Help me choose a new mechanical Keyboard please!

opel65

13 Apr 2018, 22:27

Hello, I've been using a Steelseries 6GV2 for past 2 years but recently two switches began to fail to register every time which is extremely bothering. I though it's time for an upgrade so I wanted to ask here if You could help me choose.
A few guidelines of mine:

= budget: 250 USD
= preferred switches: Both Black and Brown are fine, either Cherry or Kailh
= hand size: normal sized male hands (I guess)
= what is the keyboard used for?: 90% gaming, 10% typing
= What kind of lighting?: I prefer one-color key lighting, Optimally blue light, RGB is fine too as I can just set it to a single color. Red lighting i'd rather like to avoid.
= Software - I don't do macros but if it's included I won't mind
= Design - I really like simplistic design and small frame of the 6GV2, it has grown on me and I'd really like something similar
= Size - I'd like a full-key keyboard, no tenkeyless please

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Laser
emacs -nw

13 Apr 2018, 22:50

opel65

13 Apr 2018, 22:56

Laser wrote: This would fit the bill & specs: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Ma ... B01D3BDN60
Funny, I actually was looking into this one before. Do you have any info on cooler master keyboards in general? Are they worth the buck?

Laser
emacs -nw

13 Apr 2018, 23:02

AFAIK, they are better than what you usually see in most European stores. I'm not expert on this, but I think they started to get "good" some years ago with the CM Storm Rapid TKL keyboard, which was compared at the time with the Filco TKL (same-ish quality, better price). And I think from that moment on, they only got better. They also had a Topre keyboard (the "Novatouch", now discontinued) which is quite sought after. BTW, if you think you'd like Topre keyboards, your budget is pretty close to a Realforce RGB: http://www.realforce.co.jp/en/products/realforce_rgb/

opel65

13 Apr 2018, 23:23

Laser wrote: AFAIK, they are better than what you usually see in most European stores. I'm not expert on this, but I think they started to get "good" some years ago with the CM Storm Rapid TKL keyboard, which was compared at the time with the Filco TKL (same-ish quality, better price). And I think from that moment on, they only got better. They also had a Topre keyboard (the "Novatouch", now discontinued) which is quite sought after. BTW, if you think you'd like Topre keyboards, your budget is pretty close to a Realforce RGB: http://www.realforce.co.jp/en/products/realforce_rgb/
Sounds good, I'll do some reading on it right away!

zool

14 Apr 2018, 02:27

if you like your board, you could also spend some of the budget on some hot tools and some new switches?

grasshopper

15 Apr 2018, 18:41

Are you flexible over the switches?

The reason I ask is because the Steelseries Apex M500 ticks all of your boxes apart from the switch type.

I bought one with red switches a few days ago for £60 (~85 USD) which I thought was a bargain. And so far, I'm really liking it. It's extremely well made, and unlike the 6GV2 it comes with a standard ISO or ANSI layout. So it's relatively easy to swap out the keycaps (which I've already done).

The only real downside is that the cable is non-detachable. But that wasn't a dealbreaker for me.

If the M500 is too expensive where you live then Steelseries also sell the M400 model. As far as I can tell, this is exactly the same keyboard except that it uses cherry clone switches, and is considerably cheaper.

Return to “Keyboards”