DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

23 Mar 2018, 00:26

This thread is painful.

Elrick

23 Mar 2018, 00:58

DustGod wrote: This thread is painful.
BUT it's necessary ;) .

What would be the point if WE here on DT only show the loveliness of true Mechanical Keyboards, if we didn't show the abject opposite of what we all despise.

Just like the concept of Yin and Yang you need to show BOTH sides of the Keyboard spectrum, so we can better appreciate our own personal choices.

Every time I see another LED Vegas-styled Keyboard, I hug my IBMs, Dells, OminKey's and Wang's just that little more.

Darkshado

23 Mar 2018, 05:11

Anyone still have photos of berserkfan's dye jobs? I recall there being some monstrosities in there.
Spoiler:
Disclaimer: I would not mind one bit if that bastard got hit by a bus after what he did. :evil:

RealityCavesIn

23 Mar 2018, 09:39

Does this Filco SMK-8851 qualify? :)
Attachments
Filcosaurus.jpg
Filcosaurus.jpg (123.88 KiB) Viewed 6432 times

Brett MacK

23 Mar 2018, 12:04

RealityCavesIn wrote: Does this Filco SMK-8851 qualify? :)
Wow that is just cool. I think I would have to talk myself out of buying that.

depletedvespene

23 Mar 2018, 12:16

It's bad, but not that bad, given what we've seen so far. And, given it's obviously meant for kids, I'd even say it's a bit muted.

Actually, I have more issues with the terrible layout than the aesthetics. :D

Khers

23 Mar 2018, 13:05

Darkshado wrote: Anyone still have photos of berserkfan's dye jobs? I recall there being some monstrosities in there.
Spoiler:
Disclaimer: I would not mind one bit if that bastard got hit by a bus after what he did. :evil:
Unfortunately not, but those must be some of the worst mods done to anything ever. He offered me one in addition to something else I ordered, but I declined.

While I never got what I ordered from him (thank you very much mr. cuntfan), I've seen some of his quality mods first hand when some other people's stuff showed up at my door instead of my own. Among these things were a modded ruined IBM XT keyboard (sorry, I don't have any good picture of it other than the one below).
Spoiler:
He seemed to have decided to paint the barrelplate of the keyboard, but decided that it was too difficult to disassemble so instead just gone at it with a brush, no masking required. The barrel plate was painted. The barrels were painted. He'd managed to paint some parts of the case. All in all, it was a mess, done with the finesse of a distracted two-year-old.

That he demanded more money for the modded ruined things in his sale than he did for the stock items is mind boggling and begs the question: is he blind, stupid or did he just see an opportunity and went for it?

Having said that; after seeing the stuff he was capable of when painting a keyboard, I'm not at all surprised by the complete incompetence and negligence he had on display for his sale. While it would be interesting to have him explain his side of the story, I'm glad the instances when I get reminded of Gutz are getting sparser.

Fuck you very much berserkfan.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2018, 13:32

Darkshado wrote: Anyone still have photos of berserkfan's dye jobs? I recall there being some monstrosities in there.

Can't agree more. Where's my $300 you singaporeon fuck? :x :x :x

anyway I think I have all his pics and a list of the stuff he had, as well as screenshots of our pm conversation (or lack thereof as the time ticked by) on a hard drive somewhere. some of his boards were truly disgusting looking.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 13:32

Wow that seems like so long ago now. Wonder whatever happened to him? I did find this, apparently dyed by him.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2018, 13:35

Blaise170 wrote: Wow that seems like so long ago now. Wonder whatever happened to him? I did find this, apparently dyed by him.

my keyboard, made as a semi shitpost for a 4th of july thread. these caps were indeed dyed by berserkfag. I still have the esc key kicking around somewhere.

