How do I access the alt gr function on my 60% mantistek

peat

29 Apr 2018, 14:13

I bought a mantistek gk-3. Despite all the negative criticism due to its sneaky software, I actually find this keyboard great. Typing experience is superb. Personally, I don't trust binary blobs to run on my computer, specially not those bundled as freeware in cheap hardware, so please, let's not focus on this.

I can't for the love of my type 'alt gr'. The right alt key is accessed by pressing the Fn modifier as its primary function is Left arrow. But if I press Fn+RighAlt+Other key, I get the second function of that other key, as if I would be pressing only Fn+Other Key.
There must be some trick that I am missing. The manual didn't cover this. Can anybody help? How do I type, say, the curly a, or the euro symbol?

Slom

29 Apr 2018, 22:15

Here, me, here ... I know it :)

Try Control + Left Alt, that works for me though I dont know whether it is Windows specific.

peat

30 Apr 2018, 02:03

It doesn't work for me on linux :(... If I lock the second function by pressing Fn+Left Ctrl, I can insert, the euro symbol. But none of the other symbols usually accessible through the Alt Gr modified appear to work. Is this just not possible with the default configuration on linux?

EDIT: I Sort of found it. Besides locking the second function, there appears to be another mode that activates the second function for the arrow keys only. While in that mode, I can press Right Alt + Fn + the key I want and access the third key function.

davkol

30 Apr 2018, 11:02

Wouldn't it be worth enabling and getting used to the Compose key instead?

Findecanor

30 Apr 2018, 12:49

If the problem is that the keyboard itself is sending the wrong key code, then you have one fewer keys than you should have. Giving up yet another key would then be backwards, in my view.

peat: Have you tried running xev and seen what is output when you press the right Alt.
You could perhaps remap the right Menu key to Alt Gr using xmodmap (or in keyboard settings if you use Mate/Gnome).

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Apr 2018, 14:00

Difficulty accessing the AltGr function?
Obviously that's the price for reducing the number of keys of a keyboard.

One of these days* someone will conceive a keyboard with an "alpha" key giving access to a second level where you can select between "vocals" and "consonants", a "number" key giving access to a second level where you can select between "plain numbers" and "fractions", a "function" key giving access to a second level where...

Spoiler:
It probably already exists :lol:

peat

04 May 2018, 19:55

Ok, the trick I mentioned above works... but it doesn't solve all my problems.

This keyboard is build in such a way, that all the custom alternative functions it comes with (accessible through Fn modifier) are place in keys that would not normally have a third function. But that is for the american layout which I don't use. It looks like they avoided colitions between AltGr and Fn, because AltGr is achieved by pressing Fn+AltGr... but such colisions exist in the layout I use (portuguese), and in those cases, the alternative function gets activated instead of the third function.

This keyboard is excellent despite all the negativism. The switches (blue) have a great felling. They're probably the most comfortable I've typed on. But I am getting to the conclusion that, for a computer, programmer maybe a 60% keyboard is not the best choice. Specially if one doesn't use the US layout. Oh well.. I guess this is how one becomes a keyboard geed, by buying the next one and stashing up keyboards on the process...?

Which 82 key keyboard would you guys suggest? I'm not really looking for custom stuff, but I do want the joy of nice soft clicky blue switches.

Return to “Keyboards”