How do you get used to different keyboards ?

RV06

02 Mar 2018, 14:42

Hello,

I was wondering if you have issues when changing keyboard disposition.
Like, when using an Ergodox one day, and your genuine laptop's keyboard the other day.
The layouts and shapes are rather different, and I'm wondering how finger's muscle memory handle that.

That's actually a reason why I'm reluctant to go to "strange" keyboards like the Ergodox. I'm sure I can get used to an Ergodox quite fast, but then I'm not sure I can live with using a "classic" keyboard 50% of the time.

depletedvespene

02 Mar 2018, 14:49

Practice, and a mindset open to such changes, is what's needed. One's brain can learn and handle the distinct movement patterns associated with each physical layout.

Same thing when switching national layouts, come to think of it.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

02 Mar 2018, 14:57

I use US ANSI on my laptop and desktop, JIS for my work desk, and ISO on occasion. Whenever switching it takes a couple of minutes to remember where every key is but you get used to it very quickly. Your brain learns each layout individually and your brain switches itself each time you switch.

The biggest change is the change in tactility, as I go from linear Alps to scissor to tactile Cherry which is a bit displeasing to your brain while it figures it out each time.

Iggy

02 Mar 2018, 15:27

I can work very well with both ansi and iso. I like iso for the vertical enter key and I like ansi for the longer left shift key. I'm trying to learn to use the right shift as that key is pretty long on both lay-outs (touch-typist here). The only qualm I have is when the arrow keys and the command keys are not where I expect them to be (hello shitty laptop keyboard). To me, the best keyboard is the one I can operate without ever looking down at the keys. No matter the switch, the only keyboard I can not possibly work with are those tiny keyboards everyone seems so much in love with these days. I want my keyboards in full glory, not some castrated form.

And I also think I"m the only person on earth who really likes unmodified black Alps. So there. =P
Last edited by Iggy on 02 Mar 2018, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

02 Mar 2018, 15:28

I quite like Black Alps too, but there are far better tactile switches out there.

twinrotor

02 Mar 2018, 16:02

I don't have to switch between ANSI/ISO/JIS, but I do see about a dozen different keyboards daily. You just get use to it. I think the most important thing I learned, while actually taking a typing class 25 years ago, is to learn to use "home key" markers. My Multitech is one of the only keyboards that throws me off; it has scalloped home keys, rather than raised tabs.

My home notebook is a 11" m11xR3, so I go between all sizes everyday as well. Working on a 13" HP Stream right now, but I'm typing this on my substitute generic MX blue full-size lol

Chyros

02 Mar 2018, 17:00

Blaise170 wrote: I quite like Black Alps too, but there are far better tactile switches out there.
IMO black Alps are at that strange point where they're better than modern switches but worse than most legacy tactile switches.

RV06

03 Mar 2018, 14:08

Blaise170 wrote: The biggest change is the change in tactility, as I go from linear Alps to scissor to tactile Cherry which is a bit displeasing to your brain while it figures it out each time.
I had not thought especially about that, but that's one of my concerns as well. Good point!

Also, good to know switching from one keyboard arrangement to another is not an issue for you. Thanks for your feedback!

My current usual keyboards are ANSI and ISO, and I'm especially sensible at the "ç" key in BÉPO (# in ISO, \ in ANSI).
With an Ergodox (for example, as that's my most serious lead today), I'd have to find another place for it.

As I type with BÉPO layout, and most keyboards don't have BÉPO-printed keys, I'm a blind typist. Having to look at the keys is not an option for me.

Return to “Keyboards”