RealityCavesIn

23 Mar 2018, 13:36

Brett MacK wrote:
Wow that is just cool. I think I would have to talk myself out of buying that.
It´s a bargain at about 40€ (not including shipping from japan though). Go for it :)
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f260710330

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Mar 2018, 13:38

mike52787 wrote: my keyboard, made as a semi shitpost for a 4th of july thread. these caps were indeed dyed by berserkfag. I still have the esc key kicking around somewhere.
Surely you could have done better than that.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 13:39

Aren't those keycaps exceptionally tiny though? I thought they were like 2/3 normal size.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2018, 13:40

Blaise170 wrote: Aren't those keycaps exceptionally tiny though? I thought they were like 2/3 normal size.
I believe you are thinking of the datadesk littlefingers range, pretty sure mr dino there is normal.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 13:46

mike52787 wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Aren't those keycaps exceptionally tiny though? I thought they were like 2/3 normal size.
I believe you are thinking of the datadesk littlefingers range, pretty sure mr dino there is normal.
Yes both of these (as well as many others I've found in Japan) were made by Strong Man though, so I'm pretty sure that these are actually the same keyboards, just rebranded.

Drclick

23 Mar 2018, 14:58

Wodan wrote: Did anyone save a link to that molested MX5000?
this one?

Spoiler:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 15:03

I found this on another thread and I don't think you can find a keyboard any uglier.

TuxKey
LLAP

23 Mar 2018, 15:10

Oh my god that’s amazing.. I would have never thought it possible to literally put everything i don’t like in one single keyboard..
Amazing..
Even the less obvious like not liking a low profile case after having tried a highish quality one..
And to boot the fixed cable hahahha

I’m really doing my best to find something positive about it..
Wait i have it !! its ok (if you can ignore that ugly font) for working in the dark !!
for a full size board it’s relatively compact haha.. for me anything above a FC660M/C is considered big..

TuxKey
LLAP

23 Mar 2018, 15:15

III wrote: Image

looks like the K-type hahha.. i returned mine.. :lol:
one thing that board showed me ..was that i don't like low-profile keybards ..ever ..ahaha And that even TKL is to much of a waist of space nothing beats my FC660C/M a tad bigger is ok but let's stay under the TKL size.. ;)
Top F-row not needed, something like this would be ideal..
Spoiler:
Z70_compatible_with_lots_of_keycapsets
Z70_compatible_with_lots_of_keycapsets
Z70_ANSI_2.0_2.25_makkelijker_keyset_vindbaar.png (34.28 KiB) Viewed 6257 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 15:32

Flames not included.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2018, 15:42

webwit wrote:
mike52787 wrote: my keyboard, made as a semi shitpost for a 4th of july thread. these caps were indeed dyed by berserkfag. I still have the esc key kicking around somewhere.
Spoiler:
I really want this case... but no thanks on the caps

green-squid

23 Mar 2018, 15:58

Whaat? Those caps are amazing!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 15:58

You know, I don't actually think the caps are that bad. If they had done two-tone or maybe even three-tone it could've looked nice, e.g. purple modifiers with blue alphas.

Khers

23 Mar 2018, 16:03

mike52787 wrote:
webwit wrote:

https://webwit.nl/input/keycaps/colored5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0yZz8m4.jpg
I really want this case... but no thanks on the caps
A GMK Handarbeit repro would be an instabuy!

hansichen

23 Mar 2018, 16:04

The caps itself are amazing, the colors are just shit, that's the problem. And the logo on these cases is pretty bad too

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 Mar 2018, 16:09

Blaise170 wrote: I found this on another thread and I don't think you can find a keyboard any uglier.

I..... wha - ....

さすが日本

Dingster

23 Mar 2018, 16:14

Blaise170 wrote: Flames not included.

Not a mech sadly :(
I mean how do you even use that haha

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2018, 16:30

green-squid wrote: Whaat? Those caps are amazing!
if you like clashing colors they are

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 16:34

mike52787 wrote:
green-squid wrote: Whaat? Those caps are amazing!
if you like clashing colors they are

davkol

23 Mar 2018, 20:11

//gainsborough wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: I found this on another thread and I don't think you can find a keyboard any uglier.

I..... wha - ....

さすが日本
Brought to you by Deskthority Awards 2014. #dta2014

Return to “Keyboards”