Membrane Keyboard Encoder PCBs - Experience Replacing?

groinksan

11 Jun 2018, 15:13

1138h.jpg
1138h.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Here's something you don't see people doing often... Every article I've found regarding keyboard encoder PCBs from membrane keyboard, the person is attempting to re-use the PCB for something else.

I'm thinking about doing the opposite: replace the keyboard encoder PCB, and replacing it with a custom PCB, while keeping the rest of the keyboard. The reason I'm doing this is that the application requires direct access to the switches, rather than trying to translate something already done like PS/2 or the like. I've laid out a PCB in Eagle PCB that fits where the original PCB sat, complete with the fingers that make contact with the flex cable sheet.

I haven't yet send off the PCB for fabrication. What I want to check is to see if anyone here has experience doing a PCB replacement like this. My major concern are the fingers on the PCB. The original PCB uses a black conductive paint that covers the fingers. And, I've seen this paint on all samples I've come across.

So my question is: Is this conductive paint required for the PCB to work with the flex cable?

11 Jun 2018, 17:50

Wouldn't think so. Look at original Model M controllers and their membrane ribbon connectors.

Return to “Keyboards”