Inverted Soarer's converter

Clavius
IBM aficionado

28 Sep 2017, 12:08

I spend a lot of time writing and one of the things I noticed is that I have the tendency to habitually open the browser every few minutes to check news/forums/email/cat videos. Obviously this breaks my concentration. I've tried a few things like hiding the browser icon and switching off my network connection, but my inner monkey keeps finding ways around it. So, I've decided to go full George RR Martin and start doing long writing on a dedicated computer. One that is basically only capable of doing just that. Because I love IBM, I`ve picked up a PS/2 model 30. This is an 8088, but with a normal sub-d monitor connection, 3.5" disk drive and a 20Mb hard drive. This way I can hook it up to my regular screen and exchange data relatively easy.

There's one problem though; the keyboard connector on this thing is PS/2, and I'm using a model F. Simply putting a passive converter unfortunately doesn't work as these board speak a different protocol. I'm already using a Soarer's converter to translate the model F protocol to USB, so I'm wondering if it isn't possible to make something which goes the other way around: from USB to PS/2.
I've been googling and found one example from a German company: http://www.ihse.de/produkte/konverter-z ... u-usb.html
436-up.png
436-up.png (169.67 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
This thing goes for around $160 though, which I find ridiculous. I'm sure this could be done with an Teensy (or other Arduino for that matter), I found a library that makes the Teensy act as an PS/2 device and similarly people using a USB host shield to hook up an USB keyboard. In other words, the parts are around it just needs to be put together.
I'm not much of a programmer though, so I wanted to check with you: Are you aware of anybody having done this?

JP!

28 Sep 2017, 13:39

Dang, at that price you would be better off just finding a Model F AT and using a passive adapter.

HuBandiT

28 Sep 2017, 20:21

Pick up a Win98 era ThinkPad with USB but without WiFi for about €30?

Clavius
IBM aficionado

28 Sep 2017, 21:00

JP! wrote: Dang, at that price you would be better off just finding a Model F AT and using a passive adapter.
You think that's compatible with a simple converter? Interesting suggestion, although kind of a last resort :lol:
HuBandiT wrote: Pick up a Win98 era ThinkPad with USB but without WiFi for about €30?
Ok, I forgot to say that I absolutely love my clunky 8088 and that getting stuff to work on that is the challenge ;)

2ter

28 Sep 2017, 21:23

this could be what you are looking for:
keyboards-f2/xt-to-ps-2-converter-for-m ... 11474.html

Clavius
IBM aficionado

28 Sep 2017, 22:52

2ter wrote: this could be what you are looking for:
Whoa :o

Polecat

29 Sep 2017, 04:40

2ter wrote: this could be what you are looking for:
Doesn't that go the other way? XT keyboard on a USB port? Sounds to me like Clavius is trying to run what's effectively a USB keyboard (model F XT board with a converter) on a PS/2 port.

Clavius
IBM aficionado

30 Sep 2017, 10:13

Polecat wrote: Doesn't that go the other way? XT keyboard on a USB port? Sounds to me like Clavius is trying to run what's effectively a USB keyboard (model F XT board with a converter) on a PS/2 port.
The mentioned converter solves my immediate problem, namely XT->PS/2. It would be nice to have USB->PS/2 though, so I could also use Ellipses' new model F later. I might dive into it later this year and build something.

Return to “Keyboards”