Optimal keyboard position?

bugfix

20 Feb 2011, 22:16

Hi,

could anyone tell me the recommended distance of the keyboard to the edge of the table? Personally, I like to keep the keyboard relatively far away from me, ~30 cm to be exact, but I'm not sure if that's "good" for me.

Minskleip

20 Feb 2011, 23:08

I keep it so far away so that the middle of my forarms rest on the edge of the desk. That way my hands hoover over the keyboard, and I can have a bad posture at the same time! Right now I'm resting my legs on my sub.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Feb 2011, 23:33

I always assumed the most optimal position from an ergonomic point of view would be where your arms are almost stretched out?

Personally For me its quite the opposite. I have quite bad eyes and usually ignore my ancient glasses when computing, so I have both the screen and the keyboard pretty close. I would say maybe 20cm away from the desk edge, a total of maybe 40cm~50cm from my chest. Anything but optimal, but it works for me and I did not suffer from major RSI in quite a while.

Minskleip

20 Feb 2011, 23:51

So you had RSI before?

The only time I've had any pain in my arms from using a computer is when playing FPS games on fullsize boards, on WASD. Then I get pain in my left shoulder. Haven't had that when using my portable board I think..

sixty
Gasbag Guru

21 Feb 2011, 00:42

Minskleip wrote:So you had RSI before?

The only time I've had any pain in my arms from using a computer is when playing FPS games on fullsize boards, on WASD. Then I get pain in my left shoulder. Haven't had that when using my portable board I think..
It never really fully developed, but I had severe pain in my wrists up to even my shoulder blades. When I finally went to see a doctor he warned me that I should really do something about my computing habits. I felt like that was the worst ever 10 Euro investment (thats what it costs to see a doctor every 1/4 year), since he told me nothing I could not have already guessed with the help of Google. I usually took a few days break when it happened and eventually learned to adjust to a wrist rest. Its not a perfect solution and by no means a protection against RSI, but it sure helps.

I also tried to force myself to use one of those "time for a break!" tools that lock your computer for a few minutes every __ hours. Could not adjust to that however, especially not when on tight deadlines or long gaming sessions.

I'm sure one day I'll eventually end up with a fully developed RSI, but for now I'm trying hard to avoid it happening.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Feb 2011, 00:50

I had mild RSI from mousing, it ended when I started using the Datahand and lots of different devices (lots of variation).

Minskleip

21 Feb 2011, 01:09

That sounds horrible. Good it's so cheap to see the doctor for you. Where I live it's 60 just for a chat!

nanu

21 Feb 2011, 02:07

Whatever causes you least pain in the long term is the answer because it's too hard to suggest anything without implying a change to limiting factors such as your chair, desk, keyboard, screen, and other peripherals, so if you're looking for a more specific recommendation you may have to divulge more about your configuration.

But there's no need to answer the following because I wouldn't know what to do with these numbers.
How low is your keyboard surface relative to your line of sight to the screen?
What percent do you slouch or sit straight up or recline?
What is the length of your arms' two primary segments?
How wide is your chest?

bugfix

21 Feb 2011, 11:31

sixty wrote:10 Euro investment (thats what it costs to see a doctor every 1/4 year),
Private insurance ftw. :lol:

Mrinterface

21 Feb 2011, 11:54

The most optimal keyboard position relative to the table is based on the amount of space that is available to me... That is why I like smaller keyboards since they help make more room available.

bugfix

21 Feb 2011, 12:41

Mrinterface wrote:The most optimal keyboard position relative to the table is based on the amount of space that is available to me... That is why I like smaller keyboards since they help make more room available.
So...the farther away, the better?

microsoft windows

21 Feb 2011, 18:47

I keep my keyboards on the very edge of the table and rest my arms on my chair (It's got armrests). That way, my wrists are elevated while typing and and I'm more comfortable.

runeazn

23 Feb 2011, 19:35

hmm i just sit how comfortable i am..
so so close as possible.
so bended arms
Last edited by runeazn on 23 Feb 2011, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

23 Feb 2011, 19:38

It is generally covered by insurance, but every quarter of a year you have to pay 10 Euros directly when visiting the doctor.

microsoft windows

24 Feb 2011, 00:07

bugfix wrote:
Mrinterface wrote:The most optimal keyboard position relative to the table is based on the amount of space that is available to me... That is why I like smaller keyboards since they help make more room available.
So...the farther away, the better?
Not at all. Keep the keyboard at the edge of the table so you'll keep your wrists elevated and won't rest them while typing. Also be sure to not use the keyboard feet and keep the keyboard flat as possible (maybe even tilt it the other way).

