Post the ugliest keyboards you've seen!

Topre Enthusiast

21 Mar 2018, 04:46

arkanoid wrote: gold-plated keyboard released in 2008. korean customs are always ahead of time. lol
This one is actually kinda cool 8-).

For some anniversary a while back, PFU came up with these hideous custom HHKB Lite boards (which were already ugly to begin with). A bit of a shame considering they did such a great job on the HHKB Professional HG by comparison. (source: http://pinchocodia.tistory.com/156)

These gold ones look like something Saddam Hussein or a Saudi prince might've been keen on:

And here's one that looks like it was covered in tar?:

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Mar 2018, 04:50

002 wrote:
arkanoid wrote: gold-plated keyboard released in 2008. korean customs are always ahead of time. lol

For some anniversary a while back, PFU came up with these hideous custom HHKB Lite boards (which were already ugly to begin with). A bit of a shame considering they did such a great job on the HHKB Professional HG by comparison. (source: http://pinchocodia.tistory.com/156)

These gold ones look like something Saddam Hussein or a Saudi prince might've been keen on:
Spoiler:
And here's one that looks like it was covered in tar?: ]
jeez that font is so horrendous, not sure how anyone could like that

xxhellfirexx

21 Mar 2018, 05:12

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2018, 13:30

kokokoy wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: Is it me, or is the model really small, making the garish keyboard look too large in comparison?
Thought that also but her finger compared to the keys looks about right. My guess is that because of the angle and camera's DOF makes the board seems close to her body.
You're right - those fingertips are too large compared to what we can see of her head. That said, it's quite difficult to use that wide of a focal length without rectangles (the keyboard, in this case) becoming visibly distorted. Indeed, a high quality photographer working on a... subpar... product.

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2018, 13:32

002 wrote:

………
EWWWWWW! That font!!!

Come to think of it, this is the kind of keyboard a Saudi prince might give to his kids (two units for each and every one of them, of course).

Khers

21 Mar 2018, 13:52

Just leaving these here...

Brett MacK

21 Mar 2018, 13:54

Khers wrote: Image

Just leaving these here...
Wow who would ruin those beautiful keyboards like that.

digital_matthew

21 Mar 2018, 13:55

The Molly toggle for the solenoid is actually pretty awesome.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Mar 2018, 13:56

We should make this thread to a general thing. There are so many ugly keyboards out there. Especially "verschlimmbesserte"/antipimped keyboards and the ones with fugly artisans (I don't believe all are bad, but there are some really bad ones out there, for example the 3D printed monstrosities).

hansichen

21 Mar 2018, 13:57

Brett MacK wrote: Wow who would ruin those beautiful keyboards like that.

You haven't seen the worst one...

Khers

21 Mar 2018, 14:00

hansichen wrote:

Mmm, that quality paint! The hallmark of a true craftsman...

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2018, 14:12

Khers wrote: Just leaving these here...
Those should be on their own (third) category, tagged with the M word...

polemon

21 Mar 2018, 14:15

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB gaming keyboard.

It's on sale for 139.99 USD right now (regular price: 179.99 USD). Uses Romer-G switches.

The keyboard in the picture is a custom design it seems, sold at controllerchaos, for 449.98 USD (sic). They're still in stock, should you be interested...
Attachments
logitech-g910-orion-spectrum-rgb-gaming-keyboard-valence-2.jpeg
logitech-g910-orion-spectrum-rgb-gaming-keyboard-valence-2.jpeg (405.74 KiB) Viewed 8289 times

Brett MacK

21 Mar 2018, 14:41

Khers wrote:
hansichen wrote:

Mmm, that quality paint! The hallmark of a true craftsman...
Wow that’s just sad. There are not many display writers kicking around. What a waste.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Mar 2018, 14:49

This IS a mechanical keyboard (MX blue switches according to the description):

Spoiler:
https://datamancer.com/product/the-diviner-keyboard/
Inspiration & Design

Drawing inspiration from Victorian era design, The Diviner Keyboard is a modern USB keyboard with a natural wooden frame and vintage typewriter key caps. The chassis is carved from a single piece of choice poplar, a lightweight yet durable wood, giving the border its elegant curves and making room for the important internal parts of the keyboard. After carving, the wood is carefully routed along the edges with a Roman Ogee pattern and then finely hand sanded until the wood has a remarkably smooth texture. Then, the wood is cleaned, stained with a deep red mahogany color, and given time to let the stain penetrate and set into the piece. Two thick coats of ultra clear semi-gloss lacquer are applied to the work after it has been given ample time to set, and then it is wet sanded with ultra fine sandpaper to flatten out any uneven material. Finally it is coated again with a heavy layer of lacquer to provide a lasting and beautiful finish.

