Another guy on reddit selling a Wingnut (for $10.000 ?!?!?!?!!!)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Apr 2018, 15:44

Plastic, not sure what kind webwit would know. Mine feels like plastic.

chzel

19 Apr 2018, 15:46

They should be some kind of castable epoxy resin.

seebart

19 Apr 2018, 15:47

chzel wrote: They should be some kind of castable epoxy resin.
OK, I could not tell you. Pretty solid though for such a little piece. Here are lot_lizards:
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG (614.7 KiB) Viewed 5685 times

cookie

19 Apr 2018, 17:39

That guys is a disgrace, hurts to see that. But yeah... everyone has it's price.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

19 Apr 2018, 19:34

As special as one of these are... I can't say I'd decline an offer of $10,000. It would be immensely more useful than a piece of plastic when it comes to paying off debts. :|

green-squid

19 Apr 2018, 19:40

Blaise170 wrote: As special as one of these are... I can't say I'd decline an offer of $10,000. It would be immensely more useful than a piece of plastic when it comes to paying off debts. :|
You can already 3D print a small house for $11K in a day! :o I will take a house over a single piece of plastic any day

seebart

19 Apr 2018, 19:43

But the 3D printed wingnuts will not look 100% like the original that is hand-made if I recall.

green-squid

19 Apr 2018, 19:46

seebart wrote: But the 3D printed wingnuts will not look 100% like the original that is hand-made if I recall.
The comment was about the fact that you can 3D print a house for almost the same price as this tool was trying to sell the wingnut for.

seebart

19 Apr 2018, 19:51

Sure, but who wants to live in 3D printed house?

green-squid

19 Apr 2018, 19:52

seebart wrote: Sure, but who wants to live in 3D printed house?
Watch the video, and I'm sure you would! ;)

skip ahead a minute and a half

seebart

19 Apr 2018, 19:54

Yeah OK it does look pretty nice. I bet that technology will really take off in coming years.

green-squid

19 Apr 2018, 20:00

seebart wrote: Yeah OK it does look pretty nice. I bet that technology will really take off in coming years.
Yeah! It's so cool. It's already way better than those american houses that always get destroyed by hurricanes. You know, those thin walled ones that everyone has!

Dingster

19 Apr 2018, 20:03

green-squid wrote:
seebart wrote: Yeah OK it does look pretty nice. I bet that technology will really take off in coming years.
Yeah! It's so cool. It's already way better than those american houses that always get destroyed by hurricanes. You know, those thin walled ones that everyone has!
Drywall panels are what most houses use, Ive worked with it before, and it really isnt suitable for anything else other than some inner walls (IMO) and even that is a little iffy. Think of it as plaster in between two "cardboard" sheets. Fun fact, to get your desirable shape you cut it with a knife :lol:

seebart

19 Apr 2018, 20:07

Well here we still build the houses the good-old way. No 3d printed houses here.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

19 Apr 2018, 20:37

It doesn't really matter what your house is made out of, unless you are living in a steel conic structure, you are going to have a bad time with a hurricane.

green-squid

19 Apr 2018, 20:46

I don't know why they haven't been building better hurricane-proof houses in the affected areas. Are they just building the exact same houses and expecting different results? Or is it cheaper to build a house every time a hurricane knocks it down?

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

19 Apr 2018, 20:49

I live in florida and was just in the path of irma when it was category 3, my house and my entire neighborhood suffered no damage. The effects of hurricanes are highly exaggerated usually, mainly for sensationalized news coverage. Here (where hurricanes actually happen) most houses are made of concrete block, with thick storm rated windows. I dont know where the US "cardboard house" meme came from but from personal experience I can say it is unfounded.

green-squid

19 Apr 2018, 20:51

mike52787 wrote: I live in florida and was just in the path of irma when it was category 3, my house and my entire neighborhood suffered no damage. The effects of hurricanes are highly exaggerated usually, mainly for sensationalized news coverage. Here (where hurricanes actually happen) most houses are made of concrete block, with thick storm rated windows. I dont know where the US "cardboard house" meme came from but from personal experience I can say it is unfounded.
Oh okay! So it's not that bad. Still, it's always good to make progress (like this 3D printed house). If this house had a second floor, it would be perfect for me!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

19 Apr 2018, 20:57

No, Florida actually passed laws back in 1992 that buildings had to be designed better to cope with hurricanes. But here's the thing: If you take Hurricane Irma that hit Florida this year, you are looking at peak wind speeds of over 180MPH (~300KM/h). Anything that gets picked up by the wind now becomes an extremely dangerous flying projectile which can destroy just about anything in its path.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

