What was/is the worst keyboard/switch you have ever tried?

Big Bricced

20 Jun 2018, 08:23

For me... the worst keyboard/switch I have ever used or tried was the Acer Predator Triton 700's (laptop) keyboard which is supposed to be "mechanical" because gamers love this mechanical category because it just isn't membrane so Acer decided to ditch this into the keyboard. BTW the switches were way beyond clusterfucked (very mushy, very scratchy, light years far from smooth, barely any tactility, travel distance feels too short, uncomfortable, and pretty loud too.) Lightyears worse than Microsoft's shitty Wired Keyboard 600 which is a fucked-hard membrane-with-slider keyboard.
Last edited by Big Bricced on 20 Jun 2018, 08:36, edited 3 times in total.

samuelcable

20 Jun 2018, 08:29

the worst ive tried is cherry MY but apparently it can get even worse... I don't wanna imagine that

xxhellfirexx

20 Jun 2018, 09:23

Fujitsu slider over dome. More complicated than a regular rubber dome, but a less tactile and more mushy feeling.

https://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... h_is_this/

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Jun 2018, 10:10

Marquardt Series 6184 for sure!

Totally ruins the awesome Marquardt Mini-Ergo

Elrick

20 Jun 2018, 11:32

Over time I change my own viewpoint upon certain switches I've used in my life.

My first ever Cherry switch being a Brown version was pukkienanmously disgusting. Scratchy as my own ball sack but without the sweat for lubrication, that keeps it cool and moist during the horrid summer months.

Still HATE even using any type of keyboard that has Cherry Brown switches, just too horrid under any circumstance to use.

Another 'Terribad' switch that is being pushed about on MassDrop continuously, is the Halo True's - what are they, trying to be tactile but isn't. Either you ARE tactile or you leave the building. Bad move to sell these crappy switches who claim to be Thorpie like and isn't.

Sometimes you have to take a long hard look at yourself, DO NOT ever try to copy a Thorpie style of switch. It's impossible to achieve and those clowns at Input Club, need to take a long cold shower on themselves.

Imagine some Fool today, wanting to copy a Japanese Thorpie, can not be done. Go get a Realforce and be happy they at least produce a real decent keyboard, during these times.
Last edited by Elrick on 20 Jun 2018, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

RealityCavesIn

20 Jun 2018, 11:33

Wodan wrote: Marquardt Series 6184 for sure!

Totally ruins the awesome Marquardt Mini-Ergo
The 6180 series is awful also. Scratchy, squeaky, wobbly and and all around bad typing experience.

depletedvespene

20 Jun 2018, 13:41

When I was in university, we had a "PC lab" for the students that had a bunch of Olivetti PCs that were both old and undercared for, and would have had been replaced at least two times over in any healthy company or school — I called them the "living dead computers". The keyboards, in particular, were rubber domes that had ALL the issues of old RDs, and were hell to use. I remember there was a particular computer everyone avoided (and was therefore always the last seat to be filled) especifically because the N and M keys needed to be pressed so hard for them to register, that typing with any speed was impossible.

Findecanor

20 Jun 2018, 13:45

xxhellfirexx wrote: Fujitsu slider over dome. More complicated than a regular rubber dome, but a less tactile and more mushy feeling.
It is just the domes.
Unfortunately it is not just an age issue. I have one of these that was NIB that felt crap. However, I replaced the dome sheet with domes from a Key Tronic and it became decent.
Sun Type 7 has a later variant of this switch where the domes are quite good, but I dunno if the sliders are different.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Jun 2018, 14:49

I can think of numerous boards that I could give the distinction of worst to, but it would most likely be the Panasonic keyboard I got when I first got into keyboards. It was Amstrad leaf spring over membrane and it is by far one of the worst switch types I've ever had the displeasure of using. All of the mushiness of a rubber dome combined with the overly complicated spring inside the keycap which pushes down on a leaf spring which then closes the circuit on the membrane. Then add in a terrible layout and the worst pad printed keycaps I've ever seen and you have the formula for worst keyboard on earth.

nickg

20 Jun 2018, 15:54

Worst mechanical : MODERN cherry mx name brand switches. I dont know how they make them so scratchy but its horrid, and dont get me started on brown feeling like a linear with dirt in the slider. Khial, gateron, and zealios dont have that ick, nor did the nib classic black switches i was lucky enough to get to try.

