Do you want to try Varmilo contactless EC switch numpad? Stay tuned!

Varmilo

21 Dec 2017, 02:20

:D
Attachments
Varmilo.jpg
Varmilo.jpg (916.84 KiB) Viewed 4423 times

Elrick

21 Dec 2017, 06:42

More importantly here - When are we going to see any releases of these switches into the 68, 87 and 104 keyboards?

rich1051414

21 Dec 2017, 07:06

I agree. I am more of a DIY person, but these are not drop in replacements for cherry switches. I want a 75% option before my interest is peaked, unfortunately.

However, with the Inherent N-Key rollover, life expectancy of multiple lifetimes, more room for tactility options, the possibility for key actuation distance customization, I REALLY want to be interested. I do like the idea.

Varmilo

21 Dec 2017, 08:27

Elrick wrote: More importantly here - When are we going to see any releases of these switches into the 68, 87 and 104 keyboards?
Once these new switches released, they will be available for all of layout keyboards. Stay Tuned! :D

Varmilo

21 Dec 2017, 08:28

rich1051414 wrote: I agree. I am more of a DIY person, but these are not drop in replacements for cherry switches. I want a 75% option before my interest is peaked, unfortunately.

However, with the Inherent N-Key rollover, life expectancy of multiple lifetimes, more room for tactility options, the possibility for key actuation distance customization, I REALLY want to be interested. I do like the idea.
Yes, you are right. Thanks for liking it. ;)

Elrick

21 Dec 2017, 11:39

Varmilo wrote: Once these new switches released, they will be available for all of layout keyboards. Stay Tuned! :D
Please put the switches within some neat Magnesium Cased Keyboards here - Money is no barrier if you actually provide goods of Ultra High Quality :wink: .

Menuhin

21 Dec 2017, 12:04

Exciting new product - sounds like a modular switch unit of Topre.

I'm eager to try these switches out and understand their construction. Will definitely build keyboards with them if they feel nice for my fingers. :)

depletedvespene

21 Dec 2017, 12:24

Varmilo wrote:
Elrick wrote: More importantly here - When are we going to see any releases of these switches into the 68, 87 and 104 keyboards?
Once these new switches released, they will be available for all of layout keyboards. Stay Tuned! :D
Will they be available in kit form, or sold independently as well?

zslane

21 Dec 2017, 17:23

Is there a more thorough description of these switches somewhere?

TuxKey
LLAP

21 Dec 2017, 18:10

zslane wrote: Is there a more thorough description of these switches somewhere?

i second that.. never heard of these switches more info would be appreciated.

rich1051414

21 Dec 2017, 19:20

TuxKey wrote:
zslane wrote: Is there a more thorough description of these switches somewhere?

i second that.. never heard of these switches more info would be appreciated.
They work like any other electro capacitive switch, like topre, only the capacitive material is on a slider or uses the spring.

I would like to know info on the colors and tactility information on available switches tho.

I am going to assume pinks are linear, if they are keeping things consistent.

Lustique

21 Dec 2017, 19:57

codemonkeymike

21 Dec 2017, 21:52

Hold up, if the switch being used is the one in that video then it is not electro capacitive. Thats a reed switch, unless the graphic is wrong in some sense. So it is "electro magnetic" not "electro capacitive".

Elrick

22 Dec 2017, 07:43

codemonkeymike wrote: Hold up, if the switch being used is the one in that video then it is not electro capacitive. Thats a reed switch, unless the graphic is wrong in some sense. So it is "electro magnetic" not "electro capacitive".
Aint it a GREAT time to be alive :mrgreen: .

New switches are about to hit the market like never before, so the longer I'm around they all shall be added to my collection before the end.

Chyros

22 Dec 2017, 07:52

I don't understand this at all. If it's a capacitive switch, then why does the switch have metal contacts just like a Cherry switch? And if it's not physical contact-based, why does the slider have cams? The cams even clip through the contacts in the render! Oo And just like Mike said, the way the animation works makes it look like it's a magnetic-conductive switch (not a reed switch though, as the contacts aren't sealed).

rich1051414

22 Dec 2017, 19:39

Chyros wrote: I don't understand this at all. If it's a capacitive switch, then why does the switch have metal contacts just like a Cherry switch? And if it's not physical contact-based, why does the slider have cams? The cams even clip through the contacts in the render! Oo And just like Mike said, the way the animation works makes it look like it's a magnetic-conductive switch (not a reed switch though, as the contacts aren't sealed).
Yeah I am confused as well. Honestly, that animation confused the heck out of me. What is being demonstrated isn't electro-capacitive at all, unless I am missing something.

Chyros

22 Dec 2017, 20:35

rich1051414 wrote:
Chyros wrote: I don't understand this at all. If it's a capacitive switch, then why does the switch have metal contacts just like a Cherry switch? And if it's not physical contact-based, why does the slider have cams? The cams even clip through the contacts in the render! Oo And just like Mike said, the way the animation works makes it look like it's a magnetic-conductive switch (not a reed switch though, as the contacts aren't sealed).
Yeah I am confused as well. Honestly, that animation confused the heck out of me. What is being demonstrated isn't electro-capacitive at all, unless I am missing something.
You're not missing anything at all, that demonstration simply isn't capacitive, nor is it contactless.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love market innovations like this, but just like with Bloody (whom I more or less tore to shreds) I think there's some grade-A bullshit marketing going on here. Still though, capsense and contactless rock, I hope it is actually that! :D

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Dec 2017, 22:11

Well, according to the video, you get little lightning bolts shooting around inside. It would be a challenge to be more clueless about the subject.

I still remember Noppoo bringing out a "capacitive" keyboard that turned out to be something very suspect (no-one was quite sure what it was, but it had diodes) but the real capacitive version was confirmed later in time.

Elrick

23 Dec 2017, 00:59

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Well, according to the video, you get little lightning bolts shooting around inside.
That would be cool having enough charge to start a 357 Windsor Phase III engine :lol: .

Then this future keyboard model would be worth buying to start any car up, if their on board battery is dead.

I knew Varmilo was unique when it comes to making powerful keyboards......

hasu

23 Dec 2017, 05:32

I got a keyboard with Pink EC swithes from Varmilo for review and there are unsorted pics here. https://imgur.com/a/sYv7O
I'll writeup somewhere later.

Return to “Keyboards”