19 Apr 2018, 21:04

Blaise170 wrote: No, Florida actually passed laws back in 1992 that buildings had to be designed better to cope with hurricanes. But here's the thing: If you take Hurricane Irma that hit Florida this year, you are looking at peak wind speeds of over 180MPH (~300KM/h). Anything that gets picked up by the wind now becomes an extremely dangerous flying projectile which can destroy just about anything in its path.
quite true, the reason we cover windows and doors with boards during the storm is not because of the high winds, but because of flying debris. if a window or door is compromised by something picked up by the wind, often times the wind will tear the roof off of the house due to the pressure from the wind inside.

green-squid

19 Apr 2018, 21:12

Blaise170 wrote: No, Florida actually passed laws back in 1992 that buildings had to be designed better to cope with hurricanes. But here's the thing: If you take Hurricane Irma that hit Florida this year, you are looking at peak wind speeds of over 180MPH (~300KM/h). Anything that gets picked up by the wind now becomes an extremely dangerous flying projectile which can destroy just about anything in its path.

I would still not move to florida due to the overly hot weather and the natural disasters that will get worse and worse with climate change.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

19 Apr 2018, 21:18

green-squid wrote:

I would still not move to florida due to the overly hot weather and the natural disasters that will get worse and worse with climate change.
Yeah, florida fucking sucks. dont come here.

Menuhin

19 Apr 2018, 22:53

seebart wrote:
chzel wrote: They should be some kind of castable epoxy resin.
OK, I could not tell you. Pretty solid though for such a little piece. Here are lot_lizards:
IMG_0734.JPG
These Wingnut award caps totally look like made of metal from the details of its casting, and from the shine and texture.
Good choice of resin, and competent casting techniques, plus good choice of color / paint.

Solid proof of DT having the technical know-how of casting custom caps, if there is a need for that.

Menuhin

19 Apr 2018, 23:04

Just found out there were 18 Nobel Prize previously auctioned off.

https://coinweek.com/coins/medals-and-t ... -auctions/

That's logical, warmongers could become Peace Prize Laureates, and the Literature prize also totally depends on the nominee's political stance. 18-karat gold is the real deal though.

chzel

19 Apr 2018, 23:36

Menuhin wrote: These Wingnut award caps totally look like made of metal from the details of its casting, and from the shine and texture.
Good choice of resin, and competent casting techniques, plus good choice of color / paint.

Solid proof of DT having the technical know-how of casting custom caps, if there is a need for that.
They are not DT-made, someone with probably the best know-how in the game is responsible for them... ;)

pr0ximity

19 Apr 2018, 23:43

chzel wrote:
Menuhin wrote: These Wingnut award caps totally look like made of metal from the details of its casting, and from the shine and texture.

They are not DT-made, someone with probably the best know-how in the game is responsible for them... ;)
And perhaps the most mysterious origins, materials, techniques, and experience.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Apr 2018, 00:17

In regards to a Grammy or Nobel Prize, some people collect them like we collect keyboards. Hard for me to pass judgement without knowing the circumstance.

Menuhin

20 Apr 2018, 01:25

chzel wrote:

To name just one tiny case:
They run the game so well that, for example, Al Gore ended up having so much money to buy an 8+ million Miami beach-side ocean view villa, to top his Tennessee luxurious mansion that consume energy 21 times more than an average US home. Not to mention all the private / corporate jet hypocrisy of him and his Hollywood minions.
Obviously they scare and alarm the shxt out of people, but they themselves are quite relaxed about their own "predictions" and don't actually give a dime.

An average US home already consumes way more energy than most homes in the world, e.g. an average home in Germany. People are dressing up more like winter INDOOR in Germany, and to my experience, many US homes are like summer indoor during the winter.

chzel

20 Apr 2018, 01:36

What does Al Gore and his Miami villa have to do with who makes our wingnuts??? Did I miss something?

Menuhin

20 Apr 2018, 01:51

chzel wrote: What does Al Gore and his Miami villa have to do with who makes our wingnuts??? Did I miss something?
Some of us (actually I) argue that the Wingnuts from DT can well be a fairer and honorable prize when compared to some (but not all) of the Nobel Prizes. But we cannot rule out the possibility that recipients of Wingnuts may reach the level of Einstein in the future.

Return to “Keyboards”