PS/2 to USB Active Adapter Typing Speed

apastuszak

28 May 2018, 05:20

I now have 2 IBM Model Ms from 1989 and a 2018 Unicomp Model M.

The first Model M I got off eBay and it came with no cable. I bought a great USB cable for it from eBay that orihalcon was selling. That cable works great.

The second Model M also came with no cable. But I tried to go "cheap" on the cable this time and instead ordered a PS/2 cable from Unicomp and then ordered an active adapter from eBay.

This is the exact adapter I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-PS-2-Ke ... 2749.l2649

I feel like there is a ever so slight delay in typing on this computer vs the other computer.

Other things that might contribute to this:

1. The keyboard is plugged into a USB 3.0 hub rather than directly into the PC.
2. The computer with the "faster" typing is running Windows 7, while the other one is running Windows 10.
3. The "slower" computer is older than the the "faster" computer

Will any of these items affect typing speed?

Elrick

28 May 2018, 07:06

apastuszak wrote: Other things that might contribute to this:

2. The computer with the "faster" typing is running Windows 7, while the other one is running Windows 10.

Suggest for you to go with a USB based keyboard for Windows 10 because even I hate using my 1986 Model-M on the latest v1803 atrocity, it's just so horridly SLOWWW.

BUT with any type of USB based keyboard the typing speed is really decent, even with a cheapo Dell, HP and Acer membrane keyboards. Hence now Redmond has cocked it's leg upon us old ATA and PS/2 connection keyboard users.

Also happen to ALWAYS buy new PS/2 enabled motherboards with those connections, regardless of the VRM and other features on board. Could never hand over any money for an ALL usb-based motherboard, it's not in my DNA to do that.

Darkshado

28 May 2018, 07:10

Get a "blue cube" adapter if you want a cheap active PS/2 to USB converter.

USB hubs shouldn't impact keyboard latency in a human perceptible manner.

Did you try swapping keyboards and cables around?

Last but not least: depending on where you're typing, Office 2013 onwards has this IMHO super annoying typing animation. It can be disabled with a fairly simple registry edit.

Regards,

Darkshado

apastuszak

28 May 2018, 16:18

Elrick wrote:
apastuszak wrote: Other things that might contribute to this:

Suggest for you to go with a USB based keyboard for Windows 10 because even I hate using my 1986 Model-M on the latest v1803 atrocity, it's just so horridly SLOWWW.

BUT with any type of USB based keyboard the typing speed is really decent, even with a cheapo Dell, HP and Acer membrane keyboards. Hence now Redmond has cocked it's leg upon us old ATA and PS/2 connection keyboard users.

Also happen to ALWAYS buy new PS/2 enabled motherboards with those connections, regardless of the VRM and other features on board. Could never hand over any money for an ALL usb-based motherboard, it's not in my DNA to do that.
They make PS/2 PCI cards. That MIGHT be worth a try. I have a Unicomp that's USB. I'll give that a try and see if it types any better.

apastuszak

28 May 2018, 16:23

Darkshado wrote: Get a "blue cube" adapter if you want a cheap active PS/2 to USB converter.

USB hubs shouldn't impact keyboard latency in a human perceptible manner.

Did you try swapping keyboards and cables around?

Last but not least: depending on where you're typing, Office 2013 onwards has this IMHO super annoying typing animation. It can be disabled with a fairly simple registry edit.

Regards,

Darkshado
The blue cube adapters were significantly more than this one. But since I have this one, and it works, I can probably order a blue cube cheap from China and just wait for it.

I can't swap cables easily, because I cable managed it. But when the Unicomp cable came in, I tried it out on the Windows 7 machine and didn't notice any speed issues.

I removed Microsoft Office from all my computers and use LibreOffice exclusively. The typing "lag" I was experiencing across the whole operating system.

apastuszak

04 Apr 2019, 03:38

Nothing like waiting almost a year before adding to my thread. I ordered an SDL to USB cable off of eBay over the weekend, and it arrived today. Removed the PS/2 cable and active adapter, plugged this baby in and ALL the lag is gone.

Does it type as fast as a modern USB keyboard? I don't know. My typing speed is not fast enough to notice a difference.

But taking the adapter out and switching to orihalcon's cable more than doubled the typing speed when I fire up Notepad++ up and just hold down the space bar down for 10 seconds and then hold down backspace.

It looks like the "blue cube" adapters have been discontinued, so I won't get the chance to try one of those out.

Telstar

04 Apr 2019, 12:09

I have one of those Chinese adapters because I didn't know there were better cables around for my model M. If it lags or stops working, I'll try to find orihalcon's cables.
intel z390 USB3 port and w10 1809 here.

apastuszak

04 Apr 2019, 13:25

The other problem the adapter gave my kids is NO key rollover. I bought the keyboard for typing. but my kids game on the PC. The Model M is supposed to have 2 key rollover. MY kids aren't even getting that.

swampangel

04 Apr 2019, 14:23

I've used these trendnet adapters and they're noticeably better for gaming than the cheap ones. https://www.trendnet.com/store/products ... ers/TU-PS2

I think they're discontinued too but you might still find them on amazon or similar.

apastuszak

04 Apr 2019, 14:44

I'm trying to find a used "blue cube" and not having a lot of luck. Right now I am good, since both keyboards have orihalcon's cables on them. But if I ever get a Model M that does not have a removable cable, then I'd be in trouble. Of course, I can always buy a Unicomp also.

Laser
emacs -nw

04 Apr 2019, 16:46

Use a Pro Micro with Hasu's ps2usb converter firmware?

Telstar

12 Apr 2019, 23:10

Telstar wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:09
I have one of those Chinese adapters because I didn't know there were better cables around for my model M. If it lags or stops working, I'll try to find orihalcon's cables.
intel z390 USB3 port and w10 1809 here.
It has an occasional bug when i type too fast: one key "chatter" like 10 times. I'll get the "smart" cable once I put my keeb on the bench for cleaning and lubing.

Return to “Keyboards”