Keyboard Speculation

digital_matthew

09 Mar 2018, 22:23

Hey everyone,

There has been a really interesting conversation happening in the Great and Interesting Finds thread that I think deserves a place of its own. And that is to do with the unprecedented movement in vintage keyboard pricing. The phenomenon known as "The Market" has caught up with our arcane hobby, so the question on everyone's mind is, "Where are prices going to go next?" I'm not advocating that keyboards be treated like securities or real estate to be bought low and sold high; I don't want to sell my keyboards (at least my favorites) at all. But still for someone trying to get their hands on a decent Model M or maybe shooting for the stars for a beam spring or blue Alps keyboard, it's worth keeping track of these things to see if there will soon be a realistic entry point into the wonderful and wacky world of vintage keyboard ownership.
Attachments
Gordon_Gekko.jpg
Gordon_Gekko.jpg (65.51 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

09 Mar 2018, 22:30

I think there will (probably in the next few years) be a peak at which keyboards will start depreciating in value. They are cool and interesting and all that, sure, but there's only so many keyboards that one can own before it starts becoming overwhelming. Those with the money to waste and spending $3000 on a keyboard? Get real, these are literally just input devices and they don't have any real value other than the electronics on which they run. People will eventually get bored and the community will shrink back to where it was a few years ago I think.

green-squid

09 Mar 2018, 22:40

My speculation is that in a few years, when Model Ms won't at all be affordable, we will invade thr unicomp plant and BEG the boss to ACCEPT OUR MONEY to fix their stuff.

green-squid

09 Mar 2018, 22:44

My other speculationa (and fear) is that this thread, despite the good intentions by digital_matthew, will become very toxic and everybody will make deaththreats. :(

FXT
XT

10 Mar 2018, 02:18

Model Ms, at least in the US are far too common to become unaffordable.

tron

10 Mar 2018, 02:56

I think the equalibrium price of popular boards like Model Ms/SSKs, Blue Alps and Beamsprings will all go up over time. If you think about it, this hobby is still in its infancy. Increasing numbers of review/typing videos, meet ups and sites like Massdrop are spreading awareness. IMO it was Chyrosran's Beamspring and Blue Alps videos that really showed people how nice these boards are and how easy the beamsprings can be set up. I think people respect his opinion because he's not sponsored and explains everything so eloquently it's like pouring gas on a fire which makes people want these boards even more.

digital_matthew

10 Mar 2018, 04:25

FXT wrote: Model Ms, at least in the US are far too common to become unaffordable.
I agree that the blue and grey labels Model Ms will never be rare enough to command ridiculous prices, especially since Unicomp more-or-less builds the same thing. But of course there is always the square badges and indies that will command a premium. Not to mention NIB and bolt/screw mods.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

10 Mar 2018, 18:33

Yes, there have been a lot of industrial model Ms on eBay lately, all going for high prices. Even the crappy non-buckling spring industrial XT went for hundreds. I'm awaiting the appearance of an industrial SSK to really get the frenzy going.

FXT
XT

10 Mar 2018, 18:46

I'm curious what a "Mopar" SSK would go for with the current market craze.

digital_matthew

10 Mar 2018, 18:54

FXT wrote: I'm curious what a "Mopar" SSK would go for with the current market craze.
I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for a grand. NIB or bolt-modded or both well I can't speculate...

Dingster

10 Mar 2018, 18:55

FXT wrote: I'm curious what a "Mopar" SSK would go for with the current market craze.
probably around 1000$ - 2000$

depletedvespene

10 Mar 2018, 19:17

Techno Trousers wrote: Yes, there have been a lot of industrial model Ms on eBay lately, all going for high prices. Even the crappy non-buckling spring industrial XT went for hundreds. I'm awaiting the appearance of an industrial SSK to really get the frenzy going.
At this point, an industrial unsaver would make the entire market explode.

digital_matthew

10 Mar 2018, 21:06

depletedvespene wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote: Yes, there have been a lot of industrial model Ms on eBay lately, all going for high prices. Even the crappy non-buckling spring industrial XT went for hundreds. I'm awaiting the appearance of an industrial SSK to really get the frenzy going.
At this point, an industrial unsaver would make the entire market explode.
Throw in an authentic Model F APL keycap set: reality implodes...

Mr.Nobody

25 Jun 2018, 07:14

According to basic economics, as long as vintage keyboards are concerned, the price is surely going to soar in the coming decades

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

25 Jun 2018, 15:11

Does that include then vintage keyboards like a Filco Zero? :lol:

codemonkeymike

25 Jun 2018, 15:14

Many collectables sharkfin, all depends on demand. Demand is high today but the people looking for these old keyboards is a subset of a subset and is not growing fast (Look at DT DAU vs /r/MK). I think the most rare keyboards will platau and the uncommon ones will drop in value.

Return to “Keyboards”