Say good-bye to Cherry Clears...?

keyboardlover

26 Feb 2011, 21:33

Better get these while you still can!
http://cgi.ebay.com/REFURBISHED-CHERRY- ... 439cc17a8f

He accepted my $45 offer. That's a lot of clear switches for $50. Great board to steal clears and doubleshots from!

microsoft windows

26 Feb 2011, 21:46

What's with the ISO Enter key on those?

keyboardlover

26 Feb 2011, 21:49

It's an ISO layout. Does that answer your question?

microsoft windows

26 Feb 2011, 22:04

No. Restating the obvious in a sarcastic way doesn't tend to be helpful.

But I was surprised to see the ISO enter key because it's a US-style keyboard. ISO usually finds its way onto European keyboards.

keyboardlover

26 Feb 2011, 22:26

There are plenty of US ISO keyboards. Keytronic has a ton of 'em. Your question "What's with the ISO Enter key on those?" wasn't very specific, so I answered as best I could.

microsoft windows

26 Feb 2011, 22:30

Oh. Sorry if I called your reply sarcastic then.

I've just never seen US ISO keyboards before.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Feb 2011, 22:32

keyboardlover wrote:Better get these while you still can!

He accepted my $45 offer. That's a lot of clear switches for $50. Great board to steal clears and doubleshots from!
Nice! Good tip!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 06:46

Good price on those. Doubleshots too!

Shame those boards weight so much, I would actually grab a few otherwise. Maybe I should look up on SAL shipping again... last time I used SAL it took like 6 months to arrive, literally.

keyboardlover

27 Feb 2011, 13:13

Nice, see YOU guys appreciate the value of that board. I posted about it on GH and everybody was like "Lolwut?"

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 13:24

Btw, When you get those Titanium springs from me, try putting them into clear switches and try to get your hands on some Ro59. Result is pretty awesome.

keyboardlover

27 Feb 2011, 13:32

Cool, will do! What's Ro59?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 13:35

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=14393

RO59 is apparently an American company, but the type you need for switches seems to be only sold in Japan, so I went through hasu and he helped me to get some (after he located those tiny bottles in a 100 yen shop). Since you are in the US, maybe just give RO59 a call and ask for "RO-59 KT". Maybe we can mass order a few gallons!

keyboardlover

27 Feb 2011, 13:39

Oh ok cool...good to know. I'll contact them :D

RiGS

27 Feb 2011, 14:11

AFAIK asians use RO-59tm KT.
I made a topic on lubing cherry mx switches in the workshop section.
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=251

microsoft windows

27 Feb 2011, 16:18

keyboardlover wrote:Nice, see YOU guys appreciate the value of that board. I posted about it on GH and everybody was like "Lolwut?"
120 keys, $45...that would go to about 37 cents every key switch, not to mention the double-shot keys as well.

I'd say it's not a bad deal at all.

keyboardlover

27 Feb 2011, 16:31

All they care about on GH is the damn Leopolds!

tjweir

27 Feb 2011, 18:31

kidchunks wrote:Time to start making them ghetto clears :P.
Excuse my ignorance, but how does one make ghetto clears? Browns with different springs?

keyboardlover

27 Feb 2011, 18:40

I believe it's a brown with the spring from a black switch, but I could be wrong...

Mrinterface

27 Feb 2011, 18:51

keyboardlover wrote:I believe it's a brown with the spring from a black switch, but I could be wrong...
I believe the spring from the black switch is not strong enough to emulate a cherry clear....

burr

27 Feb 2011, 20:04

I don't think it is possible to make ghetto clears, at least not with a spring swap.
ImageImage
Pictures from Qwerters clinic

tjweir

27 Feb 2011, 20:35

burr wrote:I don't think it is possible to make ghetto clears, at least not with a spring swap.
Boo-urns.

My hunt/wait continues.

kidchunks

28 Feb 2011, 01:25

Ahwell, I'll try out the ghetto clears and compare it with my g80-8113. I figured it wouldn't be an exact feel but hopefully its close.

@burr: Do you have a picture like the one you posted comparing black stems to red stems?

tjweir

28 Feb 2011, 01:47

kidchunks wrote:Ahwell, I'll try out the ghetto clears and compare it with my g80-8113. I figured it wouldn't be an exact feel but hopefully its close.

