A proposal for an improvement on the Italian keyboard layout.

depletedvespene

02 May 2018, 16:49

First, a disclaimer: I am not Italian, but I did sing Italian songs while I was a kid (you don't want to know which ones, though). Now, with that out of the way...

As you know, I like to tinker with the logical layouts that exist on top of the keyboards' physical layouts, and I've made several custom ones for different needs. After doing a revamp of the French national layout, I focused my attention on the Italian one, with which it shares one of its most notorious design defects — the mixing of different accented letters on the base and Shift layers of a single key, making it impossible to type them in uppercase.
Problematic key asssignments in the Italian layout.
Problematic key asssignments in the Italian layout.
NuovItal.conflictos.png (55.51 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
I figured I could make an improved version of the Italian national layout that corrected this flaw and would better serve the modern needs of the country. The design had to fulfill the following criteria:
  • Eliminate the direct assignments of accented vowels (and Ç) in favor of two dead keys for the grave and the acute accents, freeing up space for other symbols.
  • Keep untouched most of the rest of the extant assignments.
  • The new assignments should be intuitive and easy to remember.
  • Keep it optimized for the Italian language first, THEN make accomodations for the particular needs of regional languages/dialects (Venetian, Sicilian, etc.) plus Maltese, THEN consider the languages of other neighboring countries (Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, etcetera).
  • Add the typographical symbols that are commonly used but aren't present on the extant layout, including the Italian Lira symbol (as opposed to the Sterling Pound symbol).
With that in mind, this is what I've come up with:
New Italian layout.
New Italian layout.
NuovItal.kle2.png (17.48 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
The symbols in green are those that already exist in the Italian layout but have been moved elsewhere; the symbols in blue are newly added in this layout; the dead keys are marked in red. The euro symbol (€) is marked in green to make note that now it's present ONLY on AltGr-E.

The main features are:
  • Besides Ç and the accented vowels, eight symbols have been moved elsewhere (°, @, §, `, #, ^, + and *); square brackets and braces remain in the same keys but have been moved out of the AltGr layers. All other extant assignments remain untouched.
  • The grave and acute accents are available as dead keys on the base layer in the home row. The same keys on the Shift layer sport the circumflex and the diaeresis diacritics, and breve and tilde on the AltGr layer. AltGr-minus contains a dead key for the macron diacritic.
  • Ç is now on AltGr-C.
  • All the vowel/diacritic combinations that some languages and dialects require are covered by the five main diacritic keys (the breve and the macron diacritics were included for writing in Latin). The extra consonants, ligatures and typographic symbols that are needed have assignments on the AltGr layer: Ḍ (Sicilian), Ł (Venetian), Æ (Franco-Provençal, French), Ċ, Ġ, Ħ and Ż (Maltese), ẞ (German), Ñ (Spanish), · (Catalan), etcetera. Note the presence of a long S as well.
  • This is an ISO layout, but a provision is made for ANSI keyboards, by having a secondary assignment for the characters <, >, ≤ and ≥.
Using MSKLC, I created the software driver to install this layout on a Windows-based PC; I've been testing it on my own and already have an Italian friend getting acquainted with it as well. Of course, it will be for the best if more Italians (and Maltese, too! And Swiss people as well!) try out this layout and give feedback.

EDIT: I've made a few adjustments to the layout and updated the graphics.
Last edited by depletedvespene on 10 May 2018, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 May 2018, 20:00

please let the italian layout burn in hell! (plot twist: I'm 100% italian).

depletedvespene

02 May 2018, 20:06

matt3o wrote: please let the italian layout burn in hell! (plot twist: I'm 100% italian).
But... but... not even trying to fix it first?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 May 2018, 21:00

just kidding. I'm all for fiddling with new layouts

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

02 May 2018, 22:39

The original Italian layout is... Challenged, in many regards.
I'm using this layout proposal. It's a bit early to really give an opinion, but everything is going smoothly for now. Adding diacritics through dedicated "Compose" keys is something I'm really not used to, so I need a little more time; nevertheless, my first impression is very positive.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

06 May 2018, 22:37

I'm continuing to use this: I find a bit hard to adapt to the dead keys, but that's only because I never used them before (and because both my Windows installation keep randomly defaulting back to the standard Italian layout for some weird reasons. Well, it's Windows after all.)

A sidenote: it has come to my mind that this layout could make typing in Italian on an ANSI board tollerable. It eliminates the problem of the unreachable "ù" key. Almost all my boards are ISO, I'll probably take out an ANSI board to test this in the next days.

depletedvespene

06 May 2018, 22:48

DustGod wrote: I'm continuing to use this: I find a bit hard to adapt to the dead keys, but that's only because I never used them before
That should get fixed by some more practice. :)
DustGod wrote: (and because both my Windows installation keep randomly defaulting back to the standard Italian layout for some weird reasons. Well, it's Windows after all.)
Make sure that in the Control Panel you have UNset all "quick access" key sequences. Windows is unsufferable otherwise.
Panel de Control y la RCSM.
Panel de Control y la RCSM.
sdteide.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 3934 times
DustGod wrote: A sidenote: it has come to my mind that this layout could make typing in Italian on an ANSI board tollerable. It eliminates the problem of the unreachable "ù" key. Almost all my boards are ISO, I'll probably take out an ANSI board to test this in the next days.
It better be! I did take special care to ANSI-shield this particular layout. :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 May 2018, 07:55

DustGod wrote: […] the problem of the unreachable "ù" key. […]

:?:

If you find the "ù" key to be "unreachable", then how do you cope with the Enter key?

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

07 May 2018, 09:41

kbdfr wrote: If you find the "ù" key to be "unreachable", then how do you cope with the Enter key?
The "ù" key is unreachable in ANSI.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 May 2018, 09:57

DustGod wrote:
kbdfr wrote: If you find the "ù" key to be "unreachable", then how do you cope with the Enter key?
The "ù" key is unreachable in ANSI.
Oh, I see, I had misunderstood your post.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

08 May 2018, 10:39

depletedvespene wrote:
Make sure that in the Control Panel you have UNset all "quick access" key sequences. Windows is unsufferable otherwise.
Couldn't find this specific setting, it must be hidden somewhere else on my version of Windows. I solved the problem by violently removing the default Italian layout.

depletedvespene

10 May 2018, 02:03

I've made a couple small adjustments to this layout and have declared it complete (for now, of course) and I've updated the initial post accordingly.

For those that are interested, you may now download it from its official page at http://www.farah.cl/DistribucionesDeTec ... al_en.html (a version of the page translated to Italian will be uploaded very soon).

codemonkeymike

10 May 2018, 03:12

You should totally add that to the wiki/Alternative_keyboard_layouts :)

depletedvespene

10 May 2018, 03:17

codemonkeymike wrote: You should totally add that to the wiki/Alternative_keyboard_layouts :)
Why? That page is about non-QWERTY layouts, and this one couldn't be more QWERTY if it tried. :mad:

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

10 May 2018, 09:56

But we could totally create a page for alternative logic layouts... ;)

depletedvespene

15 May 2018, 03:13

Return to “Keyboards”