One team is kind of getting into mech boards (I think I may have contributed to that) and they basically are all sporting Blue switches.

zslane

11 Sep 2017, 18:52

1. IMO, a Model F remake isn't worth getting excited over unless it is using the earlier capacitive buckling spring mechanism. Otherwise it's just a crappy Model M with a different layout.

2. If your coworkers don't have any problem with the noise a buckling spring keyboard makes, then you should feel free to use one at work regardless of the official company policy.

3. OTOH, if your coworkers are bothered by the noise a buckling spring keyboard makes, then you should keep it at home even if the official company policy does not prohibit noisy keyboards.

4. Just have your IT department buy you a RealForce 87U and be done with it.

pixelheresy

11 Sep 2017, 19:52

zslane wrote: 1. IMO, a Model F remake isn't worth getting excited over unless it is using the earlier capacitive buckling spring mechanism. Otherwise it's just a crappy Model M with a different layout.
It is... that's what is exciting. It is basically a true-blue F, in terms of how the barrels/flippers work with a capacitive PCB (and even uses xwhatsit's board as the controller, so it is fully programmable and can be calibrated). Certain clips are metal rather than plastic, etc. Basically they took on the task of making a new production F that would fit the bill for people who would like/buy a Model F and cherish it. I think this is a good strategy, since if you are going to make a 300-400$ keyboard, you want it to last forever and have all the features vintage keyboard hobbyists would want.
zslane wrote: 4. Just have your IT department buy you a RealForce 87U and be done with it.
*IF* you like Topre. 8-)

zslane

11 Sep 2017, 20:15

Well, the OP has a Topre at home, so presumably he likes them.

zslane

11 Sep 2017, 21:14

pixelheresy wrote: It is... that's what is exciting. It is basically a true-blue F, in terms of how the barrels/flippers work with a capacitive PCB (and even uses xwhatsit's board as the controller, so it is fully programmable and can be calibrated).
Not as exciting as resurrecting beam spring switches, but okay, at least these buckling spring switches aren't the abominably cheap Model M variety. Pity these are only available in a "saver" model, and not an F122...

11 Sep 2017, 21:25

Check if Orihalcyon (sp?) still has any original 4704 F107s available.

JP!

11 Sep 2017, 21:39

0100010 wrote: Check if Orihalcyon (sp?) still has any original 4704 F107s available.
Here is one for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-IBM-Mod ... SwrzdZnuNU

pixelheresy

11 Sep 2017, 23:48

Beamsprings are definitely cool, but I couldn't imagine typing on that tall of a keyboard all day ;) I personally love buckling springs (and heavier switches), so the new Kishsaver is on the "justify buying this to my wife" list.

The Topre crack was just that... a joke. Not my cup of tea, but they are very smooth and nice. I would take it in a heartbeat over basically any other rubber dome and mechanical switches I dislike, like Cherry MX Red or Brown, Cherry ML, etc.

zslane

12 Sep 2017, 01:27

pixelheresy wrote: Beamsprings are definitely cool, but I couldn't imagine typing on that tall of a keyboard all day ;)
You make a good point.

If someone ever does revive beam spring switches (it could happen...who would ever have thought Hall Effect switches would go back into production in this day and age?), we'll just need to invest in fat wrist rests and desktops with recessed wells for the keyboard. :mrgreen:

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Sep 2017, 01:40

Since you apparently like Topre, and said "My ideal would be something TKL, with heavy keys," I suggest a RF TKL 55g edition.

ShivaYash

12 Sep 2017, 06:11

Thanks chaps. Anyone know of a Realforce dealer shipping to Germany?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teck22

12 Sep 2017, 14:39

http://www.keyboardco.com/ is shipping to Germany.

ShivaYash

13 Sep 2017, 07:30

teck22 wrote:http://www.keyboardco.com/ is shipping to Germany.
Thx

pixelheresy

13 Sep 2017, 08:16

Techno Trousers wrote: Since you apparently like Topre, and said "My ideal would be something TKL, with heavy keys," I suggest a RF TKL 55g edition.
Holy shit! 55g is heavy? :lol: I guess you have to go as heavy as you can...

ShivaYash

13 Sep 2017, 09:14

55g is nice. I don’t think Topre key switches come in a heavier weight.

pixelheresy

22 Sep 2017, 12:34

So what was the verdict? Did you order something?

ShivaYash

26 Sep 2017, 22:24

Topre 55g uniform. TKL.

ShivaYash

27 Sep 2017, 08:29

Sorry, I made a typo. I opted for the Topre YK2100. It’s a 45g switch but the hipro caps are lovely. Something I’ve wanted for a long time. The full size is annoying as I’m a TKL man but oh well.

zslane

27 Sep 2017, 19:24

How does the Y2K100 differ from an ordinary 104UG Hi-Pro?

Return to “Keyboards”