Recommended clicky vintage boards?

SpartanD63

12 May 2018, 18:55

I have this odd thing for vintage boards, but I'm not sure which I should get next.
I'm pretty familiar with the IBM side of things (I'm typing this on a Model F XT) and have quite a few buckling spring boards, as I love a clicky board, but I'm looking to get something a bit different. And while I do want a beam spring, I can't justify dropping so much on a keyboard.

Any suggestions for something rather inexpensive (no more than $100) to try?

Myoth

12 May 2018, 19:01

for less than 100usd, keep your money and enjoy your F, some people prefer Blue Alps and Beamspring but they don't come close to 100usd usually. I really don't see much of an upgrade if you're starting from Capacitive Buckling Spring :/ But that's for vintage stuff.

If you're willing to try out some new switches that are quite controversary (meaning that you might get disappointed) and don't mind modern keyboards, you might want to get a keyboard kit and try out the new Clickbar switches from Kailh. (Actually you could get a Wyse PCE and put those switches in it and you'd have a vintage board but I'm talking about the easiest way to try some out)

SpartanD63

12 May 2018, 19:12

Well, I suppose that the $100 is a bit wishful lol

That said, it's not so much looking for an upgrade, instead looking for something a little different to play with. I do have a modern MX board that I've been quite tempted to swap for those box switches, though it does have a lot less character than an old board IMO. I may try my hand at the Wyse route.

chip chop

12 May 2018, 20:14

If you are in the States something like a Zenith ZKB-2 or a Wang 725 might be worth a look, should get one for less than $100. Apple AEK is good but you would need to convert.

Thereminz

12 May 2018, 22:33

might be able to find some white alps board or clone for under $100

TheInverseKey

12 May 2018, 22:34

Hi-Tek Space Invaders if you can find a good clean one.

SpartanD63

14 May 2018, 02:11

I couldn't resist how gorgeous the Wyse boards are, so I just bought a PCE from ebay. It all came out to $90 shipped once I added in the soarer's converter from Orihalcon. I'll see how I like the MX Blacks it comes with (I've heard the vintage ones are better, but haven't tried them) and then consider swapping to a set of the Box Navy switches.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 May 2018, 02:28

SpartanD63 wrote:
I'll see how I like the MX Blacks it comes with
Huh? Black Cherry switches are linear.

SpartanD63

14 May 2018, 02:38

fohat wrote:
SpartanD63 wrote:
I'll see how I like the MX Blacks it comes with
Huh? Black Cherry switches are linear.
I know that they are, but I've heard that the vintage blacks are better than the new ones, so if there's any chance of me liking them at all, it'll probably be those, so I may as well give it a shot. But most likely I'll swap them out.

Elrick

14 May 2018, 03:39

SpartanD63 wrote: But most likely I'll swap them out.
Then install the BOX Navy switches, they are indeed "CLICKY" and well worth using.

Chyros has done that with one of his WYSE keyboards so just follow him....

SpartanD63

14 May 2018, 04:06

Elrick wrote: Then install the BOX Navy switches, they are indeed "CLICKY" and well worth using.

Chyros has done that with one of his WYSE keyboards so just follow him....
I'm not gonna lie, his video is part of what made me push the Wyse to the top of the list.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 16:33

I've had many WYSE boards over the years (in fact I once bought a bulk lot of 105 Wyse boards that I later sold to the community). They are good boards but they will require conversion with Soarer's in order to get them working on a modern machine. The layout can be a bit weird as well.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 May 2018, 16:51

SpartanD63 wrote: I have this odd thing for vintage boards, but I'm not sure which I should get next.
I'm pretty familiar with the IBM side of things (I'm typing this on a Model F XT) and have quite a few buckling spring boards, as I love a clicky board, but I'm looking to get something a bit different. And while I do want a beam spring, I can't justify dropping so much on a keyboard.

Any suggestions for something rather inexpensive (no more than $100) to try?
Well with the XT you already got one of the best F's, the AT is great also. How about an F122? Beamspring layouts are usually crazy unusable.

ramblinrose

14 May 2018, 17:18

White Alps in good shape may fit what you're looking for. Relatively stiff and very tactile with a nice click - not as smooth as blue alps but theyre a lot more affordable! Black Space invaders had a nice click too, although I didn't like the double click with every press.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 May 2018, 17:21

ramblinrose wrote: White Alps in good shape may fit what you're looking for. Relatively stiff and very tactile with a nice click - not as smooth as blue alps but theyre a lot more affordable! Black Space invaders had a nice click too, although I didn't like the double click with every press.
Very good point and a smart first post! Welcome to DT. :)

codemonkeymike

14 May 2018, 17:33

If you get a NOS Black Alps board, you can click mod them and they feel a hair better then Matias Clicky switches. Or if you already know you like Matias switches then you could get a dusty Alps board and swap out the switches. You can get a 200 pack of Matias clicky for about 35 (i think) so that would give you a budget of 65 for the old alps board.

THATGUY69

14 May 2018, 18:23

I have a northgate omnikey with white alps and it is pretty fantastic. That board might run around 120 usd, but it is one of the best alps chassis you can get. I mean, it doesn't hold a candle to the Model F XT, but I mean, what keyboard does? If you are just looking for a cheap alps board just to get a feel for the switch, I recently sold an NBT board on ebay for about 40 usd. It isn't a great feeling board, but it gives you an idea what the switches are like. The problem is you started off with probably one of the best keyboards ever built.

Elrick

15 May 2018, 03:48

ramblinrose wrote: White Alps in good shape may fit what you're looking for. Relatively stiff and very tactile with a nice click - not as smooth as blue alps but theyre a lot more affordable!
The White Alps can be re-tuned by cleaning the internal switch, replacing the internal spring and of course applying dry lube to the plastic stem of the switch.

You will get a highly usable switch after going through that procedure.

That is why I ALWAYS buy decent white Alps keyboards and if they are abused, you can actually clean and refresh them easily compared to most other keyboard switches.

SpartanD63

16 May 2018, 22:39

I got the board today. (Converter should be here Friday) And I'm actually kinda impressed. I thought people were exaggerating about vintage blacks, but they're actually really nice switches. (I still prefer tactile or clicky switches though)

Based on recommendations here though, I think that my keyboard cabinet is going to get a little full in the near future lol

Phenix
-p

17 May 2018, 00:51

SpartanD63 wrote:I got the board today. (Converter should be here Friday) And I'm actually kinda impressed. I thought people were exaggerating about vintage blacks, but they're actually really nice switches. (I still prefer tactile or clicky switches though)

Based on recommendations here though, I think that my keyboard cabinet is going to get a little full in the near future lol
and which tactile switch do you like the most?

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

SpartanD63

17 May 2018, 03:09

Phenix wrote: and which tactile switch do you like the most?

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk
So far, I'm liking Kailh Pro Purples (Zealio clone) a fair bit.

Elrick

17 May 2018, 06:51

SpartanD63 wrote: I think that my keyboard cabinet is going to get a little full in the near future lol
FORGET about any cabinet you shall end up with a Large shed to store most of your collection, when you continue this hobby throughout your life span.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 May 2018, 15:00

I used to have a bedroom full of keyboards, but over the years you learn that you don't really need 100+ just collecting dust.

depletedvespene

17 May 2018, 15:24

Blaise170 wrote: I used to have a bedroom full of keyboards, but over the years you learn that you don't really need 100+ just collecting dust.
That's why you wrap them in neat cardboard boxes! DUH!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ngThePoint

Return to “Keyboards”