IBM Model M2 - are they as bad as people say?

green-squid

08 Mar 2018, 21:41

I have seen Thomas' review of this keyboard and it is definitely a flawed keyboard (Capacitor issues, feel issues). But is it atleast 'pretty good'? in your opinion? I think it shouldn't be that bad after replacing the caps and cleaning the membranes.

:?:

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2018, 21:43

I like 'em. Buckling springs in a "modern" format. The question is, do you compare to a 1985 Model M, or to a real modern shit keyboard? On the scale it's definitely more towards that Model M. Relatively near even.

wobbled

08 Mar 2018, 21:44

Subjective of course --
But I prefer the size and the typing feel of the M2 over the M.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Mar 2018, 21:49

It's not a bad keyboard, it's just hard as hell to put back together after fixing the inevitable capacitor issue. My M2 broke apart after trying to fix mine, since it's held together with cheap plastic rivets that break if you sneeze.

green-squid

08 Mar 2018, 21:53

Blaise170 wrote: It's not a bad keyboard, it's just hard as hell to put back together after fixing the inevitable capacitor issue. My M2 broke apart after trying to fix mine, since it's held together with cheap plastic rivets that break if you sneeze.
Uh oh. That's not a good thing!

elecplus

08 Mar 2018, 22:02

In my opinion, nasty keyboards! Hard to take apart and reassemble. Typing feel is very cheap compared to Ms. I won't even put warranty on one that does work, because I know they die so easily.

digital_matthew

08 Mar 2018, 22:07

The small form-factor is a plus, but it doesn't have the graceful curve that a proper M has. Also in my experience the key feel is inconsistent and rougher than an M, especially an old rainbow-backplated square badge. It was a pretty good value overall; a genuine IBM buckling springs keyboard for cheap, although recent ebay activity would tend to refute that.

green-squid

08 Mar 2018, 22:27

digital_matthew wrote: The small form-factor is a plus, but it doesn't have the graceful curve that a proper M has. Also in my experience the key feel is inconsistent and rougher than an M, especially an old rainbow-backplated square badge. It was a pretty good value overall; a genuine IBM buckling springs keyboard for cheap, although recent ebay activity would tend to refute that.
Screw those eBay sellers trying to flip M2s for big money! It's like even though they already drove up the prices of regular Ms, they thought they didn't have enough money and just drove up M2s as well because RARE IBM VINTAGE KEYBOARD CLICKY!!!!

fohat
Elder Messenger

09 Mar 2018, 02:02

The M2 is a shame - it was a good idea that could have been a winner, but they chose to change the things that were important rather than the things that weren't, at least construction-wise.

The Model M is already a cheap flimsy downgrade of the Model F, although in a better format.

M2 is a further cheapening and plasticing of the original M in an even better format.

Elrick

09 Mar 2018, 05:00

This is the ONLY IBM emblem keyboard, to which I can physically twist it in opposite directions and break it in the middle.

Only keyboard ever I could fully destroy in less than 40 seconds. That says something about how low down IBM mechanical keyboards had fallen, after producing this cheapo crap.

I know some arse-clowns are trying to offload this garbage on Flebay. You would really be disappointed on the wastage and land fill this will eventually go to.

Save your money....avoid at all costs. FACT - Sometimes having an IBM emblem doesn't guarantee you anything anymore.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

09 Mar 2018, 05:49

I'm not a fan of the M2. There are much better options in the original Model M and especially the Model F.

Darkshado

09 Mar 2018, 05:53

Can you solder? Can you acquire it for a handful of Forints?
If it's a yes to both, sure, go ahead; otherwise? Caveat emptor, as per other posters.

andrewjoy

09 Mar 2018, 14:40

They feel a little less refined and the case is pretty bad but overall no they are not as bad as people say at all. In fact i quite like them , the sound is way more ping than a M in my opinion.

I have several Ms A ghetto indy a square label a NIB SSK, M2 and a blue label , and honestly the blue label feels the worst by miles, the rest are all good but just feel different. I would say the m2 is on part with a mid range nothing special M.

They dont feel better than older Ms tho.

balotz

10 Mar 2018, 00:18

The M2 is like the AK47 of Model M boards. You can take the whole thing apart very easily, and it's not difficult to reassemble once you've done it the first time.

You get the best parts of the M (same hammers / springs, PBT caps - in a lower profile), with a compact footprint and full size layout.

It has a bad reputation due to the capacitor issue, but these are easy enough to replace - I've done it on 3 of my boards. Yes the case flexes, but this isn't noticeable if you actually use the keyboard for its intended purpose.

