ded

Big Bricced

13 Jul 2018, 09:08

dwqwdqw
Last edited by Big Bricced on 02 Oct 2022, 08:33, edited 4 times in total.

glaurung

14 Jul 2018, 05:30

When it comes to USB to PS/2 adapters, there are tiers.

At the bottom end, the cheapest thing you can find from Monoprice or Amazon will work with modern PS/2 keyboards. They take the signal from the keyboard, rewire it, pass it on otherwise unchanged.

Next up, active adapters that actually manipulate the signal, making sure that the voltages and amperages stay within spec. This is the kind you need for Model M keyboards, for example. Best place to get such an adapter that I know of is https://clickykeyboards.com/product-cat ... onverters/

The Soarer's converter is the highest level. It's actually got a miniscule computer inside the adapter, and it takes the signals from the keyboard, decodes them, and outputs the proper signals to the USB port. It has an interface that will let you do key remapping and such inside the converter. You need an adapter like this for keyboards that fail to operate properly with either of the above, such as classic SGI Bigfoot keyboards. You can save 10% by ordering directly from the merchant via the geekhack forums (which is also the place to find documentation on the soarer's converter, and instructions for making a soarer's converter of your own from parts).

Laser
emacs -nw

14 Jul 2018, 13:32

Isn't Soarer's converter the other way though? (PS/2 -> USB, not vice versa).

Big Bricced

15 Jul 2018, 06:53

ded comment
Last edited by Big Bricced on 02 Oct 2022, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

cyberluke

16 May 2021, 03:25

Jaki1122

16 May 2021, 04:55

Big Bricced wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 06:53
It seems I confused you all with the two examples I have deleted off of the post. Actually I am looking for a USB A FEMALE to PS/2 active converter for the Topre. Btw I have just changed the title after making this comment/reply. I cannot really seem to find it anywhere instead it's male usb to ps/2.
So, you want to connect your USB keyboard to an adapter and get a ps2 connector to use it with an older PC? Is that right? Wow that's not exactly common, but I'd look on ebay and if not, try to DIY myself with an Arduino. There has to be something out there to output a PS2 signal and something to read from a USB keyboard.

Return to “Keyboards”