Anyone else with a Kinesis Freestyle Pro?

Gerk

20 Jul 2018, 13:19

So I got a Kinesis Freestyle Pro keyboard today (with browns, that's seeming the only option for them but that's fine as it is what I would have got anyway), so far it's not too bad. It has a bit too much ping for me already though. The palm wrests and the cheesy stick-on pads for them are a big disappointment. For a board at this price point I expected a little bit better than poorly cut (and I mean really poorly cut, it looks like the die wasn't setup right) stick-on foam bits ...

And the mac layout that's supposed to be pre-loaded in it (that move the modifier keys) don't seem to work. The firmware that it came with seems quite old (from almost a year ago) and I can't find a place that has any support files for this board. The main kinesis site has nothing but picture of it, and the gaming site has nothing but stuff for the edge. The firmware is at version 1.0.66 but the latest edge beta firmware is 1.0.340 ... so I'm thinking that a firmware update might help things out a bit.

I did manage to tuck more of the silly connecting wire into the compartment so now there's only a couple of inches of it out (yay) so at least there's that. I think I still have a full spare set of O-rings that I'm going to install now, because otherwise this ping is going to make me nutso. From all the reviews I read and watched online they talked about how there was no ping and that the keys were pretty quiet ... this board is quite the opposite!

One more thing to note ... is that these browns feel very funny, they almost feel like reds. Almost but not quite. They don't feel like browns either ... something sort of in between. It also seems like these keyboards are just not out there, I haven't found anyone else (except the helpful lady from the ergo online store that I bought it from) that know much of anything about these aside from the fact that they are the "office" version of the Kinesis Edge ... I considered the edge but it was a little too gamer for me, and besides this one has all the same good bits and was cheaper ... now if I can just figure out how to get updated firmware for it and get the layouts working as they are supposed to be I will be happier.

Return to “Keyboards”