Just did some experiments with spray can paints on my model f XT

ag36

16 Jun 2018, 00:50

Restored my first XT this week, did some experiments with rustoleum.

Post polishing
IMG_20180615_015747 (1).jpg
IMG_20180615_015747 (1).jpg (5.04 MiB) Viewed 6045 times
Before polishing
IMG_20180614_173530.jpg
IMG_20180614_173530.jpg (4.42 MiB) Viewed 6045 times
Step is:

Matte primer, matte metallic silver, metallic gunmetal, matte clear, polishing paste, old towel.
Last edited by ag36 on 16 Jun 2018, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Jun 2018, 00:54

Looks great dude. I don’t wanna be a wet blanket but I think I like it even better before polishing. Either way, light years better than any paint job I’ve ever done!

ag36

16 Jun 2018, 01:03

snacksthecat wrote: Looks great dude. I don’t wanna be a wet blanket but I think I like it even better before polishing. Either way, light years better than any paint job I’ve ever done!
Painting are quite fun once you get used to it :)

Wingklip

16 Jun 2018, 02:12

It doesn't scratch to the fingernail does it?

ag36

16 Jun 2018, 03:01

Wingklip wrote: It doesn't scratch to the fingernail does it?
No, the clear coat seems to be harder than some metal after a week of curing.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Jun 2018, 14:50

I have used Rustoleum's metallic and hammered finishes exclusively for the last few years. I love them AND they can often hide minor blemishes!

Unfortunately, in the US many of the best colors have these weird-ass top handle/nozzles that are awful, in my opinion, because they start out putting out blobs and and don't give a consistent fine spray until they have been running for a second or more.

green-squid

16 Jun 2018, 15:19

Turned out great, I wish I could buy paint like this in Hungary. The Acrylic green paint I painted my zenith plate with is very easy to sratch off.

'Matte primer, matte metallic silver, metallic gunmetal, matte clear, polishing paste'
And looks like you have to apply a lot of other things to get a good result. What if, let's say, I just wanted to paint an F XT plate blue or gold and have the paint not come off?
Also, may want to get a replacement badge: workshop-f7/reproduction-logo-badges-fo ... bm%20badge

Dingster

16 Jun 2018, 15:45

Woah this looks awesome, reminds me of marble

ag36

16 Jun 2018, 18:19

fohat wrote: I have used Rustoleum's metallic and hammered finishes exclusively for the last few years. I love them AND they can often hide minor blemishes!

Unfortunately, in the US many of the best colors have these weird-ass top handle/nozzles that are awful, in my opinion, because they start out putting out blobs and and don't give a consistent fine spray until they have been running for a second or more.
I think the key is to let the spray can rest longer after each pass to ensure better air pressure and shake it again before use but I am not sure if this applies to US ones, the "blobs" are likely caused by low gas pressure or condensed paint.

green-squid wrote: Turned out great, I wish I could buy paint like this in Hungary. The Acrylic green paint I painted my zenith plate with is very easy to sratch off.

'Matte primer, matte metallic silver, metallic gunmetal, matte clear, polishing paste'
And looks like you have to apply a lot of other things to get a good result. What if, let's say, I just wanted to paint an F XT plate blue or gold and have the paint not come off?
Also, may want to get a replacement badge: workshop-f7/reproduction-logo-badges-fo ... bm%20badge

You need to apply clear coat and primer for better adhesion and hardness also use oil based paint if you can, also degrease the item you want to paint.

ag36

16 Jun 2018, 18:20

ag36 wrote:
fohat wrote: I have used Rustoleum's metallic and hammered finishes exclusively for the last few years. I love them AND they can often hide minor blemishes!

I think the key is to let the spray can rest longer after each pass to ensure better air pressure and shake it again before use but I am not sure if this applies to US ones, the "blobs" are likely caused by low gas pressure or condensed paint.

green-squid wrote: Turned out great, I wish I could buy paint like this in Hungary. The Acrylic green paint I painted my zenith plate with is very easy to sratch off.

Thanks for letting me know about the badge, unfortunately it don't have "personal computer" print for XT but still nice to know it exists.