Non mech: Fujitsu slider over dome just ew

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

20 Jun 2018, 16:54

dirty alps easily. any variety... all bad. especially one plate of dampened creams I had. Even 1u keys would bind awfully.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

20 Jun 2018, 16:55

nickg wrote: Worst mechanical : MODERN cherry mx name brand switches. I dont know how they make them so scratchy but its horrid, and dont get me started on brown feeling like a linear with dirt in the slider. Khial, gateron, and zealios dont have that ick, nor did the nib classic black switches i was lucky enough to get to try.

Non mech: Fujitsu slider over dome just ew
cherry switches have all been retooled recently, and apparently are as smooth as their vintage counterparts. I assume you mean pre retool stuff made with 25+ year old molds.

zslane

20 Jun 2018, 19:07

IBM Model M. Hands down.

xxhellfirexx

20 Jun 2018, 19:16

zslane wrote: IBM Model M. Hands down.
What in particular? Noise, tactility, build quality, etc?

samuelcable

20 Jun 2018, 19:35

Model M is definitely the worst sounding board I've ever used (but don't mind the feel too much)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Jun 2018, 19:37

Maybe the Model M isn't your cup of tea but it's far from the worst of keyboards.

depletedvespene

20 Jun 2018, 19:38

You're just trying to troll us, right? :mrgreen:

codemonkeymike

20 Jun 2018, 19:40

Halo True, while not the worst ever they are the most over hyped switch. Can't stand how heavy they are and how they just flop over the tactile bump. Like take the thing I like least about old linear switches and rubber domes and put them together.
Last edited by codemonkeymike on 20 Jun 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 19:41

Maybe he had a Quiet Touch M(the rubber dome one) :D

depletedvespene

20 Jun 2018, 19:45

ag36 wrote: Maybe he had a Quiet Touch M(the rubber dome one) :D
I got one of those, and it's still better than some mechanical switches out there (YMMV).

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 20:01

depletedvespene wrote:
I got one of those, and it's still better than some mechanical switches out there (YMMV).
I really want one if I can get a one in decent condition cheap in the UK, orihalcon got two NIB but shipping is, well.

depletedvespene

20 Jun 2018, 20:13

ag36 wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
I really want one if I can get a one in decent condition cheap in the UK, orihalcon got two NIB but shipping is, well.
I don't know in how good of a shape this one might be, but at least seems to be cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392068513984/

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 20:43

Thanks! Unfortunately I can't use german layout :)

Dingster

20 Jun 2018, 20:53

ag36 wrote: Thanks! Unfortunately I can't use german layout :)
Its UK ISO with a little bit of imagination :D

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 20:57

Dingster wrote:
ag36 wrote: Thanks! Unfortunately I can't use german layout :)
Its UK ISO with a little bit of imagination :D
I know :D

zslane

20 Jun 2018, 21:18

depletedvespene wrote:
You're just trying to troll us, right? :mrgreen:
Not by intent, no.

It looks like trolling because so many folks have this inexplicable hard-on for IBM Model F/M/SSK keyboards which I can't relate to at all. I have hated these keyboards since the first time I ever typed on one in the early 1980s, and 35 years of keyboard developments since then have not changed my feelings on the matter.

I don't think of it as trolling because I'm not trying to provoke a fight, or even a response. I'm just letting the community know that not everyone thinks highly of those awful things.

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 21:25

In which case, just an unpopular opinion than.

I wonder why you don't them? Too loud? Too heavy? Layout?

zslane

20 Jun 2018, 21:26

xxhellfirexx wrote:
What in particular? Noise, tactility, build quality, etc?
Sound, feel, and aesthetics.

I don't dispute that they are built fairly well, but they are nevertheless a dramatic step down from the (far more impressive) beamspring keyboards that preceded them. They are noisy in the worst possible way (that awful click-ping sound), they send unpleasant vibrations through the fingers, they use cylindrical keycaps with unattractive dye-sub legends, and they have a bland gray color scheme that was designed to fit into the mind-numbing aesthetic of corporate offices. Gee, what's not to love? :roll:

ag36

20 Jun 2018, 21:28

What's your favorite keyboard? I understand the noise of buckling spring can be unbearable for some people.

zslane

20 Jun 2018, 21:30

ag36 wrote: In which case, just an unpopular opinion than.
Yeah, I'm well aware of how unpopular my opinion is.

Then again, I also loathe the Toyota Prius. I think it is the cockroach of the automotive world, an opinion clearly not shared by the millions of Prius owners. If anything, the degree of popularity (of something I despise) only tends to make me despise it that much more, if for no other reason than I can't avoid them wherever I go.

Return to “Keyboards”