Black M122 Battlecruiser?

JP!

01 Dec 2017, 19:15

I took a bit of a gamble was able to win this M122 from an eBay auction earlier. Either someone did a damn fine job dyeing the case black or the plastic is actually black. Either way I did not have an M122 so I think it will make a nice addition to my "fleet".
1.jpg
1.jpg (658.01 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (317.54 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (481.66 KiB) Viewed 4918 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Dec 2017, 19:27

Nice, I don't think I've ever seen one of these on black before.

Myoth

01 Dec 2017, 19:42

I'm 70% sure it's custom made, I hope you didn't pay much for it... I'm quite sure I already saw it on GH, will try to find the original post (if there is).

EDIT : I can't find the post again, so I can't prove it is. Anyway, as Ir0n said, this is a neat custom paint !
Last edited by Myoth on 01 Dec 2017, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Ir0n

01 Dec 2017, 19:53

Even if it is custom it's pretty sharp looking.
It needs a black cable to match.

JP!

01 Dec 2017, 20:02

I asked the seller if they dyed it and they replied back: "I have no idea, it was in the attic of the house i just moved into." I paid more than I would a regular M122 as I do like the looks of it. Out the door I ended up paying $73 shipped for this one which is more expensive than regular M122's which might go from $40-60 shipped (maybe more in some cases) in the US. Still a bit cheaper than the black M13's.

JP!

01 Dec 2017, 20:06

Ir0n wrote: Even if it is custom it's pretty sharp looking.
Yep, it will for sure need a matching cable. Any recommendations on what to use? Offhand the old IBM Black SDL to DIN cables come to mind or a custom made USB cable if I convert it to USB.

Myoth

01 Dec 2017, 20:08

This almost-taken-off sticker makes me think about a custom paint job or not...

Ir0n

01 Dec 2017, 20:19

JP! wrote:
Yep, it will for sure need a matching cable. Any recommendations on what to use? Offhand the old IBM Black SDL to DIN cables come to mind or a custom made USB cable if I convert it to USB.
That's exactly what I was thinking of. https://www.elecshopper.com/ibm-sdl-to- ... e-new.html

JP!

01 Dec 2017, 20:25

I actually prefer the old din connector over ps2. The connector just seems so solid and I also have one of Orihalcon's adapters so this should work out perfect.

Chyros

01 Dec 2017, 20:54

Is the inside coloured as well?

JP!

01 Dec 2017, 21:42

Chyros wrote: Is the inside coloured as well?
That's the mystery. I will do an update once it arrives.

OldIsNew

01 Dec 2017, 22:38

I agree - it looks nice, dyed or not!

unxmaal

01 Dec 2017, 22:41

Ooh, I had my eye on that, but got too busy and forgot about the auction!

Enjoy!

Chyros

01 Dec 2017, 22:55

JP! wrote:
Chyros wrote: Is the inside coloured as well?
That's the mystery. I will do an update once it arrives.
I think that'll help a lot with pinning it down. Do we know of ANY IBM's with coloured cases that are NOT coloured on the inside?

Findecanor

01 Dec 2017, 23:04

Unicomp has made black M122 but those are different. No square IBM badge, of course.

Was it 7bit or Webwit who once made a group order of black Unicomp M122 cases to Europe? I know that at least one was broken in shipping because the plastic was too thin.

aspenc4

01 Dec 2017, 23:40

That thing is a monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

01 Dec 2017, 23:43

99.9% chance of a custom repainting. As others have noticed, pretty good joob (at least looking these photos). Looks pretty slick!

Buggot

01 Dec 2017, 23:48

It's huge! Also, I really like how you call a group of keyboards a fleet. Is that an actual thing among keyboarders?

depletedvespene

02 Dec 2017, 00:24

Buggot wrote: It's huge! Also, I really like how you call a group of keyboards a fleet. Is that an actual thing among keyboarders?
Well, we do have battleships, battlecruisers, a carrier (and those may be joined in the future by a monitor).

Buggot

02 Dec 2017, 00:36

depletedvespene wrote:
Buggot wrote: It's huge! Also, I really like how you call a group of keyboards a fleet. Is that an actual thing among keyboarders?
Well, we do have battleships, battlecruisers, a carrier (and those may be joined in the future by a monitor).
Hahaha, that's amazing! I learned something new then.

JP!

03 Dec 2017, 23:37

Ir0n wrote:
JP! wrote:
That's exactly what I was thinking of. https://www.elecshopper.com/ibm-sdl-to- ... e-new.html
I was thinking, why destroy one of these old vintage SDL cables when there are other options.

There are lots of black coiled cables available used on CB radios for cheap. These might be a nice option for someone missing a cable to a Model F XT or AT keyboard.

Workman MIL10 6 Wire CB Radio Cord
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Workman-MIL10- ... Swi0xaDGJR
cbl.jpg
cbl.jpg (26.93 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
Din Connector - Switchcraft 05BL5MX
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... =175668276
din.jpg
din.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 4673 times

Ir0n

04 Dec 2017, 02:15

My dad is big into CB stuff and I tell him all the time to keep his spare cables for me for this reason.
I admit I've never used any of them for anything..yet.

Love to see how it turns out!

orihalcon

04 Dec 2017, 08:43

Could do a deep scratch test or take a little plastic off with a dremel on the inside of the case and see on the inside of the case and see if there is white plastic underneath. Seems odd that they would have used a white barrel plate if the case was black to me.

Cattus_D

04 Dec 2017, 21:39

Hey, cool! I saw it on E-Bay but eventually didn't buy it as I'd already splurged on another hobby. That black looks excellent!

JP!

04 Dec 2017, 22:25

I see that this keyboard actually comes from "the_ambyguous", a member here at DT and on Mechmarket who sold off his collection. I'm not sure I buy the story that this was just found in an attic.

JP!

21 Dec 2017, 00:26

I forgot to update this post. This keyboard was painted black and fairly obvious from a small chip on the bottom. It was still a decent paint job. Also I did get a black cable from an AT courtesy of Fohat. I think if I were to do this over I would have found a cheaper M122 and painted it myself (not that I really have the time or place to do so these days).

Return to “Keyboards”