Say good-bye to Cherry Clears...?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Feb 2011, 11:28

When Cherry released their new catalogs earlier this year, I already noticed that the Clear Switch had disappeared. I did not think much of it, since the according G80-3000LQC series with clear switches is still listed on their website.

However, yesterday I heard from a friend that Cherry Asia has officially announced that they are phasing out the "soft tactile switches" aka Cherry Clears. I am still awaiting answer from Cherry Germany, but I am pretty sure it is as official as it gets. They were not wrong about the double-shot announcement back then either :(

I guess the last big batch went to Deck.

Minskleip

20 Feb 2011, 13:14

Oh, that sucks. If they didn't sell they could try the clear stems with different switches or something..

bugfix

20 Feb 2011, 13:31

Why are they discontinuing so much stuff? That can't be good for business.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Feb 2011, 13:40

On the opposite. Because the stuff is not good for business.

lootbag

20 Feb 2011, 13:45

It is a good thing to simplify the amount of switches they offer and cut down on costs.
Now, maybe I should go purchase a kb with Clears in them before they become hard to find.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Feb 2011, 13:50

lootbag wrote:It is a good thing to simplify the amount of switches they offer and cut down on costs.
Now, maybe I should go purchase a kb with Clears in them before they become hard to find.
The cool part is that they have also raised their MX costs by 25% for all mass orders in 2011.
Further more they have increased the delivery time from 30 days to 3 to 6 months depending on switch type.

2015 predictions? Image MX switches.

RiGS

20 Feb 2011, 13:51

Say good-bye to Cherry Corp. They basically discountinued all the good staff, and the distribution policy they follow also sucks. According to sixty the old stabilizers, cases, and mx black switches they used to make were better either.
Last edited by RiGS on 20 Feb 2011, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Feb 2011, 13:55

But don't you guys all go panic and buy all MX boards now. I have been told Costar alone has a MX switch stock to last two years of permanent production at the current rate.

So even in the worst case scenario this switch will be alive for quite a long time still :p

PS: I'm really not surprised to see them phase out clears - switches were so rare and barely anyone used them, and if they did they didn't like them too much usually.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

20 Feb 2011, 13:58

Maybe they will be able to concentrate on making switches that cannot be defeated by a single hair.

I thought the Clears werent that great anyway? Perhaps nothing of particular value was lost.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Feb 2011, 13:58

I think they are trying to copy the same lack of success Logitech had with their rubber domes.

Realism guys..

Although that does not necessarily mean it's over. There is the new demand from Taiwan. I bet Taiwan will eventually come up with its own switch though, I don't think they like to give money to the Germans just for the fun of it.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Feb 2011, 14:01

Actually I would not be surprised either if all the keyboard production goes to Cherry Asia at some point in time. After all they still did all the cool stuff like the reds and even ignored the death of double shots and produced boards for a few more months with left stock.

PS: Old clears with modded springs are pretty nice. I like them quite a lot. New ones are terrible.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

20 Feb 2011, 14:01

Bring back the Montereys or Alps Plate Springs. Surely someone can come up with a better clicky switch design than a 30-year old linear switch hacked with a silly free-moving slider?

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Feb 2011, 14:09

sixty wrote:Actually I would not be surprised either if all the keyboard production goes to Cherry Asia at some point in time. After all they still did all the cool stuff like the reds and even ignored the death of double shots and produced boards for a few more months with left stock.
Their factory part looked very promotional to me.. no mention of the Czech Republic, and as clean as a college student's room before the announced arrival of his parents. All high tech and looking very expensive, while the same type of production in Taiwan is now moved deeper into the mainland because Taiwanese labor is getting too expensive. It's not an iphone or camera. It's simple tech.

I bet they end up like the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam. They stopped making beer there many decades ago. Still looking good though.

keyboardlover

20 Feb 2011, 18:38

Clears are nice...I definitely like them better than browns. I hope they don't get rid of reds though, they are truly my favorite.

chimborazo

20 Feb 2011, 19:17

hello guys, i have no idea why cherry corp would do that. I did heed the advice by kl - after reading one of his reviews @ gh and got one of those. cheap though. i didn't want to go overboard w/ just a switch which i didn't know for sure whether i was going to keep it or not. surprisingly, kl was right. it probably is the only switch i like from cherry. now deck is the only one in town that carries it. a shame.

kl i read your response about the clears @ gh. i didn't reply right away, for i didn't have the board at the time. i'll post a reply over gh. take care.

Minskleip

20 Feb 2011, 23:04

At least we've got Unicomp ;)

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

21 Feb 2011, 00:03

Minskleip wrote:At least we've got Unicomp ;)
I'll drink to that one...

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Feb 2011, 00:15

With the new demand from trulyergonomic, surely Cherry will keep producing MX switches for many decades.

Minskleip

21 Feb 2011, 00:26

Yes, and they're even more ergonomic than the datahand! Amazing feat of engineering.

It's a long time before they can compete with Open Pandora though. I was going to use mine for my master thesis two years ago; time to change project lol

sixty
Gasbag Guru

21 Feb 2011, 00:38

I heard the new Unicomp mini keyboard will use buckling Cherry switches.

Pylon

21 Feb 2011, 06:40

Someone start a factory and restart Monterey production, or perhaps a revised white Alps design with a less wobbly slider design, better dust resistance, a lower tactile point (shouldn't be that hard to just move the tactile bend in the leaf down a mm), and redesign the actuation mechanism to be smoother.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

22 Feb 2011, 18:12

Received answer from Cherry US: They have no idea and want me to ask Cherry Germany. Good thing I am already ahead of their support there.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

23 Feb 2011, 18:43

Received confirmation. Clears are discontinued in Asia, but remain available in Europe. MOQ is being raised to 20000 pieces.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Feb 2011, 00:58

Sounds like a lot. But it's less than 200 full sized keyboards.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 07:21

Reds are now also available for MO from Cherry.
Interestingly it seems like they are expanding their catalog, while MOQ and delivery time is about doubled to quadrupled. Prices also have been raised.

Dunno if all of this is a good sign or a bad sign.

bugfix

25 Feb 2011, 09:37

Good sign because they're including more products which means they're not "downsizing". Bad sign for consumers who are interested in switches because you have to order more.

kidchunks

25 Feb 2011, 17:03

Time to start making them ghetto clears :P.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 20:51

bugfix wrote:Good sign because they're including more products which means they're not "downsizing". Bad sign for consumers who are interested in switches because you have to order more.
Well.. the delivery time went up to 6 months from like the previous 20 days or something. Quite a big difference. I am pretty sure its not because they are producing more switches now. That sounds more like they only turn on the machines every X days now.

microsoft windows

25 Feb 2011, 21:21

I hope they keep up making the MX switches. They very likely will on at least a lower level. There is a market for mechanical keyboards out there.

J888www

26 Feb 2011, 21:11

Not worried or bothered, all good things will eventually come to an end........ to make way for better things to come, I hope :|

Return to “Keyboards”