Brass Accented

The four corners and center point are adorned with acanthus victorian stamped brass findings that frame the typewriter key caps and accent the edges of the Diviner. Adjustable polished brass knobs act as risers underneath the keyboard that, when combined with the rubber pads at the bottom, ensure it is secure on any desk surface. The keyboard lock indicator LEDs are covered with refractive red jewel lenses wrapped in brass with a silver coating.

[…]
I wonder where to find a screen in the same "Victorian era design" :lol:

AMongoose

21 Mar 2018, 14:53

Datamancer also offers displays for a fair price

digital_matthew

21 Mar 2018, 15:08

kbdfr wrote: I wonder where to find a screen in the same "Victorian era design" :lol:
Attachments
faab58db5a720a26d0c4a32f9b42ce6f.jpg
faab58db5a720a26d0c4a32f9b42ce6f.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 8230 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Mar 2018, 16:25

hypkx wrote: We should make this thread to a general thing. There are so many ugly keyboards out there. Especially "verschlimmbesserte"/antipimped keyboards and the ones with fugly artisans (I don't believe all are bad, but there are some really bad ones out there, for example the 3D printed monstrosities).
Wasn't expecting this kind of response actually - I'm making this a general thread and will put the contest thing on hold for now. :lol:

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Mar 2018, 16:47

No keyboard, but some "artisans".

Last edited by hypkx on 21 Mar 2018, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Iggy

21 Mar 2018, 16:50

There is some mighty contributions in here. That wooden keyboard looks actually nice, though.

III

21 Mar 2018, 17:27

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Mar 2018, 17:29

III wrote: Image
That looks radioactive... :geek:

Findecanor

21 Mar 2018, 18:12

III wrote: Image
I can't discern whether the space bar looks mouldy or rusty... Maybe both?

vometia
irritant

21 Mar 2018, 20:48

depletedvespene wrote: IMHO, there need to be two distinct categories in this contest: for inherently ugly keyboards and for keyboards that have been... anti-pimped, for lack of a better word. In the latter category, let me present something that I had the unpleasure of seeing, in all its garishness, on a certain eBay auction:
I actually quite like that. Then again, I'm the owner of a black Unicomp with all sorts of funky-coloured keys. Sadly something died after it wanted a drink of beer, but one day it will be resurrected in all its glory!

Elrick

22 Mar 2018, 03:07

vometia wrote: Sadly something died after it wanted a drink of beer, but one day it will be resurrected in all its glory!
YES, happened to me recently at work (after work). Cracked open a can of Gold FourX (work-joke) but the simpletons had shaken the can so furiously, it went all over the place on my Keyboard, Monitor and Desk.

Got replacements in about six weeks time BUT my old work keyboard suddenly came alive. Needless to say it went home with me, since the Company brought in new items to replace the "Damaged" gear ;) .

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Mar 2018, 14:16

Iggy wrote: There is some mighty contributions in here. That wooden keyboard looks actually nice, though.
Somehow I had expected that kind of answer :lol:

Iggy

22 Mar 2018, 14:34

kbdfr wrote:
Iggy wrote: There is some mighty contributions in here. That wooden keyboard looks actually nice, though.
Somehow I had expected that kind of answer :lol:
:lol:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Mar 2018, 14:45

Let's not forget the Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Mar 2018, 15:25

Blaise170 wrote: Let's not forget the Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E.

I can't believe that this 260€ retail price piece of hooker turd actually comes as a RUBBERDOME and they decided to make it a rubberdome for better backlight support.

Also it registers as FIVE devices via USB but - being a membrane asswhipe, lacks anti-ghosting and proper rollover. Advertised as "up to 7 simultaneous keypresses" they managed to get into ghosting with just 4 keypresses in some test I just checked out. Mad Catz went bancrupt for a reason ... this is just a shitty cash grab piece of contaminated trash. I would rather type on used needles found in a crackhouse than on this keyboard. Just reading the article about this keyboard made me throw up three times. The last time i felt so violated was when I was watching the EMOJI movie.

It might not win the contest for ugliest keyboard but this has got to be the biggest garden gnome of a keyboard to ever be forcefully hammered into a "gamers" unsuspecting anus.

davkol

22 Mar 2018, 16:19

I actually considered buying the Mad Catz STRIKE monstrosity for the lulz. On sale, after it dropped from €300 to barely €100, of course.

There were worse things in that product line anyway, such as the portable model:

Return to “Keyboards”