The ideal Alps cases? :-|

mcmaxmcmc

24 May 2018, 21:34

Was thinking about making my own case for my 1st keyboard. (Cheap.) I searched around, and found out that some cheaper cases makes the switches sound deeper and better. I don't know what those characteristics are, so I'd like to ask. What types of cases makes the Alps switches better?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 May 2018, 21:36

That's completely subjective. What sounds better to you may sound worse to someone else.

codemonkeymike

24 May 2018, 22:15

A few people here are quite fond of the Nortgate Omni keyboards. They are quite solid and fairly roomy. Not sure how cheap they are but you may be able to get one for a discount if someone used one to harvest the switches from it.

Chyros

24 May 2018, 22:40

Personally, for Alps, I like roomy plastic cases. The ones that aren't super taut. They really amplify the noise, which is very delicious on Alps.

Elrick

25 May 2018, 05:41

codemonkeymike wrote: A few people here are quite fond of the Nortgate Omni keyboards. They are quite solid and fairly roomy.
Dell Big Foot's are also quite good mainly because you get a whole keyboard with a decent ANSI layout that can have the latest produced Alps key-caps, fully installed on them.

Plus they're dirt cheap, compared to anything with a NorthGate label on it ;) .

Also their sound is quite decent, just depends on how far you want to customize your switches to give loud clicky feedback or go completely linear.

codemonkeymike

25 May 2018, 20:37

Elrick wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: A few people here are quite fond of the Nortgate Omni keyboards. They are quite solid and fairly roomy.
Dell Big Foot's are also quite good mainly because you get a whole keyboard with a decent ANSI layout that can have the latest produced Alps key-caps, fully installed on them.

Plus they're dirt cheap, compared to anything with a NorthGate label on it ;) .

Also their sound is quite decent, just depends on how far you want to customize your switches to give loud clicky feedback or go completely linear.
Ah true, also I think you could use Tai-Hao caps

Menuhin

25 May 2018, 23:14

I like the Wang "Model 724" case, if you create a plastic case like Wang's that and in 60% or 75% (or even TKL version), I will definitely ask you to scale it up for a group buy.

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 May 2018, 04:34

codemonkeymike wrote:
also I think you could use Tai-Hao caps
Except for CapsLock and space bar.

Elrick

26 May 2018, 07:48

fohat wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote:
also I think you could use Tai-Hao caps
Except for CapsLock and space bar.
Well you can't have EVERYTHING in Life, but it comes so damn close ;) .

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

26 May 2018, 08:30

Menuhin wrote: I like the Wang "Model 724" case, if you create a plastic case like Wang's that and in 60% or 75% (or even TKL version), I will definitely ask you to scale it up for a group buy.
+1

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

26 May 2018, 09:20

I can recommend the Dell AT102W. It's one of those huge, beige, Model-M style, 100% keyboards from the past. I used one of them as my daily driver at work for about seven years and mine was completely reliable, despite being a dumpster rescue.

xtreg

26 May 2018, 09:34

I found it surprising no one recommended AEKs or AEKIIs thus far. The build quality is super and their PBT caps are first rate. Plus you have an (almost) ANSI layout. And they are usually cheap to get hold of. The only drawback I can think of is that you need an ABD adapter and cable combo for a modern computer, in addition to different homing keys, which can be easily adjusted by switching caps for touch typists.

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 May 2018, 15:46

xtreg wrote:
I found it surprising no one recommended AEKs or AEKIIs thus far.
Apples are just "weird"

The cases are heavy and sturdy, granted, but they are oddly shaped and the "legs" (lifting mechanisms) are quite clunky and peculiar to say the least. Removeable ADB sockets on the sides are strange, and have the effect of making the keyboard wider than it is.

You are right about the caps being the best Alps caps ever made, but the Apple cases were the worst component, in my opinion.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 May 2018, 15:50

leading edge dc-2014s have the absolute best resonant sound of any "cheapish" alps case I can think of. The layout is not great though.

Other than that I second the recommendation of the wang 724. That is also a very nice case.

If you want a nice deep sound I would shy away from anything with a metal backplate (northgate, zenith). Metal backed boards have a more high pitched and shallow typing sound to them, especially with clicky alps.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 May 2018, 15:53

fohat wrote: You are right about the caps being the best Alps caps ever made
Well that's a strong statement

If AT101 PBT, Tai Hao FAME, and any of the spherical sets didn't exist I would see your point

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 May 2018, 17:15

I think the NEC PC88 series had far better PBT dyesubs than anyone else by far.

Chyros

26 May 2018, 19:35

fohat wrote:
xtreg wrote: You are right about the caps being the best Alps caps ever made
Yeah, just no :p .

mcmaxmcmc

26 May 2018, 22:51

Just for more info, I might use Monterey switches for this keyboard, or rather, the MX mount one. It's easier to find caps that way. I might also hand-wire my keyboard.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

27 May 2018, 00:37

mcmaxmcmc wrote: Just for more info, I might use Monterey switches for this keyboard, or rather, the MX mount one. It's easier to find caps that way. I might also hand-wire my keyboard.
smk doesnt fit in alps plates, only mx plates. you have your pick of any mx board case if you go this route. even kustoms if you want to go crazy with money.

mcmaxmcmc

27 May 2018, 01:15

That's why I'm thinking of making my own case (and plate too). Montereys have similar characteristics as Alps clicky switches, so the ideal cases for both types of switches should have similar characteristics. I want to make a case that has those characteristics. (Plus if I ever want to make an Alps board, I can just make another plate for the case. I'm thinking of laser cutting the plates, so it won't be hard.)

xtreg

27 May 2018, 18:23

Monterey switches (I use blue ones daily) have such a different sound than Alps that I am just not sure if the case plays a similar role in their sound effect. For me, I ended up dampening the sound of Montereys with o-rings and I found they sound better that way.

