Zenith Z-150 green alps board ideas

tobo

03 Jan 2018, 18:23

I'm looking for suggestions for the below board that I got from my secret santa. From searching around it doesn't seem possible to connect this board to a modern PC. I also couldn't find any cases for it anywhere for sale. So I'm thinking of desoldering the switches and using them in an Alps kit. Some of the kits I found:
  • Hasu Alps64 PCB AEK II 60%
  • Ergodox Infinite
  • Nyquist/Let's Split keyboard
Hasu's Apls64 PCB seems great but not easily available and it would take quite some time and money to source all the parts to build a 60% AEK II board. Same with the Ergodox Infinity which is even more expensive, though it looks cool.
The orthoboard seem interesting but I'm not convinced it would be nice typing on it.
Are there any other kits readily available and cheap for Alps? I would also prefer to use the original key caps as well.

Edit: I contacted Hasu and was able to get Alps64 PCB+plate for a AEK II 60% build. I desoldered the switches from the original PCB (unfortunately the PCB cracked when I tried removing it). Now I have all the switches sitting in the plate and I expected to pop them out but it seems they're glued in there or something. I can see some black material around the corners of the switches on the bottom. Does anybody have any tips of safely removing the switches without damaging them?
Spoiler:
20171228_170948.jpg
20171228_170948.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1828 times
Last edited by tobo on 14 Jan 2018, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Jan 2018, 18:36

So I guess yours is the older 100-1886?
The 100-1886 version of the Z-150 has a black logo and is a XT keyboard. It is not compatible with modern PC's without a active converter. It is thought that the 1886 version is older but both versions came with Green or Yellow Alps (Yellow Alps is the newer version). This points to that both versions were made at or near the same time for different Zenith systems.
wiki/Zenith_Z-150

Soarers?

workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-c ... t2510.html

Laser
emacs -nw

03 Jan 2018, 18:50

Also maybe this: https://github.com/namato/tmk_z150 , should work with a Teensy 2.0, or with a cheaper "Pro Micro".

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

03 Jan 2018, 20:11

I think I have a case lying around if you're interested. Should have the cable as well. If memory serves I took the logo off, though.

tobo

03 Jan 2018, 22:15

seebart wrote: So I guess yours is the older 100-1886?
The 100-1886 version of the Z-150 has a black logo and is a XT keyboard. It is not compatible with modern PC's without a active converter. It is thought that the 1886 version is older but both versions came with Green or Yellow Alps (Yellow Alps is the newer version). This points to that both versions were made at or near the same time for different Zenith systems.
wiki/Zenith_Z-150

Soarers?

workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-c ... t2510.html
Thanks for the links. I checked out the wiki already and came across Soarer converter, but am still not sure if it will work with this model (1886). According to the links below this board needs an additional reset signal (?) to make it work and it will not work with Soarer converter.

keyboards-f2/xt-zenith-z-150-converter-t12972.html

keyboards-f2/zenith-z-150-t15305.html

@Hypersphere in the second thread is the only person I've come across confirming that he was able to make it work with Orihalcon-Soarer converter. However I cannot find this converter anywhere for sale. Also I'm not sure how make it myself yet. But if it''ll work I'm definitely willing to try.

@Laser thanks for link. This make hopefull it should be possible make it work.
//gainsborough wrote: I think I have a case lying around if you're interested. Should have the cable as well. If memory serves I took the logo off, though.
I might be interested, as it would be nice to have to board restored and working if possible. PM'd.

Laser
emacs -nw

03 Jan 2018, 23:11

Cool! & good luck restoring the board :)

SpacemanToby

12 Jan 2018, 18:24

Super jealous. I have canon typewriter keyboard with matias switches on it and one green alps for the caps lock. It's so smooth and makes a great sound when bottoming out. I would love a whole keyboard of greens.

Last bumped by tobo on 12 Jan 2018, 18:24.

Return to “Keyboards”