My Wyse WY-60 with Box Navy Switches

abrahamstechnology

07 Jul 2018, 22:05

Hello, I got this Wyse WY-60 keyboard off of Ebay, and I replaced the MX black switches with Kailh Box Navies (except for the numpad, I ran out of Boxes so I used blue switches) Now I'm waiting for a Teensy to arrive so I can convert it to USB (may need some help with that later). Enjoy!
DSC00386.JPG
DSC00386.JPG (6.31 MiB) Viewed 4504 times
DSC00388.JPG
DSC00388.JPG (6.13 MiB) Viewed 4504 times

Dingster

07 Jul 2018, 22:06

Wonderful! Love these wyse boards :D
Mind doing a typing test?

abrahamstechnology

07 Jul 2018, 22:16

Sure, but I'd like to get it functional first.

Findecanor

08 Jul 2018, 04:36

Colour-matched stem and keycap. Nice. :)

abrahamstechnology

16 Jul 2018, 18:10

I just got my Teensy in the mail, will work on converting it later, but I am thinking of selling this keyboard (converted to USB), how much would you pay for this?

abrahamstechnology

18 Jul 2018, 15:19

Update: Successfully flashed the Teensy with Soarer's Wyseverter, and connected it to the keyboard via an Ethernet cable (The original cable was way too flimsy and the strands kept breaking) I 3D printed a case for the Teensy (which I unfortunately had to file down somewhat as it was designed wrong, the USB cable wouldn't insert properly).
All the keys are working except one (the "Print Send" key, although I'm not sure if it's even supposed to do anything) and I left it with a family member to use for a day, to see if she encounters any problems with it.

Another thing, I lost one of the screws for the bottom case, does anyone happen to know the size so I can order some more?

ScottPaladin

18 Jul 2018, 15:23

abrahamstechnology wrote: Another thing, I lost one of the screws for the bottom case, does anyone happen to know the size so I can order some more?
My Wyse is M4. Try your local hardware store or auto parts dealer before you order online, cheaper and faster.

abrahamstechnology

18 Jul 2018, 16:12

My Wyse is M4. Try your local hardware store or auto parts dealer before you order online, cheaper and faster.[/quote]

Thanks!

abrahamstechnology

24 Jul 2018, 17:04

Update: Traded it with a co-worker for a bunch of laptop RAM. Will make more in the future!

ag36

27 Jul 2018, 03:24

:)
Attachments
IMG_20180726_163253.jpg
IMG_20180726_163253.jpg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 4137 times
IMG_20180726_161536.jpg
IMG_20180726_161536.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 4137 times

abrahamstechnology

27 Jul 2018, 04:48

ag36 wrote: :)
Nice, are those damped Cherry Reds?

Elrick

27 Jul 2018, 07:24

ag36 wrote: :)
Beautiful restore but you should of used a BOX switch instead.

This keyboard was made for heavy duty clicks, using silent switches seems like a wasted opportunity.

Not putting you down for the work you've put into this, it's FIRST class all the way. I would of personally gone with either BOX Navy's, Jades, Pale Blues or Royals.

A heavy built keyboard desperately needs it's HEAVY switches :ugeek: .

ag36

27 Jul 2018, 12:48

Yes, silent red. I didn't use box switches because I wanted this old keyboard to stay traditional style with cherry also I feel damped linear might be sort of nice story telling for "Silent high quality keyboard for mainframes" :D. Another reason is because The keycaps were quite thin, not sure if they handles box switches well.

abrahamstechnology

28 Jul 2018, 00:44

ag36 wrote: Yes, silent red. I didn't use box switches because I wanted this old keyboard to stay traditional style with cherry also I feel damped linear might be sort of nice story telling for "Silent high quality keyboard for mainframes" :D. Another reason is because The keycaps were quite thin, not sure if they handles box switches well.
Yes, the Box Navies cracked some of my keycaps. I fixed them all with superglue, but some are noticeably crooked.

I think I'll get some kind of metal keycap to ream the switches on my future builds, until Kailh fixes their molds.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

28 Jul 2018, 01:28

Elrick wrote: This keyboard was made for heavy duty clicks, using silent switches seems like a wasted opportunity.
pretty sure it was made for MX blacks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

abrahamstechnology

28 Jul 2018, 02:04

mike52787 wrote:
Elrick wrote: This keyboard was made for heavy duty clicks, using silent switches seems like a wasted opportunity.
Yeah, but then again, it was also made for a terminal, which probably none of us use this board for...

Elrick

28 Jul 2018, 03:34

abrahamstechnology wrote:
mike52787 wrote:
Yeah, but then again, it was also made for a terminal, which probably none of us use this board for...
You are ALL correct in a way.

Besides there are people who actually like Linear switches (unbelievable, I know).

This Damaging key-caps phenomenon is giving me heart burn thinking about it and the caps already on my BOX switches will stay there, I do not have the nerve to ever remove them again.

Every time I need a new keyboard have to buy a whole new set of key-caps, the NEW reality (good for capitalism, bad for wallet) :( .

stu-rem

31 Jul 2018, 11:50

Elrick wrote: Every time I need a new keyboard have to buy a whole new set of key-caps, the NEW reality (good for capitalism, bad for wallet) :( .
Or vice-versa: see & buy keycap set, now I need a new keyboard! ... either way, they both add up. :-(

Famn, wish I'd kept some/any old Wyse 50 or Wyse 60 keyboards, from years/decades gone by... didn't even think of salvaging just the keyboard. I recall Pyramid Unix minis using Wyse 60 (or 50?) as consoles... mostly the amber phosphor screens IIRC, which were very nice on the eyes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Elrick

02 Aug 2018, 13:09

stu-rem wrote: I recall Pyramid Unix minis using Wyse 60 (or 50?) as consoles... mostly the amber phosphor screens IIRC, which were very nice on the eyes.
You're joking right, because those amber coloured screens nearly killed me. After looking at them for an hour or so I couldn't easily perceive colour for a few days later.

Horrid experience and it drove me away from all PC's at that time in my life. The Green on black screens attracted me back after my initial 'bad' experience.

Never want anything to do with Amber again.

andrewjoy

02 Aug 2018, 13:22

Amber is WAY nicer than green for me . Not as harsh.

Chyros

02 Aug 2018, 16:49

LOVED the amber screen on my 5155 =o . I could (and did) stare at it for hours!

So serene!

Return to “Keyboards”