They always say a picture says a thousand words, so I drew you one in Windows 3.1 Paint.

Minskleip

24 Feb 2011, 00:32

Then what do you have to say about the Mtron with it's higher centre?

microsoft windows

24 Feb 2011, 00:40

Could you please show me picture of one so I can understand better?

What I was getting at in my last post was how resting your wrist while typing is a bad idea and causes RSI.

Minskleip

24 Feb 2011, 00:47

Not flat at all. You could have it flat though.

microsoft windows

24 Feb 2011, 00:53

It's good to keep a normal keyboard flat so your wrists are not bent like they were in the picture, but this keyboard, like many ergonomic keyboards, is angled in a different way where your wrists are in a natural orientation, but your arms are in a slightly different (and probably better) position than while typing on a standard keyboard.

Minskleip

24 Feb 2011, 00:58

You're refering to the / \ layout?

microsoft windows

24 Feb 2011, 01:16

Yes.

Minskleip

24 Feb 2011, 01:53

But it's still far from flat.

JinDesu

04 Mar 2011, 16:49

The way I understand, your wrists should not be touching anything while you type. Even wrist-rests should only be rested on when you are not typing. With that in mind, I generally keep my keyboard at the distance where my elbow is slightly in front of me and my forearm rests lightly on the edge of the table to pivot for my wrist to remain in the air. I can't quantify that distance right now, but I would imagine a description of distance would be more useful for people of different body sizes than an absolute number.

Also important is that (and this is where smaller keyboards shine) your shoulder and arm should reach directly towards the keyboard and mouse in front of you, forearms close to parallel. The further apart your forearms have to be (if you had an extremely wide keyboard), the more stress there is on your shoulders and back.

Sugoi

16 Mar 2011, 18:25

bugfix wrote:Hi,

could anyone tell me the recommended distance of the keyboard to the edge of the table? Personally, I like to keep the keyboard relatively far away from me, ~30 cm to be exact, but I'm not sure if that's "good" for me.
I was taught to position the keyboard as close to the table's edge as possible. So one doesn't get the opportunity to "rest" one's arm on the edge. In fact that's the very bad because it can cause CTS.

Floob

16 Mar 2011, 22:04

I've tried putting my keyboard close to the edge of my table, but without any support from my chair for my arms, they get tired quickly.

My keyboard's about 8 inches from the edge of my desk now.

Culinia

17 Mar 2011, 09:43

I put my keyboard about 4" from the edge of my desk and the 'B' key is centred to the monitor.

Don't know if this is correct though. And I personally never use the raisers since I find it uncomfortable and it bends your wrists.

Lenny_Nero

17 Mar 2011, 20:45

I thought it was more about what does not cause any pain == the best place.

I have always found that my keyboards end up at an angle to the front of the desk.
With the right hand side about twice as far from me as the left,
I always thought that was because I never really move my left hand but do so with the right.

I know the the mouse should be quite a long way away from you so that your forarm, or at the least your wrist is on the desk and supported.

intealls

18 Mar 2011, 11:54

microsoft windows wrote: Keep the keyboard at the edge of the table so you'll keep your wrists elevated and won't rest them while typing. Also be sure to not use the keyboard feet and keep the keyboard flat as possible (maybe even tilt it the other way).
This is a great tip. My wrists are definitely less sore using this setup for extended periods.

Culinia

18 Mar 2011, 18:07

Lenny_Nero wrote:I thought it was more about what does not cause any pain == the best place.

I have always found that my keyboards end up at an angle to the front of the desk.
With the right hand side about twice as far from me as the left,
I always thought that was because I never really move my left hand but do so with the right.

I know the the mouse should be quite a long way away from you so that your forarm, or at the least your wrist is on the desk and supported.
I thought the closer the mouse the better it is since you do not have to reach far for the mouse. But hey I guess whatever is most comfortable to you ;)

lucidlts

18 Mar 2011, 18:14

for certain case, you dont really need a mouse :p
Vim-ers here btw

Return to “Keyboards”