You need to apply clear coat and primer for better adhesion and hardness also use oil based paint if you can, also degrease the item you want to paint.
Dingster wrote: Woah this looks awesome, reminds me of marble
Inspiration was from my non stick frypan :)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

16 Jun 2018, 19:43

I really like the Rustoleum Paint+Primer, makes painting a breeze. :)

ag36

16 Jun 2018, 20:20

Blaise170 wrote: I really like the Rustoleum Paint+Primer, makes painting a breeze. :)
They cures so quick and tough :D

Tha_Pig

17 Jun 2018, 21:51

It looks beautiful. Great job.

haanuman

18 Jun 2018, 11:11

Woah that looks pretty neat man. Good Job :)

Elrick

18 Jun 2018, 11:51

ag36 wrote:
Wingklip wrote: It doesn't scratch to the fingernail does it?
No, the clear coat seems to be harder than some metal after a week of curing.
All the 2-Pack Clear Epoxies when hardened over a few days are very tough. I've even tried to damage it with a pick axe once and only the metal panel was disfigured but the coating held it's shape, did not even chip or crack.

Just surprised with what they're releasing today.

andrewjoy

18 Jun 2018, 11:56

Oh no you poor XT , what did that mean man do to you ! He cut bits off !

The paint looks good tho , its not what i would use on a case but it would make a hell of a paint job for a case IMO.

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 19:14

andrewjoy wrote: Oh no you poor XT , what did that mean man do to you ! He cut bits off !

The paint looks good tho , its not what i would use on a case but it would make a hell of a paint job for a case IMO.
This deal is getting worse all the time :P

It's not quite done, the filler I used shrinked after I finished clear coat but I got tired for now... also too much dust on it. I need to get some rest :| .
Attachments
IMG_20180620_181051.jpg
IMG_20180620_181051.jpg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 5692 times
IMG_20180620_180916_1.jpg
IMG_20180620_180916_1.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 5692 times

Dingster

20 Jun 2018, 21:38

Just looks like a slab of polished marble :mrgreen:

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 22:59

Dingster wrote: Just looks like a slab of polished marble :mrgreen:
That's part of the original concept :D , also weighs like a slab of marble.

andrewjoy

25 Jun 2018, 11:13

andrewjoy wrote: Oh no you poor XT , what did that mean man do to you ! He cut bits off !

That is PLATE not case , it would make a hell of a paint job for a plate.

In fact, it would be a good match for my dell AT101w in an SGI case with the new PCB. As its like granite but dark

Wingklip

01 Aug 2018, 13:16

I've been using the 2x gloss paints from rusto but they seen to scratch easily and melt after contact with meth and oil.

Am I doing something wrong here? I've read that the primer is included in the paint

ag36

02 Aug 2018, 03:04

You need clear coat and least two weeks for curing, what do you mean by "meth"? Also, clean the item thoroughly with cleaner before painting.

Wingklip

03 Aug 2018, 16:27

2 WEEKS??????
I mean, if I rest my wrist on the keyboard, the painted area likes to start melting into oils from my hands. Same happens when I use methylated Spirits

TuxKey
LLAP

03 Aug 2018, 17:42

i can't tell the difference between my new tada68 alu gray case.. impressive mate..

Chyros

03 Aug 2018, 17:55

That looks beautiful. Modern, even. Great job mate :) .

ShivaYash

03 Aug 2018, 18:11

Woah! A lovely job...

ag36

03 Aug 2018, 22:17

Thanks!
Wingklip wrote: 2 WEEKS??????
I mean, if I rest my wrist on the keyboard, the painted area likes to start melting into oils from my hands. Same happens when I use methylated Spirits

Never ever let painted material touch solvents and always wash your hands before touching any non chemical resilient polymer if you have contacted with any mineral spirit or petroleum distillates.

Wingklip

04 Aug 2018, 09:04

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my hands emit body oils

ag36

04 Aug 2018, 14:24

Unless you are Space Marine or Xenomorph, time to get different brand of paints then.

Wingklip

22 Oct 2018, 11:41

ag36 wrote: Unless you are Space Marine or Xenomorph, time to get different brand of paints then.
Rustoleum is trash then? Any recommendations?

Return to “Keyboards”