ABS in dishwasher?

eekee

05 Jul 2018, 09:59

Just checking, are ABS keycaps likely to survive a run through the dishwasher? It's not a classic keyboard, in fact it's one I'm a little bit annoyed with, but would just be useful right now.

Chyros

05 Jul 2018, 10:11

ABS doesn't like hot water. I'd avoid it.

eekee

05 Jul 2018, 10:15

Thanks. Someone mentioned denture tabs, maybe I'll try them.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Jul 2018, 10:27

I've run dozens of Cherry Classic Beige ABS Doubleshots and G80/Model M Keyboard cases through a dish washer and haven't had any issues with them!

I did however see rare issues with darker ABS like White-on-Black or Skidata keycaps.

My dish washer has a 45°C program which is a borderline temperature for ABS caps. Anything higher than 50°C is really not recommended at all and at 45°C you might be on the safe side for many types of ABS. Be aware there are tons of different kinds of ABS - just compare a bag of legit LEGOs with a bag of China fakes.

The best way to go is ultrasonic cleaning.

eekee

05 Jul 2018, 10:56

Thanks Wodan. They are indeed white on black in appearance if not brand. My dishwasher doesn't have any temperature indications and it's plumbed into the hot water line, so I'd best not try it.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Jul 2018, 11:29

I see ... well in that case I'd do a test run with a cap you're not too attached to ;)

Chyros

05 Jul 2018, 11:55

The thickness of the caps also matters. Thin, tall ABS is more easily warped than low-slung, thick stuff.

eekee

05 Jul 2018, 13:16

THat makes sense. They're not thin but they are full-height, and the stem is part of the cap. It would be bad if that warps.

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Jul 2018, 14:01

That seems low. I thought the warp temperature was more in the range of 180F/80C.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Jul 2018, 15:20

fohat wrote: That seems low. I thought the warp temperature was more in the range of 180F/80C.
Correct, but many dishwashers have a "sterilize" setting which basically boils the water (which naturally is 100C).

TuxKey
LLAP

05 Jul 2018, 15:24

ever since i watched Wodan clean using his ultrasone cleaner i knew one day i would get one..
as soon as i have the space for it.. sucks living in a small apartment..

here's the vid ...
https://youtu.be/l1wl9Vm3zdM

hahaha

Findecanor

05 Jul 2018, 20:55

Ultrasonic is probably best. I think denture cleaning tabs contain abrasives and hydrogen peroxide.

Anyway, the best cleaning tip: Use a washing bag! That way you can wash, rinse and dry all keys as one unit.

eekee

08 Jul 2018, 12:17

Before posting this, I read a thread describing an ultrasonic cleaner not working well on plastic, taking far longer than it did on metal. In the end, one of the guys found 48 hours with some denture tabs worked much better. There's that, and my lack of space, and my experience of PBS caps coming up fine in the dishwasher which all persuades me not to buy one.

I've currently got the ABS caps in a sealed container with ordinary dish-washing liquid, agitated at intervals. I'll post how they come out later.

kekstee

08 Jul 2018, 12:38

Ultrasonic works best. Of course it also depends on the cleaning agent used.
I wouldn't go beyond 40°C on ABS.

mark201200

10 Jul 2018, 14:06

I've tried cleaning caps with Oxi Clean. Works wonders, just soak them for a couple of hours.

Return to “Keyboards”