Simulated clicks - why not more speakers or solenoids?

Petros

10 Nov 2017, 14:22

Hello all, I'm a long time reader, even posted sometimes but forgot my login so made new account.

My question: Why don't we see more boards on the market that give a simulated click? I mean e.g. a speaker that clicks when the key is actuated. I understand this is also called a "buzzer", right?

Pros I see:
- choose you own click sound! Loud, soft, on, off, highpitched, low pitched....
- if you would intercept individual keypresses, you might even give keys an individual sound. Enter, Space or Esc come to mind.
- the click is exactly at the point of actuation

Background: fantasizing of building a split keyboard, with linear switches. Each half having it's own built in buzzer, pitched slightly differently. Edit: this is the board I'm dreaming of: https://imgur.com/a/vOtcm#9TPBEEi

So why don't we see more buzzers? Please enlighten me, keyboard gurus ! Thanks!

zslane

10 Nov 2017, 18:46

Because the best click sound is the one you never hear...

Findecanor

10 Nov 2017, 23:33

There is software that makes clicks through the PC's sound card. Check out ClicKey for Windows.

Yes, I have also had the same thought: why not a left and a right speaker (stereo) in the keyboard itself...
On a laptop, it would be the same because the speakers are located there anyway.
But maybe getting the clicks in your headphones would be better in an office setting.
Petros wrote: I understand this is also called a "buzzer", right?
No, a "buzzer" is a very simple component that can only beep. Most buzzers are a on-or-off piezo-electric devices that produces a single tone.
Petros wrote: Background: fantasizing of building a split keyboard, with linear switches. Each half having it's own built in buzzer, pitched slightly differently. Edit: this is the board I'm dreaming of: https://imgur.com/a/vOtcm#9TPBEEi
Looks good. Know that you will need to fit also the controller, connectors and speaker inside.
A tip: print your layout on paper to test-type on it. I have found that to be a good and cheap way to find out if a layout for the thumb keys is reasonable, too far away or too tight.

Petros

11 Nov 2017, 15:46

Thanks.
Edit: I did experiment w/ clicks through the PC speakers. That sounds fake, I think because the sound comes from a different location than the keyboard. I hope that small speakers inside the keyboard itself will sound more convincing.

Hak Foo

12 Nov 2017, 07:41

I tried a board like that (Wang 725) and it emited a silly beep rater than a proper click.

Return to “Keyboards”