Let's make the worst layout ever!

Chyros

16 Apr 2019, 19:59

davkol wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 19:11
The "matrix" layout in TypeMatrix solves one specific problem: being fundamentally symmetrical, it makes both human hands make the same (mirrored) motions, as opposed to different motions on the standard layout with inconsistently offset rows.
That's fair enough, but it's also assuming the user touch types, and that asymmetry is bad.
At last but not least,

That's true, but don't forget I didn't just look at it and did the review, I used it for a whole week. The board isn't foreign to me, just very much not my bag :p However, I'm more than used to people getting extremely offended by my bag not being theirs - off the top of mny head quite a few ortholinear users were outraged in that review that I didn't like the same things as they do xD .

zrrion

16 Apr 2019, 20:03

I think "doesn't aggravate RSI with frequent use" is a decent metric for what is ergonomic. By that metric I think the default layout is ergonomic enough for most users. That's not an especially useful definition though and its because the term ergonomic is rather broad. All keyboards, to varying extents are designed for ergonomics. Having different personal requirements for achieving ergonomics means that we should be using more specific vernacular, not arguing about how our personal ergonomic needs not align with someone else's.

Return to “Keyboards”