Datacomp DFK102

rymut

20 Mar 2018, 12:41

I bought keyboard from http://allegro.pl/klawiatura-mechaniczn ... 14960.html, sadly the sticker was faded away, but board outline was strikingly similar to IBM model M shape.

So when I won the auction I got a really bad case of buyer's remorse mostly because of lack of space and well unknown state of the keyboard, not being sure if it had Blue Alps on it and of course the price higher than way higher than my bid and forget sum of 25 Euro.

Today I got the board I verified that it was Datacomp DFK102, from June 1987, in a good condition some caps are bit yellowed, but otherwise switches and the board is in very nice condition.
20180320_122514.jpg
20180320_122514.jpg (6.01 MiB) Viewed 1558 times
So to celebrate not dumping the money into the sewer, I want to ask for the tips about how to shoot good photos of the keyboard to post on deskthority wiki page.

Quartz64

20 Mar 2018, 15:25

I want to ask for the tips about how to shoot good photos of the keyboard to post on deskthority wiki page.
I don't know what equipment do you have. My photo setup is relatively cheap: Sony NEX camera, couple of Yongnuo YN-560 IV flashes (about $60 each), two 60×60 cm softboxes with stands from Aliexpress, and old but good lenses — 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor for close-ups and Zuiko 28/2.8 for bigger objects like keyboards. Roll of A3 paper for background.
The goal is to provide controllable lighting, preferrably soft. For small objects it's good to use focus stacking — merging several images with different focus distance. If you don't shoot macro you can use standard zoom lens and daylight from a window, with addition of paper or aluminium foil sheet as reflector.

rymut

20 Mar 2018, 21:10

Thanks for the tips my old Nicon D3200 should be good enough, my skills probably not.
I do not have access to remote flashlights, but I probably can find studio lights in the office of one of the co-workers - should work fine for lightning the scene.

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Mar 2018, 23:21

I realise that I'm supposed to be documenting this on the wiki but …

There are two things I should note:

Detail

There's a general list of things that are worth covering, of which various items (even the blatantly obvious ones) often get missed: top, bottom, the label on the back, each switch type used (often different for space, enter, caps lock, escape etc), the controller chip (for date information), any writing on the PCB, and any other labels and inscriptions.

There's no need to Full HaaTa and photograph every rivet and every paint chip. So long as you cover the details that researchers like myself are likely to need in the future, such as model, manufacture date and OEM, that's sufficient. (PCB inscriptions often look meaningless but they can be very important data or clues. I often rediscover these details later on, that I overlooked originally.)

Scene

The only real rule I have, is to clear a space. For example, in the picture above, the background is some cardboard that's too narrow, letting random details show through (carpet, those drawer handles that snap and fall off, other keyboards etc) The entire background should be the same material, whether that's carpet, concrete or cardboard.

Photos look a lot nicer when the background is clear and uniform.

I do wish that people would stick to a standard and consistent aspect ratio, and avoid overcropping, as images cropped right to the subject look cramped and hard to follow, and lead to jagged galleries.

Return to “Keyboards”