Just did some experiments with spray can paints on my model f XT

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Oct 2018, 14:53

I have had excellent experience with Rustoleum, although I use separate primers and paints. That doesn't seem like an area for shortcuts to me.

But curing times are a bit fuzzy, and some people have much different skin oils. Personally, I have very dry skin, so my experiences may not be the norm.

Wingklip

22 Oct 2018, 16:44

fohat wrote: I have had excellent experience with Rustoleum, although I use separate primers and paints. That doesn't seem like an area for shortcuts to me.

But curing times are a bit fuzzy, and some people have much different skin oils. Personally, I have very dry skin, so my experiences may not be the norm.
I'm going to grab a litre of cyanoacrylate from aliexpress to see if I can paint with a silicone brush or dip the entire structure in it to rust proof the board.

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Oct 2018, 16:56

Rustoleum is the only way to go for metal.

As I understand it, Krylon has a line specifically for plastic that may be teh better choice there.

Wingklip

23 Oct 2018, 03:40

I guess their "primer included" series doesn't do too well then...

Time to get some I guess. How thick should the prime coat be?

Waxwood

23 Oct 2018, 06:25

Is the keyboard case cast zinc or plastic? If its plastic, I'm amazed- I didn't realize it would take paint so well.

Wingklip

23 Oct 2018, 11:13

Waxwood wrote: Is the keyboard case cast zinc or plastic? If its plastic, I'm amazed- I didn't realize it would take paint so well.
Steel back and plastic (pvc?) front cover

Return to “Keyboards”