There's no reason for keyfeel to be any different as the springs / hammers are identical to those in the M - they are interchangeable.

Findecanor

10 Mar 2018, 02:31

I tried to remake one into a SSK by cutting and patching the membrane but my new traces broke too easily.

Has anybody tried bolt-modding a M2?

digital_matthew

10 Mar 2018, 04:31

Findecanor wrote: I tried to remake one into a SSK by cutting and patching the membrane but my new traces broke too easily.

Has anybody tried bolt-modding a M2?
That would be interesting because the barrel plate is also the case top, and the only rigid thing behind it that you could bolt into is the case back. If someone fabricated a steel plate to go between the case top and case back you could bolt into it and increase rigidity.

Arakula

15 Mar 2018, 18:08

balotz wrote: There's no reason for keyfeel to be any different as the springs / hammers are identical to those in the M - they are interchangeable.
Since the metal backplate also plays a part in the "keyfeel", I doubt that.
I got enough Ms - my fingers know the difference.

Plus, the M2 doesn't have the curvature of the M. Depending on your typing habits, that may count as a positive or negative deviation - for me, it was the reason to sell that ****ing piece of **** I got as part of a bigger deal as soon as I had the capacitors fixed. It simply felt awful, buckling springs or not.

spongebob1981

19 Mar 2018, 13:49

I brought back 2 of them from the dead. Covered in pigeon crap and whatnot, caps busted and all, so I know a little something about them XD

1) Reliability: stabilized keys are so by a plastic flexible tab that is actual part of the keycap. Once those crack, it's over. It's good to have spares even before you start to mess with one.
2) Capacitors: they are not so hard to desolder and solder new ones. But putting the case together again is a ROYAL PITA. Luckily, if you don't let them sleep for years, new caps are good for a LOT of time.
3) There is a rubber dust cover beneath the hammers and the membranes. It warps and deforms. Don't remember if the thing still works if you leave it out, but I think it doesn't.
4) Even after putting it together for the 5th time, some keys would simply not register properly, or register twice sometimes. A PITA to type on and actually use.

The type feel is somewhat model M-esque, although not as pleasant. Better than most shitty rubber domes but not better than good ones IME (see: reliability). If you are really a hands on DIYer and want to tackle one of this, beware, it can sink you hours and hours and still not be the best.
If not, and you are expecting to use it, it better be damn perfect.

TuxKey
LLAP

19 Mar 2018, 14:29

i have no idea to be honest with you i don't see what all the fuss is about.. IBM model x ..model Y..
for me personally it reminds me of work.. as i have worked for years @ibm most of it was good.. but near the end when all jobs had to be moved to India.. i was basically documenting my work so that low skilled people could do it hahaha..
I don't mind more power to them.. still i don't want to be typing @home all day on something that reminds me of work !!
besides the second switch that has such a hype are topre at least one can buy those and with sum smart Hassu controller make it modern as shit !! which i have done.. and i switch between mx-clears i need to mod ..and topre which i have modded .. i really don't seem myself typing on IBM anything..hahaha but that's just me.. if the tech gets ported to new modern boards perhaps i'l consider it..

FXT
XT

19 Mar 2018, 14:45

It's easy to mod an F107, F122, F104, F AT to a modern layout and the Ellipse Fs will also have a modern layout. I use an XT every day and the layout doesn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't discount them entirely.

Touch_It

19 Mar 2018, 22:19

I like the feel of the M2 over the M. Feels more crisp to me, and closer to how an F feels. Build quality is bad though.

Thought I should edit before I get hate, my opinion is unpopular and subjective. I would always recommend trying one, but for a daily usage board I wouldn't recommend one due to build quality.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Mar 2018, 18:02

Touch_It wrote: I like the feel of the M2 over the M. Feels more crisp to me, and closer to how an F feels. Build quality is bad though.

Thought I should edit before I get hate, my opinion is unpopular and subjective. I would always recommend trying one, but for a daily usage board I wouldn't recommend one due to build quality.
Man, haven't seen you around in forever. :lol:

Darkshado

21 Mar 2018, 03:20

Darkshado wrote: Can you solder? Can you acquire it for a handful of Forints?
If it's a yes to both, sure, go ahead; otherwise? Caveat emptor, as per other posters.
Funny story: I wound up buying an M2 for a few dollars a mere nine days after writing this.

Touch_It

21 Mar 2018, 15:52

Blaise170 wrote:
Touch_It wrote: I like the feel of the M2 over the M. Feels more crisp to me, and closer to how an F feels. Build quality is bad though.

Man, haven't seen you around in forever. :lol:
I've been lurking, but haven't posted in a considerable while.

Return to “Keyboards”