Cybernetic Data Products Keyboard

just_add_coffee

12 Jan 2018, 21:24

I got this from a local Goodwill store. I didn't know anything about it other than it's totes adorbs. <3

The plastic top of the case is secured to the plastic bottom with plastic pull-out rivots. It's rather flimsy, especially when compared to what's inside.

Still cute as heck!

I believe that these are Maxi-Switch vintage linears. These seem to be linear switches, somewhat stiff (I lean towards stiff switches anyway), and the travel distance feels rather short. I don't have this working yet, but I suspect that typing on this board will be a lot of fun.

OldIsNew

12 Jan 2018, 22:13

Nice find! Cool looking board. Hard to beat a name like "Cybernetic" too.

ideus

12 Jan 2018, 22:26

The key caps seem to be MX compatible.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Jan 2018, 00:24

I would be surprised. There are, however, "clones" of those switches that take MX keycaps:

[wiki]MX mount SMK clone series[/wiki]

Note that the term "clone" here is dubious, as I only class switches as "clones" if they are drop-in replacements, which is clearly not true if the keycaps don't fit! However, I have yet to decide on a less sucky name for these switches.

ClickMe

31 Jan 2018, 17:50

I love those old multicolor ribbon cables. You don't see that anymore in modern devices.

just_add_coffee

03 Jun 2018, 19:02

Let there be LUBE!!!

Liquid electrical tape FTW!
If anyone knows of a more elegant solution than hot glue for preventing the switch from coming out when attempting to remove keycaps, I'd be very grateful.

It's a fun, noisy little board. VERY smooth, rather stiffish linear switches. But it's difficult to get used to using such a minimalist keyboard.

Iggy

03 Jun 2018, 19:11

Lubed hall effect switches, should be very nice I guess, since I never typed on one. The lay-out would drive me nuts, though. Are they mx compatible?

just_add_coffee

03 Jun 2018, 19:21

Iggy wrote: Lubed hall effect switches, should be very nice I guess, since I never typed on one. The lay-out would drive me nuts, though. Are they mx compatible?
They're Maxi-switch Vintage Linears. I've got some hall effect boards, but I have no idea how to get them working yet.

Yeah, the layout isn't fun. They aren't MX compatible, but they do seem to be compatible with Alps SKCC. I borrowed a relegendable from a Pingmaster to replace the missing keycap (the Beer! key).

Tha_Pig

04 Jun 2018, 13:55

Nice find and restoration job.

I used to see vintage computer stuff at Goodwill all the times, but the stores in my area stopped selling computer stuff years ago, allegedly because of some environment related law. :cry:

savantstrike

04 Jun 2018, 17:16

Tha_Pig wrote:Nice find and restoration job.

I used to see vintage computer stuff at Goodwill all the times, but the stores in my area stopped selling computer stuff years ago, allegedly because of some environment related law. :cry:
Goodwill became a dumping ground for old equipment in my area and they stopped taking all televisions (lead in crts and mercury in LCDs) because I think people were "donating" broken sets to get rid of them.

With computers, at least in my area they never had the people necessary to figure out if they were good or not, so the only areas I've seen them take computers are where there are volunteers to rebuild them.

Goodwill still gets an occasional keyboard or two in my area, but that's pretty much it. It used to be a lot more fun to go there 5-10 years ago though.

Hak Foo

05 Jun 2018, 01:16

The local thrift shops won't take most CRT TVs, although I've seen a few small ones recently. California tends to lead the curve on disposal requirements so they may get the worst of it.

The ones near me virtually never have entire PCs, but usually have stacks of terrible keyboards/mice, small LCD monitors, and optical drives. I had heard a claim that they didn't want to fight with whole PCs because people were making threatening noises because they couldn't prove the legitimacy of the software licenses on random donated computers.

Sangdrax

05 Jun 2018, 04:32

Woah. Talk about synchronicity. I'm also in the middle of restoring a Cybernetix with Maxi switch linears. I didn't get an awesome goodwill deal on it like that though. And it's off a different system, with less colorful caps but a more standard full size layout.

Your impressions are pretty much bang on with mine. Super smooth with lube but pretty heavy. They pretty much required cleaning too because dirt wouldn't get down in the slider rails but in the little collar at the top of the switch case and just make things scratchy as hell. And when you already got them apart, why not lube them right?

just_add_coffee

08 Jun 2018, 20:28

I think I want to try to trade this board for a new project, ideally something weird, that I haven't tried before, and with more keys. I don't really care if it's new or vintage. Maybe someone has a 142-key monstrosity and they would prefer a more minimalist keyboard like this.

slywuf

25 Oct 2018, 08:31

I've got a Cybernetic Data Products Silent Radio display, but no keyboard. Perhaps this keyboard would work with it? What does it use for an interface connector? Do you want to part with the keyboard?

Pumaeggs

25 Oct 2018, 15:59

just_add_coffee wrote: I think I want to try to trade this board for a new project, ideally something weird, that I haven't tried before, and with more keys. I don't really care if it's new or vintage. Maybe someone has a 142-key monstrosity and they would prefer a more minimalist keyboard like this.
Actually, funny you mention it, because i do have a 144 key monstrosity that i'd be interested in trading for this board! its an ortek MCK-142 pro. feel free to PM if you're interested

Return to “Keyboards”