Say good-bye to Cherry Clears...?

YetAnotherDeveloper

16 Mar 2011, 19:08

sixty wrote:
calavera wrote:I have a modded clear switch keyboard and it feels similar to browns. But describing key strokes feel is very difficult.
I agree. I think the modded clears feel like what browns should have felt like. Not stiff but very tactile.

when you say modded what do you mean? did you swap out the spring for different ones? i'm in the process of doing a build with clears and would love some details...

JBert

17 Mar 2011, 21:02

I'm glad my G80-3000 LQCDE arrived. The retailer did tell this black model was going to be declared EOL, but did'nt add whether it was Cherry or the retailer deciding to do so.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Mar 2011, 21:04

I wouldn't be surprised if they phase out black boards in general at some point. Afterall those still use the thicker POS keycaps, so they can save some costs there if they stop making them. Freaking Cherry!

Lenny_Nero

17 Mar 2011, 21:33

I dont have any boards with Clears and apart from reds (which I dont think are so great and will not be getting unless they fall in my lap) they are the only Cherry switch I dont have, but am interested in trying.

That said I dont have a Deck in my collection ...

javifast

17 Mar 2011, 22:09

I have a cherry G80-3000 LQCDE with clears....perhaps I'll sell it...I'll tell you Lenny ;)

crowstar

17 Mar 2011, 23:05

I don't see where clears fit in to the cherry product line, they weren't very poular and don't have a unique selling point.

jnewkirk

18 Mar 2011, 06:06

Hmm... I'm kinda sad to see them go. The only experience I've had with them are a few individual switches I bought from Digi-Key.

I think I would like a keyboard with Clears. Clears seem to feel pretty similar to what a good membrane keyboard feels like. I like mechanical keyboards, but I havn't been able to find one I like. With the clears I'm betting I wouldn't have any problem adjusting to them. All the benefit of a mechanical switch without a drastic change in feel.

rockccf

18 Mar 2011, 11:19

I haven't tried any board with clears switch before.
Does it feel like brown switches?

arcanius

18 Mar 2011, 14:25

They're heavier, and you can actually feel the tactile bump very easily. Look at force graphs to get an idea.

Lenny_Nero

20 Mar 2011, 00:42

javifast wrote:I have a cherry G80-3000 LQCDE with clears....perhaps I'll sell it...I'll tell you Lenny ;)
All depends on the cost, ;) ...and if you want to let it go.
Its also a shame as I think I was down your way last week.

Ekaros

20 Mar 2011, 00:45

Got Clear Board too, 68€.

Now, I don't have to find one any more.

They are an intresting switch...

Best way I can describe is brown and then black, first the brown type feel and then bumb and black type feel.

JBert

20 Mar 2011, 00:50

Word, clears are the new reds - although more for buckling-spring and MX black lovers.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Mar 2011, 12:49

Changed my avatar based on that.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Mar 2011, 18:18

It works better if you replace Seeker of the Grail with Arrogant Guru.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Mar 2011, 18:25

yeah!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Mar 2011, 18:45

webwit wrote:It works better if you replace Seeker of the Grail with Arrogant Guru.
Btw, if you flip your duck today, it still kinda looks like a duck.

Hmmm...

Ekaros

26 Mar 2011, 23:58

Hmm,

Just checked:
Serial No: C 000545 X05

So my new board is made in 2011... Pretty new one for soon to be dead stuff...

runeazn

27 Mar 2011, 00:34

where can i get a cheap clear keyboard? before they get EOL, dont mind if its used and old.

Ekaros

27 Mar 2011, 00:45

runeazn wrote:where can i get a cheap clear keyboard? before they get EOL, dont mind if its used and old.
Depends what you mean by cheap ;D Had to pay 68€ for mine...

Browse interwebs, I heard there is these computer stores in germany which are on net?

keyboardlover

27 Mar 2011, 01:07

I'm getting one soon, might be willing to part with it...

IanM

27 Mar 2011, 09:23

These aren't going EOL? but there is still some kind of urgency to buy? I'm confused. Is it possible to change the thread title if the clears continue to be normally available from Cherry in Europe? sixty said this earlier in the thread, after contacting Cherry Corp, Germany:
sixty wrote:Received confirmation. Clears are discontinued in Asia, but remain available in Europe. MOQ is being raised to 20000 pieces.

mtl

27 Mar 2011, 23:26

YetAnotherDeveloper wrote:
sixty wrote:
calavera wrote:I have a modded clear switch keyboard and it feels similar to browns. But describing key strokes feel is very difficult.
I agree. I think the modded clears feel like what browns should have felt like. Not stiff but very tactile.

when you say modded what do you mean? did you swap out the spring for different ones? i'm in the process of doing a build with clears and would love some details...
I just finished modding a keyboard with clear stems and black springs. I would describe them as sixty describes his modified clears -- except I would add they feel like what browns AND clears should have felt like. :) They require less force than clears, but are stiffer and more pronounced bump than browns. Sorry if this is straying too far off topic.

olethros

31 Mar 2011, 22:20

Hm, discontinued, you say? That is probably why it took so long for the one I ordered to arrive. I also have a keyboard with cherry blacks, and I wanted something with a firm, but tactile feeling, and no clickety-click. The clears seemed ideal. I finally received the keyboard today and I am quite happy with it. I must admit though, that they cherry keycaps are not that great. They have quite a bit of play.

intealls

05 Apr 2011, 22:14

Had to get one as well (G80-3000 LQCDE-2), and I really like it. With my other boards (blues/browns and even blacks), I have to concentrate to not bottom out. With this one, it's the other way around, I seldom manage to bottom out the keys when typing normally. The clears require a bit more force to actuate than the blues, but in return I find the tactile feedback to be even more pronounced. Big thumbs up!

vyquad

24 Jan 2022, 02:51

eh, buckling springs were better anyway

Myoth

24 Jan 2022, 02:54

vyquad wrote:
how did you manage to necropost on a 11 years old thread?

hellothere

24 Jan 2022, 15:44

Myoth wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 02:54
vyquad wrote:
how did you manage to necropost on a 11 years old thread?
Easy. He replied to an 11-year-old thread. :P

While I don't usually necropost, an awful lot of the info I've needed comes from threads that are 5+ years old. Also, if you can say that what we most often talk about are keyboards from 1995 and earlier, there's no reason not to necro some posts.

Muirium
µ

24 Jan 2022, 17:42

True. Though quite what they were searching for which led them here, to say so little, to such ancient ghosts, is inherently mysterious.

Back on topic: we didn’t say goodbye to MX clears, did we? Still clu-clunking after all these years.

Bjerrk

24 Jan 2022, 19:14

It was fun to read all the worried posts predicting the demise of MX type switches, 3 years before the patent expired and the MX scene ballooned.

Muirium
µ

24 Jan 2022, 20:17

I also appreciate the henpecked complaints about Geekhack being full of tasteless Leopold fetishists, while nipping off to post there nevertheless! You can tell DT was a very young forum. It’s like Nexthority would be if people were leaving here over moderation hissy fits instead of an absent owner who, so far, still keeps on the lights.

Return to “Keyboards”