Making Oval IBM Badges, White with Gold Text? Possible?

ShishHappens

06 May 2018, 00:57

Hi again,

Another IBM Model M oval badge related post

I'm building an FEXT at the moment and want something special to set it apart from all the other Model Ms out there just something subtle but a little flashy (as if the sound of model F internals isn't enough)

I've been looking into getting metal oval IBM badges made, but they could be quite costly and I feel like it would look out of place. So I had the idea of getting white ones made with shiny gold IBM font

Textiles aren't really my expertise so it would be great to get some pointers or advice

How would I go about doing this?

(I have decent CAD skills however if there is a place where I can find files for the badge done by someone who does that kinda thing for a living that would definitely be a plus)

Thanks

depletedvespene

06 May 2018, 13:07

Ask wobbled if he's still got some badges from this thread: group-buys-f50/ibm-model-m-replacement- ... 1-120.html

ShishHappens

06 May 2018, 13:20

depletedvespene wrote: Ask wobbled if he's still got some badges from this thread: group-buys-f50/ibm-model-m-replacement- ... 1-120.html
Cheers but I've already got one of the black ones for my industrial grey case, I'm looking specifically for something a bit more out there

chip chop

06 May 2018, 15:04

You colud get the oval laser cut out of brass or even gold and then have it over printed or sprayed with white, the template could be cut in vinyl by a sign maker (people who do vehicle decals etc)

Possible other option is have the IBM machined into the metal and then back fill the IBM part with a white enamel maybe?

ShishHappens

06 May 2018, 15:50

chip chop wrote: You colud get the oval laser cut out of brass or even gold and then have it over printed or sprayed with white, the template could be cut in vinyl by a sign maker (people who do vehicle decals etc)

Possible other option is have the IBM machined into the metal and then back fill the IBM part with a white enamel maybe?
Cheers I didn't think about that. I might have to have the IBM logo white then the rest of the badge like brass, that would be cool

chip chop

06 May 2018, 20:39

No probs, it sounds like a good project. I was thinking for fine work tolerances required for the IBM logo, I seem to remember that bespoke jewelry makers sometimes use fine tolerance CNC machines so that might be a option given it would be a one off and a hardcore enigneering firm might not be that interested in a small job.

ShishHappens

06 May 2018, 22:50

I couldn't find anything so I decided to just make the files

I made DXFs for both the square logo for the model F and also the oval logo for the model M, until I get a chance to get these cut I won't know they fit but I trust my digital calipers enough

Here it the link to the DXFs and also the part files for SolidWorks

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Here are previews of the files:

Square logo:

Oval logo:

tron

06 May 2018, 23:35

These look great :o I would love to make a few IBM patches for my beamspring dust covers (black anti-static cover with an IBM patch that matches the 3101 IBM badge).

Return to “Keyboards”