full NKRO

ajx

02 Jan 2012, 14:24

i ve seen Qpad releasing a mechanical keyboard with full nkro in usb, actually you can press 20 keys at same time
does it be helpful in game?
about my case, i only play fps
i ve heard full nkro is only helpful for rts or mmorpg

Tarkoon

02 Jan 2012, 14:34

Answer yourself two questions:
How many fingers do you have?
How many keys can you press with them at the same time?

10 fingers , one nose, one tongue
Max is twelve, as long as so you keep your shoes on :mrgreen:

iBro

02 Jan 2012, 18:53

And I believe that the last keyboard that released NKRO over USB had issues being compatible with Macs because of it. I honestly don't see the point in needing more than 6KRO.

ajx

02 Jan 2012, 21:34

mk qpad exites a bit my curiosity.
they released two mechnical keyboard including blacklit
one of them is full NKRO over usb and about 30 euros more expensive
i just would know if NKRO may be useful or not

trax

02 Jan 2012, 22:20

I think its 18KRO.

Kurk

03 Jan 2012, 12:00

I wouldn't trust a keyboard that claims NKRO over USB. It may work on one system but may cause troubles on others, see iBro's post.
Besides that, more than 6KRO is overkill imho. Look at FPS games: a combination of walking diagonally+running+crouching+jumping+action= 6 keys.
If you reallyreallyreally want to have NKRO then go for a motherboard with a proper PS/2 connector.

trax

03 Jan 2012, 16:46

Kurrk wrote:I wouldn't trust a keyboard that claims NKRO over USB. It may work on one system but may cause troubles on others, see iBro's post.
Besides that, more than 6KRO is overkill imho. Look at FPS games: a combination of walking diagonally+running+crouching+jumping+action= 6 keys.
If you reallyreallyreally want to have NKRO then go for a motherboard with a proper PS/2 connector.
You cant run, crouch and jump and do an action at the same time, 6KRO is enough for most people.
Unless you play those weird Chinese games.

Soarer

03 Jan 2012, 21:10

I wouldn't trust a keyboard that claims NKRO over _Low-Speed_ USB to be fully compatible. I don't know what the qpad uses.

Where does this 18KRO nonsense come from?! Bogus 'info' from a lazy 'expert', no doubt!

For an FPS, or any game where one hand is on your mouse, even 3 or 4 KRO would be fine. (Remember, modifiers don't count towards that).

trax

03 Jan 2012, 21:44

Soarer wrote:I wouldn't trust a keyboard that claims NKRO over _Low-Speed_ USB to be fully compatible. I don't know what the qpad uses.

Where does this 18KRO nonsense come from?! Bogus 'info' from a lazy 'expert', no doubt!

For an FPS, or any game where one hand is on your mouse, even 3 or 4 KRO would be fine. (Remember, modifiers don't count towards that).
Your referring to Ripster rite?
Ive seen the thread, thats why I think its 18KRO.
It could obviously be NKRO, not gonna argue.

Lets just say its more than 2KRO and you wont encounter any problems.

Soarer

03 Jan 2012, 22:08

trax wrote:
Soarer wrote:I wouldn't trust a keyboard that claims NKRO over _Low-Speed_ USB to be fully compatible. I don't know what the qpad uses.

Your referring to Ripster rite?
Ive seen the thread, thats why I think its 18KRO.
It could obviously be NKRO, not gonna argue.

Lets just say its more than 2KRO and you wont encounter any problems.
I apologize - my scathing tone was not directed at you!

Until someone aquires said keyboard and tries it out, we have absolutely no reason to believe it's anything other than what they claim - full NKRO.

hasu

04 Jan 2012, 02:59

What did you mean by "fully compatible"? Some technical limitation on NKRO over Low speed?
Though I have never implemented it on my controller yet, I think NKRO even over Low speed is possible technically.

Soarer

04 Jan 2012, 04:22

hasu wrote:
What did you mean by "fully compatible"? Some technical limitation on NKRO over Low speed?
Though I have never implemented it on my controller yet, I think NKRO even over Low speed is possible technically.
'Fully compatible' meaning it works with all OS and BIOS.

Technically, I think it might be possible over low-speed too, by sending a single large report using multiple packets. But clearly it would take more effort to implement, and I just don't expect the keyboard (controller) makers to put that work in! Far easier to use full speed USB, or to not bother being Mac compatible, or whatever. But I'd be happy for them to prove me wrong :D

hasu

04 Jan 2012, 05:12

Thank you. I got it now.

I agree.
To achieve 'Fully compatible' should indeed impose quite costs and risks on keyboard manufacturers.
Some OS(Mac) might have a lame HID stack, some BIOS might not send set_protocol request to use boot protocol properly, or etc. These are apparently the risks they don't want to take.

BTW, I'm interested in doing NKRO over V-USB(low speed, of course). It has no meaning in actual usage, yet it will be fun :)

Soarer wrote: 'Fully compatible' meaning it works with all OS and BIOS.

Technically, I think it might be possible over low-speed too, by sending a single large report using multiple packets. But clearly it would take more effort to implement, and I just don't expect the keyboard (controller) makers to put that work in! Far easier to use full speed USB, or to not bother being Mac compatible, or whatever. But I'd be happy for them to prove me wrong :D

rich0d

10 Jan 2012, 18:28

Tarkoon wrote:Answer yourself two questions:
How many fingers do you have?
How many keys can you press with them at the same time?

10 fingers , one nose, one tongue
Max is twelve, as long as so you keep your shoes on :mrgreen:
A lot of games require you to faceroll your keyboard in order to win. So NKRO is really important to ensure maximum face to key coverage.

ripster

10 Jan 2012, 18:41

This is OCN Heresy! NKRO FTW!

Pros did it for years without it but I assume they cheated.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Jan 2012, 18:48

I got a sample of the QPAD today. It is indeed full n-key rollover and goes past the 20 key mark even. I have no mac anymore to test it on, but I'll do my best to figure it out.

ripster

10 Jan 2012, 23:35

Steve Jobs would say iPad>qPad.

trax

11 Jan 2012, 07:38

ripster wrote:Steve Jobs would say iPad>qPad.
So should ve get a patent on pad.

ajx

25 Feb 2012, 09:06

i d ask if anyone knows that
full nkro means you can press all keys at same time meanwhile each key is scanned and detected independently
for my case, i barely press over 4/5 at same time mostly
due to the lightness of red switch, i aint sure but it should increase the amount of keys pressed at same time
of course it depends of your rapidity
actually i am wondering if i press quickly wasd while in game, it will be avoid double tap issue (with standard 6 KRO)?

mintberryminuscrunch

25 Feb 2012, 11:20

the problem with xkro is that key x+1 doesn't register, so if you have 2kro and press WAS so quickly, that W and A still register as pressed, S wont do anything

Return to “Keyboards”