TADA68 question

Yuubin

15 Feb 2018, 20:03

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I received a TADA68 kit from Massdrop which I have now assembled.

I really like the layout and everything is working fine with one little exception:

I used the online (flash) configurator to change capslock to FN and now the LED underneath the capslock key is permanently turned off. If I switch back to the original layout the LED works flawlessly.

Does anybody know of a easy way to solve this?

Thank you,
Yuubin

rich1051414

16 Feb 2018, 04:12

I am not familiar with that keyboard's firmware as I have never owned one, but does the keyboard have LED's installed on all switches? It should only light the LED for the switch location of where the caps lock key is, regardless of where you put it, not the original LED position of the caps lock.

In other words, you may need to install an LED in the switch that you moved the caps lock to.

Yuubin

17 Feb 2018, 18:15

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the keyboard has LEDs installed on all switches and the caps lock key LED works with the original layout. Only if I change the caps lock function to FN does it stop working.

ClickyKlacky

19 Feb 2018, 07:09

It isn't a flaw...you remapped the caps lock to function. Most standard keyboard implementations have an LED indicator turn on when caps is enabled indicating that CAPS LOCK IS ON and to turn off when caps lot is not on. If you switched it to a function implementation, which rarely has the key toggle on, it is active when pressed, then inactive when you release the key, it would be confusing and not make much sense to have the led switch on for a momentary key press. Not really indicating the state of the key.

TuxKey
LLAP

20 Feb 2018, 12:36

i'm curious , does it work if you move the caps-lock to different location so not back to the original.
As a test ....

i really like the TADA68 that's why i'm curious...

rich1051414

20 Feb 2018, 14:48

I think what he is saying is, when he changes caps lock to another key, the firmware does(correctly) stop lighting it up for caps lock, but it also(incorrectly) stops using the LED totally, for the overall lighting mode.

Perhaps the caps lock is hard coded omitted from the lighting mode to prevent the lighting mode from interfering, but that is quite the oversight, if I am understanding correctly.

Yuubin

11 Mar 2018, 19:34

Yes, I guess that the caps lock lighting mode is indeed hard coded to that key location.

Once I have a little more time on my hand, I will try out the QMK firmware for the TADA to see if that makes a difference.

Apart from this little glitch the TADA68 is really nice. I would recommend to anyone looking for a compact layout with cursor keys.

Return to “Keyboards”