@burr: Do you have a picture like the one you posted comparing black stems to red stems?
I'd love to know how your experiment turns out.

ripster

28 Feb 2011, 02:47

Handy dandy spring/stem swap guide.
http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=127687&postcount=61

I carry a laminated version in my wallet.

burr

28 Feb 2011, 09:08

kidchunks wrote:@burr: Do you have a picture like the one you posted comparing black stems to red stems?
I got the pictures from here, and there are no reds on that page, so I'm afraid not.

chimborazo

03 Mar 2011, 19:45

sixty wrote:
webwit wrote:
keyboardlover wrote:Better get these while you still can!

Nice! Good tip!
Good price on those. Doubleshots too!
what? excellent tip if and only if you want to pay up to twenty or twenty five more dollars just f/ the switches. unless mine was modified, tampered w/, or swapped by/for - which it might have been - any board w/ g80-8113lcrus is likely to have clears. ebay member ncbound for instance has a board right at the moment w/ the same s/n ending in lcrus which comes w/ browns, or as the seller calls them: burgandy. he probably had a few drinks before listing the item. odd. a few weeks ago a similar board w/ same s/n may be found here

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0532029844 and oddly enough it has clear switches.

although any s/n w/ lrbus is a non-zero sum game here, im still waiting for the walkie talkie seller phone2go to reply to my email. at this point, he surely can keep two things. one is the board itself, for by the looks of it the seller can care less whether ebay hike the rates a notch for the privilege to have an online auction presence, and secondly, he surely can keep my email as a treasured memory, since im not planning to waste either a byte of my system or a neuron of my brain and blindly ask about the color of the switches anymore.

misinformed posts notwithstanding, since both ocn and gh recommendations, rampant throughout the internet after a search query - save the few posts by a handful of members - have been the kinds of hit-and-miss-look-under-the-keycap-for-me-jack, my best recommendation to anyone who is interested in used clear switches is to try the aforementioned boards ending in lcrus. until proved otherwise, any of those boards will have them.

keyboardlover

03 Mar 2011, 19:49

You can't trust cherry product codes. Period.

Ask them to pull a keycap. Also the board you linked to is overpriced and has lasered keys.
Last edited by keyboardlover on 03 Mar 2011, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Mar 2011, 19:53

More specifically: You can't trust Cherry USA product codes. The German ones were quite accurate even over decades!

But yeah, those big POS boards exist both in brown and clear variants - but with the same product code and even apparently from the same batch (going by serial numbers). Some are even stranger and have the F keys in clears and the rest browns or vice versa.

chimborazo

03 Mar 2011, 22:14

keyboardlover wrote:You can't trust cherry product codes. Period.

Ask them to pull a keycap. Also the board you linked to is overpriced and has lasered keys.
keyboardlover wrote:You can't trust cherry product codes. Period.

Ask them to pull a keycap. Also the board you linked to is overpriced and has layered keys.
gee. hehe. keyboardlover and his lightning fast responses. i appreciate your enthusiasm, but not so fast.

i agree. it is indeed overpriced, so what? human behavior has always been unpredictable. nothing new. it is in our genetic makeup. there may be a few more boards cheaper than the one you posted w/ the lcrus model or s/n. a quick search on ebay for the cherry mx8100 will prove it. doubleshots or not the switch is cheaper. arent we talking about used switches here, clear switches to be exact or keys? since the thread is about switches and not keycaps, you can’t have them both.

it is irrelevant to talk about what others would do when they just want to acquire a bunch of used or pre-owned clear switches- if it sounds better. it is a good move from the seller though (just like the brits recently did w/ their decision to introduce the filco on amazon. the competition increased and as a result ek had to reconsider its prices for their korean leopold demands as opposed to take some losses against the most sought-after and popular filco w next day prime shipping from amazon), who specifies the kind of switches in the first place and who is able, to attract a few more buyers in the process. a used switch is well... a used switch. unless i decide to order a deck, then the price is justified.

keyboardlover

03 Mar 2011, 22:22

I don't think EK decided their prices because of the Filcos. Leopold is just a better value. Filco can't compete.

Return to “Keyboards”