Elrick

28 May 2018, 07:16

xtreg wrote: Monterey switches (I use blue ones daily) have such a different sound than Alps that I am just not sure if the case plays a similar role in their sound effect.
If you've got Blue Alps then why complain? They're decent switches in the Alps family that most here would kill for.
xtreg wrote: For me, I ended up dampening the sound of Montereys with o-rings and I found they sound better that way.
O-Rings on Alps switches..... what has this world come to :evil: . I bet your the sort of person who would actually put "O-Rings" on a Beamspring and think it's a Good Idea?

Clicky and loud switches is why they were created in the first place, hence enjoy them otherwise buy some cheapo membrane keyboard and savor the never ending silence :( .

xtreg

28 May 2018, 08:17

Elrick wrote:
xtreg wrote: Monterey switches (I use blue ones daily) have such a different sound than Alps that I am just not sure if the case plays a similar role in their sound effect.
If you've got Blue Alps then why complain? They're decent switches in the Alps family that most here would kill for.
xtreg wrote: For me, I ended up dampening the sound of Montereys with o-rings and I found they sound better that way.
O-Rings on Alps switches..... what has this world come to :evil: . I bet your the sort of person who would actually put "O-Rings" on a Beamspring and think it's a Good Idea?

Clicky and loud switches is why they were created in the first place, hence enjoy them otherwise buy some cheapo membrane keyboard and savor the never ending silence :( .
Take it easy, man! I meant I use Monterey blues daily. They do not sound as nice as blue Alps for sure, not even close. I don't know about others but I thoughts using O-Rings and lubing to change the sound of switches was a common practice. According to Chyros, Monterey blues are factory lubed. Moreover there is no reliable way that has been documented to open up the switch anyway so lubing is out of the question. I was then left with only other option I know of: O-Rings.

Elrick

28 May 2018, 10:04

xtreg wrote: Take it easy, man! I meant I use Monterey blues daily. They do not sound as nice as blue Alps for sure, not even close.
Never knew that there were TWO distinct Alps Blue Switches. So you think the Monterey's were the cheaper alternative?
xtreg wrote: I don't know about others but I thoughts using O-Rings and lubing to change the sound of switches was a common practice.
You could always use an aerosol lube (usually comes with a tiny plastic tube to be used on the nozzle) around the blue Alps shaft, to get inside the switch. Could be very messy but the whole internal switch would then be doused in lube and be significantly quiet (never done this myself).

You may be the first one to use O-Rings on an actual Alps based keyboard here 8-) .

ag36

28 May 2018, 18:03

How's filco compatible aluminium case with SMK tkl or KBP V80?

https://www.lfkeyboards.com/smk-tkl.html

xtreg

29 May 2018, 14:12

Elrick wrote:
xtreg wrote: Take it easy, man! I meant I use Monterey blues daily. They do not sound as nice as blue Alps for sure, not even close.
Never knew that there were TWO distinct Alps Blue Switches. So you think the Monterey's were the cheaper alternative?

No, Montereys are very different from blue alps: the feel, the sound, etc. Blue Alps' sound is superior to Monterey Blues but I actually prefer the typing feel of Monterey Blues. Then again, the condition of my blue Alps are not NOS and that could be the reason (my Montereys are NOS).
Elrick wrote:
xtreg wrote: I don't know about others but I thoughts using O-Rings and lubing to change the sound of switches was a common practice.
You could always use an aerosol lube (usually comes with a tiny plastic tube to be used on the nozzle) around the blue Alps shaft, to get inside the switch. Could be very messy but the whole internal switch would then be doused in lube and be significantly quiet (never done this myself).

You may be the first one to use O-Rings on an actual Alps based keyboard here 8-) .
I actually learned the trick of using O-Rings on Alps from these forums, so clearly I am not the first. In any case, thanks for the tip about aerosol lubing. I might try it someday, if I can get my hands on it.

mcmaxmcmc

04 Jun 2018, 11:09

I'm thinking of making a thin wooden case just to see the differences. I would like to know if anyone has already experimented with wooden cases so I don't have to make one myself.

Elrick

05 Jun 2018, 06:23

mcmaxmcmc wrote: I'm thinking of making a thin wooden case just to see the differences. I would like to know if anyone has already experimented with wooden cases so I don't have to make one myself.
If you want to cover your keyboard in -Wood, the safest alternative is Balsa Wood.

It's used throughout the modelling world in planes and other aircraft way back when I was a boy. Very light, easy to cut and glue onto other pieces of balsa and you can then paint it with any colour or texture.

You may even make it look like Walnut or Teak ;) .

mcmaxmcmc

05 Jun 2018, 07:18

Thanks for the recommendation!

codemonkeymike

05 Jun 2018, 19:43

To clear up the air, they are called SMK Gen 2 clicky switches collocially named Monterey Blue (Alps Mount) because of the keyboards they were found in and the blue color of the stem. Also all SMK 2nd Gen fit in cherry plates and AFAIK most(all?) of the keycaps that come along with them have Costar stabs (cherry compatible).

Edit: just read above mike52787 also cleared this up

Return to “Keyboards”